• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fifth Test (The Oval, London) 27-31 July

91Jmay

International Coach
There is probably too much doubt so not out a fair call, always think bat should get benefit of the doubt (I have no idea why, but I just do)

Spark

Global Moderator
Oh I see what Butcher is talking about now - he's saying that because Bairstow broke the off stump early, it's the leg bail which now determines the decision. Is that how the law works? That's insanely, unbelievably technical if so

Spark

Global Moderator
There is probably too much doubt so not out a fair call, always think bat should get benefit of the doubt (I have no idea why, but I just do)
I think it's because not out is the "base case" so to speak - you have to prove a legitimate dismissal, rather than the other way around.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Butcher is completely wrong here. This has nothing to do with Bairstow breaking the stumps early, it's entirely about when the stumps are actually broken
Yeah what are they on about? The bail needs to be completely removed isn't it? What does Bairstow touching it and causing one side to come up have to do with it?

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
I have to be honest I'm not 100% sure of the rules when that happens. Was the bail dislodged and does that matter if Bairstow hit the other stump?

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah what are they on about? The bail needs to be completely removed isn't it? What does Bairstow touching it and causing one side to come up have to do with it?
I think because the off bail was broken early, it's no longer "live" - only the leg bail counts and it definitely didn't fall until after Smith was already in. But I wasn't aware you could distinguish between the two bails like so?

I don't envy the umpires in this case to be fair. This is one of the most technically complex decisions I've seen.

loterry1994

International Debutant
I think the umpire ruled it as the bails weren’t removed before smith hit the line not what butcher is saying with bairstow taking it off early because the bails were still on the groove. That’s why they kept going frame to frame and the picture of the bail on the other side

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Oh I see what Butcher is talking about now - he's saying that because Bairstow broke the off stump early, it's the leg bail which now determines the decision. Is that how the law works? That's insanely, unbelievably technical if so
The Laws said:
If one bail is off, it shall be sufficient for the purpose of breaking the wicket to remove the remaining bail or to strike or pull any of the three stumps out of the ground, in any of the ways stated in 29.2.
He was assuming that one bail was off so you have to remove the second bail. Although the laws state that the bail has to be completely off to be considered off, which it wasn't, so there is still a gray area there.

KungFu_Kallis

International 12th Man
Jonny disturbed the left hand bail before he had the ball but it wasn't dislodged so it doesn't matter. Just a lousy decision. Probably the worst third umpiring since Nigel Llong's "there's a clear hotspot but it could be anything" ruining the first day night Test.

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
He's good but this is a borderline troll post. Averages ain't everything. I would put him in the top 20-30 to be generous. But there have been so many great players on way worse pitches and against better bowlers.
Mate, I'm English and no fan of Smith as such but he's a fantastic player with a fantastic record.

To say you'd only put him in the top 20 or 30 - well thats ridiculous

91Jmay

International Coach
Yeah he kept saying "2nd spigot is still in groove" so that must be the law. I think it is out if I had to guess but with the doubt of Bairstow knocking it out and then the doubt of whether it was dislodged before he grounded bat you can't give it out. Also the fact it is a sub fielder will sub-consciously play on his mind I reckon, because that decision will be replayed 5000 times forever more if you give it out whereas it might not even be remember by end of Test.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think because the off bail was broken early, it's no longer "live" - only the leg bail counts and it definitely didn't fall until after Smith was already in. But I wasn't aware you could distinguish between the two bails like so?

I don't envy the umpires in this case to be fair. This is one of the most technically complex decisions I've seen.
Right, I see what he meant now. Although for the one bail to be off (i.e. the one Bairstow knocked off), it would need to be completely dislodged I think

29.2.2 The disturbance of a bail, whether temporary or not, shall not constitute its complete removal from the top of the stumps, but if a bail in falling lodges between two of the stumps this shall be regarded as complete removal.