• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Points Table/Standings

Molehill

International Captain
Is there any relevance in positioning in regard to washouts? Like in local cricket you generally want to finish higher because you go through in the case of rain. I assume WC finals will have reserve days but what if like a whole week is rained out
I think it depends on the finalists and then the ICC will come up with whatever rule is guaranteed to have Aussies bitching for the next 4 years (and probably beyond).

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Is there any relevance in positioning in regard to washouts? Like in local cricket you generally want to finish higher because you go through in the case of rain. I assume WC finals will have reserve days but what if like a whole week is rained out
Super overs at the indoor nets

Qlder

International Debutant
Found this on Google, so coming 2nd may be better than coming 3rd, but unlikely to matter

What if the reserve day is also washed out?
If the reserve day for a semi-final is washed out, the team with the higher rank during the league stage qualifies for the final.

If the reserve day for the final is washed out, the trophy will be shared by the two finalists.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah there probably is some technical difference between second and third but it won't actually matter.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If people start pretending to care about the battle for second in case it pisses down for two straight days then OS is definitely right.
I'm just being pedantic in finding a reason why finishing 2 or 3 could matter. It happens more often than you think in local cricket, usually not having a reserve day for semi-finals and the end of cricket season often starting to getting wetter. I've actually won 2 cricket premierships where we walked over in a washed out semi (one half-finished game, one completely washed out) thanks to finishing higher on the ladder

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
If people start pretending to care about the battle for second in case it pisses down for two straight days then OS is definitely right.
What’s OS right about?

Edit -nevermind I realise now, and agree. If we wind up with what an exciting fight for 2nd it’ll be like on the last day of the Premier League in English footy and all that’s on the line is who finishes 4th because the title and relegation is settled. Okay finishing 4th actually matters there (gets you into CL) but nobody other than the two teams actually cares despite sky hyping it as the be all end all.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
What’s OS right about?
This:

The semifinalists look set at this stage with almost 20 games left. This world cup is kinda ass tbh, even though some of the upsets have been fun. Going to be up there with 07 as the dullest world cup if the knockouts aren't good.
If the most tournament interest we can muster ourselves to care about is who comes second in case it rains for two days straight then he's right about it being 'kinda ass'.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
This:

If the most tournament interest we can muster ourselves to care about is who comes second in case it rains for two days straight then he's right about it being 'kinda ass'.
Yeah have edited.

I still think we could wind up with a bit of competition for 4th though. Australia haven’t convinced me yet. They’ll probably get it but I wouldn’t say it’s done and dusted at this stage. Especially as there are question marks over South Africa chasing….if Pak can win today…

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah have edited.

I still think we could wind up with a bit of competition for 4th though. Australia haven’t convinced me yet. They’ll probably get it but I wouldn’t say it’s done and dusted at this stage. Especially as there are question marks over South Africa chasing….if Pak can win today…
Yeah but then it fails my what-if scenario and OS isn't right.

Owzat

U19 Captain
Yeah have edited.

at one stage I thought the top three would be clear cut, current top three, and may still be the case, but aussies are only two points behind saffers and kiwis and on three wins in a row

India shoe-inly must be top four, highly improbable for Sri Lanka or someone else on 4 points to catch them.

So what's left? maybe this will help give an idea, given these are the sides in situ and have to be caught so may as well look at how much of their remaining games they may win, how 'easy' they are (on paper at least, only one of the top three has lost to a non-Test side)

IND : v ENG, v SRL, v SAF, v HOL
SAF : v PAK*, v NZL, v IND, v AFG
NZL : v AUS, v SAF, v PAK, v SRL

AUS : v NZL, v ENG, v AFG, v BAN

*in progress
-----------------------------------------------------------

aussies ought to beat the last two sides, not that anything is sure if a top nation wants to do an England, Pakistan or South Africa. Next two may decide their prospects of 4th or maybe more.

kiwis may have less of a smooth ride, pretty much beaten the sides who've done little and will probably do little, lost to India and their remaining games are banana skins.

Saffers if they cruise to a win over Pakistan have only Afghans they'd be confident of beating, well they may be confident regardless but let's rephrase to should be favourites, and some, to win

India it's hard to gauge as they've yet to lose and are at home so unless England, Saffers or even Sri Lanka up their game on the day you could see them ending with 8+ wins.

Might not rule Pakistan out if they can claw this game out of the grasp of saffers, could or maybe should beat England and Bangladesh, kiwis less clear cut or likely, take your pick. Sri Lanka have scalped England and done for Holland but would give them 50-50 at best in any other remaining game.

Afghans have SRL, HOL, AUS and SAF, would be some feat for them to get the 3-4 wins they'd likely need to be top four, certainly looking like 10 points may be the least needed. England I'd say crashed and burned more or less at game one, no bowling strength, batting down to six and that isn't firing much either, won't delve into the detail (again) but unlikely the same basic 14 players + called up reserve will suddenly be able to beat India, and Australia, and Pakistan, Holland quite probably and it will be much like 1996 except no QF to get humiliated in

mackembhoy

International Debutant
I think Pakistan vs NZ since about 2008 has been a very competitive matchup, and it blows my mind when people are referencing a lopsided record from before some of the current players were even born.

It's just entirely irrelevant.
Sports mate it's lies damned lies and statistics.

All the bloody time will the media go x team hasn't done y since z. Not giving you any actual facts aside from that.

Fans lap it up for some reason.

Molehill

International Captain
Starting to look like quite a gulf between the top 4 and everyone else. Whether it be injury issues (Pakistan), woefully bad form (England), or basically just not being good enough (everybody else), I'm starting to wonder if those 4 will actually lose to anyone outside their group.

Qlder

International Debutant
Starting to look like quite a gulf between the top 4 and everyone else. Whether it be injury issues (Pakistan), woefully bad form (England), or basically just not being good enough (everybody else), I'm starting to wonder if those 4 will actually lose to anyone outside their group.
Well SA the #2 team, soon to be #1 team have already lost to the Netherlands 😉

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I remain to be convinced by Australia. And SA could yet lose to Pakistan. Let’s moan about dead games if and when they are dead rather than moaning about them
based on assumptions as to what will happen. Without checking the odds, I reckon there have been 6 games where the bookies’ favourites from the match have lost: NZ V Eng, Eng V Afg, SA V Ned, Afg V Pak, SL V Eng. Out of 25 matches that’s a decent amount. So I don’t know why we’d assume we know exactly what is going to happen. Certainly not enough to get angry about it before it happens ffs

loterry1994

International Debutant
I remain to be convinced by Australia. And SA could yet lose to Pakistan. Let’s moan about dead games if and when they are dead rather than moaning about them
based on assumptions as to what will happen. Without checking the odds, I reckon there have been 6 games where the bookies’ favourites from the match have lost: NZ V Eng, Eng V Afg, SA V Ned, Afg V Pak, SL V Eng. Out of 25 matches that’s a decent amount. So I don’t know why we’d assume we know exactly what is going to happen. Certainly not enough to get angry about it before it happens ffs

it’s pretty much sealed now and if Australia win tommorow we’ll be talking about nearly impossible What if scenarios from here on out. I mean Sri Lanka, Afghanistan etc have shown they can upset here and there but it’s hard to see them consistently do it.