• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Points Table/Standings

Athlai

Not Terrible
I think Pakistan vs NZ since about 2008 has been a very competitive matchup, and it blows my mind when people are referencing a lopsided record from before some of the current players were even born.

It's just entirely irrelevant.

Conway, Williamson, Mitchell and Phillips average 50+ vs Pakistan
Young averages 48 vs Pakistan

Henry, Boult and Ferg 25 with the ball vs Pakistan
Santner goes under 5 an over

This isn't a scary match up. They're a fine cricket team and could very well win. But only Australia is genuinely a bogey team for NZ from the remaining matches.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
If England remain in the bottom two - which is more than likely - new rules should be drawn up for future ODI World Cups,
The leading 8 should qualify for the next WC while the bottom 2 should have to qualify in a pool with other minnows.

Athlai

Not Terrible
The current system seems pretty good honestly.

Host qualifies, then top 7 from superleague, then 2 teams from qualifiers

West Indies appear to have been one win away (and NRR) from automatic qualification over South Africa.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Didn't an understrength NZ win an ODI series in Pakistan earlier this year? Should be narrow favourites imo. Australia look to be building up some steam so wouldn't be surprised if they roll over us. The SA game is really hard to predict, I'd have them slight favourites.

I'm about 70% confident NZ will be in the top 4, provided they can avoid any heavy thrashings.

EDIT: Pakistan won 4-1, must've been the T20 series I was thinking of. Still think it's the most winnable of the 3.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
The current system seems pretty good honestly.

Host qualifies, then top 7 from superleague, then 2 teams from qualifiers

West Indies appear to have been one win away (and NRR) from automatic qualification over South Africa.
There will be 14 teams next time, and the Super League has been abolished.

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
I think it’s not beyond the realms of possibility NZ will win 3/3 from these games, 2/3 is probably likely with wins vs Pakistan and one out of Aus/SA, and 1/3 minimum is pretty much certain.

Victor Ian

International Coach
I'm still not impressed by Australia. It's nice some guys are getting runs, but Starc, Haze and Cumster need to get their **** together or we are just making up the numbers. Winning Australian teams have always won on the back of the bowlers being up to any challenge when the batsman underperform. This team doesn't have that.

Athlai

Not Terrible
I'm still not impressed by Australia. It's nice some guys are getting runs, but Starc, Haze and Cumster need to get their **** together or we are just making up the numbers. Winning Australian teams have always won on the back of the bowlers being up to any challenge when the batsman underperform. This team doesn't have that.
I'd be talking smack about Australia if Starc hadn't given me all these psychological scars.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Didn't an understrength NZ win an ODI series in Pakistan earlier this year? Should be narrow favourites imo. Australia look to be building up some steam so wouldn't be surprised if they roll over us. The SA game is really hard to predict, I'd have them slight favourites.

I'm about 70% confident NZ will be in the top 4, provided they can avoid any heavy thrashings.

EDIT: Pakistan won 4-1, must've been the T20 series I was thinking of. Still think it's the most winnable of the 3.
Yeah, we won the T20s thanks to Mark Chapman, but lost the ODIs.

Still this is the team that won an ODI in Pakistan during the IPL:

Young, Blundell, Nicholls, Latham, Chapman, McConchie, Ravindra, Milne, Shipley, Henry, Sodhi

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
I think it’s not beyond the realms of possibility NZ will win 3/3 from these games, 2/3 is probably likely with wins vs Pakistan and one out of Aus/SA, and 1/3 minimum is pretty much certain.
1/3 is likely but then the game vs SL may become a must win match..

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
I think Pakistan vs NZ since about 2008 has been a very competitive matchup, and it blows my mind when people are referencing a lopsided record from before some of the current players were even born.

It's just entirely irrelevant.

Conway, Williamson, Mitchell and Phillips average 50+ vs Pakistan
Young averages 48 vs Pakistan

Henry, Boult and Ferg 25 with the ball vs Pakistan
Santner goes under 5 an over

This isn't a scary match up. They're a fine cricket team and could very well win. But only Australia is genuinely a bogey team for NZ from the remaining matches.
It may be not as lopsided at the moment but NZ often loses to Pak. And the record is 7-2 in ODI WCs for a reason. Look at SL they have now won 5 in a row vs England. Records do matter psychologically. Pakistan is a more emotional team who take confidence from this. You are ignorantly downplaying it as if it hardly matters. There is a reason Pakistan keep losing to India in WCs since 1992. It's psychological. And likewise they win against NZ...

Pak won vs NZ in 2019 World Cup
Pak won in 2021 T20 World Cup
Pak won SF in 2022 T20 World Cup
Lost in 2011 World Cup

ODI WC record 7-2
T20 WC record 4-2

If Pakistan win today vs SA, they will probably beat NZ too. If Pak lose today, then NZ have a great chance.

Athlai

Not Terrible
It may be not as lopsided at the moment but NZ often loses to Pak. And the record is 7-2 in ODI WCs for a reason. Look at SL they have now won 5 in a row vs England. Records do matter psychologically. Pakistan is a more emotional team who take confidence from this. You are ignorantly downplaying it as if it hardly matters. There is a reason Pakistan keep losing to India in WCs since 1992. It's psychological. And likewise they win against NZ...

Pak won vs NZ in 2019 World Cup
Pak won in 2021 T20 World Cup
Pak won SF in 2022 T20 World Cup
Lost in 2011 World Cup

ODI WC record 7-2
T20 WC record 4-2

If Pakistan win today vs SA, they will probably beat NZ too. If Pak lose today, then NZ have a great chance.
T20 irrelevant.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Psychologically speaking Pakistan never make it to the ODI knockouts. Do you think they'll feel that emotionally?

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
And Pakistan have played us like once in a world cup in 20 years. Genuine mouth breathing imbeciles on this site. It isn't ****ing Waqar and Wasim vs Chris Nevin and Craig Spearman
Is this why NZ have lost the last 3 ICC World meetups between the two? because there's no Waqar or Wasim?