• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Bangladesh in England

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
wpdavid said:
My over-riding thought is that players who aren't in the frame for the test side are hardly ever good enough for ODI's, so, if Vaughan did go, Bell would be the obvious replacement at 3. I certainly wouldn't bring in some middling county player and expect them to do a thing anywhere near the top of the order in the oneday side. I'm just hoping that the performances in SA were simply the sign of a group of players who were worn out after the tests and didn't really want to be there.
The reserve batsmen are least likely to get a match, unless one of the frontliners hits a trough. That makes their fielding very important- Solanki, for instance, will rarely get a game, but that's also the case with the likes of David Fulton and Ed Smith, but Solanki is a lot more effective on the field, so when he's called on as substitute, he can do a lot better. But whom would you choose as reserves? Bell seems an obvious choice, while Solanki may make the side only because he's a good fielder and a better batsman than Rikki Clarke.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Arjun said:
The reserve batsmen are least likely to get a match, unless one of the frontliners hits a trough. That makes their fielding very important- Solanki, for instance, will rarely get a game, but that's also the case with the likes of David Fulton and Ed Smith, but Solanki is a lot more effective on the field, so when he's called on as substitute, he can do a lot better. But whom would you choose as reserves? Bell seems an obvious choice, while Solanki may make the side only because he's a good fielder and a better batsman than Rikki Clarke.
I can't imagine that Clarke's in the frame at all at present. I take your point about fielding ability if they come on as 12th man, but ultimately they have to be viewed as good enough to play from the start if they're in the squad.

Solanki's lucky to still be there, but alternatives? Oh I don't know. Shah still looks a massive under-achiever to me. Newman should be ideally suited, but his oneday record in pretty moderate, IIRC. Marc will know more than me about the whether Warwickshire have any more worth looking at. Ditto Mike & Middlesex.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
superkingdave said:
I've seen quite a few comments in the media saying Clarke might consider himself unlucky to miss out!
I can only assume they've been speaking to his mum.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
wpdavid said:
I can't imagine that Clarke's in the frame at all at present. I take your point about fielding ability if they come on as 12th man, but ultimately they have to be viewed as good enough to play from the start if they're in the squad.

Solanki's lucky to still be there, but alternatives? Oh I don't know. Shah still looks a massive under-achiever to me. Newman should be ideally suited, but his oneday record in pretty moderate, IIRC. Marc will know more than me about the whether Warwickshire have any more worth looking at. Ditto Mike & Middlesex.
No doubt all the players in the side sould be good enough, but since two batsmen may not get a game at all, they have to be good fielders. The reason I mentioned Clarke is that he's a very good fielder, but he can't make the starting lineup or even the bench. Solanki is not too bad with the bat, though still very inconsistent, but his fielding is also very good. On the other hand, any typical county stalwart can make the squad, but not the starting lineup, and if he's no good on the field, he's just dry weight. Shah has a good FC record, but I don't remember his OD stats- what happened to him?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
wpdavid said:
Aside from Bell, not really anyone to be honest.

Still, with him not there, he has a chacne to score some big runs in the next month and hit the Ashes in superb form.

Chubb

International Regular
It will be interesting to see if Bangladesh can beat Derbyshire under lights tonight- can they defeat the weakest county, who will probably field a reduced squad???

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Ted Corbett was in the company of some officials/journos who said that Bangladesh can't even beat a Minor Counties side. Frankly, I agree with his views expressed in his latest column- the presence of teams like Bangladesh often lures teams into a sense of false security, so they can't identify their own weaknesses and win despite being well below-par. If the English continue such a performance in the Ashes, it's obvious that they'll be rolled over, but do they know of it? Little wonder then that any major mediaperson/expert wants these teams demoted.

Chubb

International Regular
Bangladesh are two down already, Bashar ran out Iqbal without him facing a ball, then he's just edged Mo Sheikh to Sutton.

Chubb

International Regular
No, everyone thought Omar was Bashar, he was wearing the number 7 jersey, which was down as Bashar's number. The commentators, scorecards and everything were telling me it was him, and then when Rajin was out this other guy wearing 7 came out to bat- no one knew who he was, they thought it could be Omar but turns out it was Habibul! A big mix-up!

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Chubb said:
No, everyone thought Omar was Bashar, he was wearing the number 7 jersey, which was down as Bashar's number. The commentators, scorecards and everything were telling me it was him, and then when Rajin was out this other guy wearing 7 came out to bat- no one knew who he was, they thought it could be Omar but turns out it was Habibul! A big mix-up!
Haha! Professional effort! :D

Bashar's moved to 18 not out off 22 balls. Looks like he's onto something.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I can't believe how bad all the batting averages are if you click on 'Live Career Stats' in the Bangladeshis v Derbyshire game.

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Scaly piscine said:
I can't believe how bad all the batting averages are if you click on 'Live Career Stats' in the Bangladeshis v Derbyshire game.
The vast majority of the Bangladeshis' List A games are all ODIs, though so they're not quite as bad as they first look. Still dismal, mind.

shaka

International Regular
Bangladesh bowl out Worcestershire for 168 in the 45th over, excellent work by the Bangladeshi players. Now lets see if they can chase the score down.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
shaka said:
Bangladesh bowl out Worcestershire for 168 in the 45th over, excellent work by the Bangladeshi players. Now lets see if they can chase the score down.
at 3 down for 25, doesn't really look like it