• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fifth Test (The Oval, London) 27-31 July

shortpitched713

International Captain
That's weird. Australia made one of the greatest come from behind 4th innings chases in history, and suddenly Australia are bad chasers?

The bookies are also putting them as underdogs despite having a 12 run lead... 🤔

loterry1994

International Debutant
Also think Mooen not being able to bat properly at 3 and getting moved down the order is a big loss. He held Englands innings together after the first collapse.

91Jmay

International Coach
Also think Mooen not being able to bat properly at 3 and getting moved down the order is a big loss. He held Englands innings together after the first collapse.
Him coming in at 7 and smoking a few with tail could be decent though. I like Pontings idea of Stokes at 3. He is always at his best when he's more watchful early and he could really influence game batting with top order players

CartyDurham

International Captain
Stuart Broad said he had been told by umpire Kumar Dharmasena that if zing bails had been in use for the Ashes Steven Smith would have been given out on the second day at The Oval, but he was comfortable with the borderline decision having gone Smith's way.

What could be a vital moment in the Test - and crucial to whether the series ends 2-2 - occurred in the 78th over when Smith, on 42, took on the arm of substitute George Ealham, the son of former England allrounder Mark, who sprinted in from deep midwicket and produced a rocket-like throw which was collected by Jonny Bairstow.

Initially, it appeared that Smith was short of his ground - and with Ricky Ponting on Sky Sports commentary mentions of Gary Pratt soon followed - but on subsequent replays umpire Nitin Menon ruled that the bail was not completely dislodged from both grooves until Smith, who had pulled out a full-length dive, was in his crease. There was also debate about whether Bairstow had dislodged the stumps fractionally before taking the ball.

"I honestly don't know the rules," Broad said. "I think there was enough grey area to give that not out. It looked like benefit of the doubt sort of stuff, first angle I saw I thought out, and then the side angle it looked like the bails probably dislodged.

"Kumar said to me if it was zing bails it would been given out, I don't really understand the reasoning why."

Under the Laws, the bail has to be completely removed. Law 29.1 states: "The wicket is broken when at least one bail is completely removed from the top of the stumps, or one or more stumps is removed from the ground

Gob

International Coach
Him coming in at 7 and smoking a few with tail could be decent though. I like Pontings idea of Stokes at 3. He is always at his best when he's more watchful early and he could really influence game batting with top order players
Yeah but the newer ball would increase the chances of him nicking off. That would be a waste for me given how devastating he can be if left with the tail

Just move Root to 3 here

91Jmay

International Coach
Yeah but the newer ball would increase the chances of him nicking off. That would be a waste for me given how devastating he can be if left with the tail

Just move Root to 3 here
Yeah the whole team are nick off merchants tbf but yeah good point on tail.

Root should just nut up and do it for an innings Really. Hearing shouts like put Woakes there, ffs maybe instead of that just get our best bat for a century to move up a slot as a needs must.