• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Bangladesh in England

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
1 win against an underpar Australia doesn't suddenly make up for Years of crap-ness.
If a crap team plays enough games they're always going to win a few just by sheer odds.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Really dont see the point of this thread remaining stickied. Instead maybe the Windies in Sri Lanka thread being topped would be more relevant.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Pratyush said:
Really dont see the point of this thread remaining stickied. Instead maybe the Windies in Sri Lanka thread being topped would be more relevant.
Windies aren't due to be in SL in a month, Bangladesh are still in England...

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Samuel_Vimes said:
Windies aren't due to be in SL in a month, Bangladesh are still in England...
mm Bangladesh in England arent mostif not all matches covered in the natwest challenge?

Also, Windies A in Sri Lanka has already started and with matches starting from tour matches to come soon, it is pretty relevant.

Also feel the ICC trophy thread should be stickied and dont see the point in just stickying international tours just when international matches are played. A tours etc are pretty interesting as well.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
SpaceMonkey said:
If a crap team plays enough games they're always going to win a few just by sheer odds.
Not true - if my school team that I play for played Australia a billion times, Australia would win every single one. Some teams are just incapable of beating others, the gap is too far. For Bangladesh to prove that the gap is not too far is a truly momentous result for them.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Pratyush said:
Also, Windies A in Sri Lanka has already started and with matches starting from tour matches to come soon, it is pretty relevant.
That's not a full tour though.

Pratyush said:
Also feel the ICC trophy thread should be stickied and dont see the point in just stickying international tours just when international matches are played. A tours etc are pretty interesting as well.
If they're so interesting how come they get hardly any posts?

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Barney Rubble said:
Not true - if my school team that I play for played Australia a billion times, Australia would win every single one. Some teams are just incapable of beating others, the gap is too far. For Bangladesh to prove that the gap is not too far is a truly momentous result for them.
We always knew they could beat them, the same as when Bangladesh beat Pakistan in the world cup, or if you believe that game was thrown, how Kenya managed to beat a few teams in the world cup. Play enough games and they'll be days when the good team is playing poor and the poor team plays well. Most the time that still wont be enough but occasionally it is.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
marc71178 said:
That's not a full tour though.
Please explain.

If they're so interesting how come they get hardly any posts?
Why would you measure interesting by the number of posts Marc? A Bangladesh vs England game is more interesting than an ICC trophy or stuff like that where world cup places are up for grabs?

badgerhair

U19 Vice-Captain
SpaceMonkey said:
We always knew they could beat them, the same as when Bangladesh beat Pakistan in the world cup, or if you believe that game was thrown, how Kenya managed to beat a few teams in the world cup. Play enough games and they'll be days when the good team is playing poor and the poor team plays well. Most the time that still wont be enough but occasionally it is.
Even so, Ashtrayfull's subsequent performances and some of the things some of the others did showed that it wasn't *quite* a flash in the pan.

I don't expect Bangladesh's results to improve much in the near future. But that's going to be at least in part because no-one is going to take them lightly any more, or not very lightly anyway. Beating a full-strength Australia who were obviously trying to win is no mean achievement for any side, let alone the Bangles. You can discount aspects of it by saying that Australia were only just off the plane and were rusty and stuff like that, but the Bangles won fair and square. And so, from now on, nobody is going to take any more of a liberty than to rest a senior bowler who has a more testing engagement due in a few days' time. The days of an emerging players XI being billed as a full international side when playing the Bangles are over. Now it's for real.

With their performances in this tour Bangladesh have elevated themselves from non-League club to League club status, They're obviously not going to do well against teams from the Premiership very often, but at least one can see that they deserve to be taken seriously at some level.

Cheers,

Mike

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Pratyush said:
Please explain.
The whole West Indies 'A' thing.

Pratyush said:
Why would you measure interesting by the number of posts Marc? A Bangladesh vs England game is more interesting than an ICC trophy or stuff like that where world cup places are up for grabs?
So how else do you propose working out what interests members then if it's not on number of posts?

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
marc71178 said:
The whole West Indies 'A' thing.
Ah. The Windies A follows with the Windies tour of Sri Lanka. The whole thing is being discusses rather well already in the Windies in Sri Lanka thread and thats the thread I am speaking about being stickied. You may argue that both are not really one tour but when you look at the thread, and the fact that two Windies A players willg et selected into the Windies team to play Sri Lanka, its not illogical to sticky the thread.

So how else do you propose working out what interests members then if it's not on number of posts?
And you cleverly try to switch from interesting games to interest of members :p

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
No, they're 2 separate tours. 2 players joining them is nothing.

I've never done any switching - the interesting threads are going to be the ones that people post in.

PY

International Coach
Pratyush said:
And you cleverly try to switch from interesting games to interest of members :p
How are they different? Once something interesting on the tour then I'll begin to post about it but until then I probably won't because I don't know enough to sustain debate in that kind of thread whereas in the England threads I can post because I know a little more and also crucially, the games are happening between the two concerned teams so comments are more relevant.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
marc71178 said:
No, they're 2 separate tours. 2 players joining them is nothing.
I know they are two seprate tours. Ofcourse having two separate threads for Bangladesh at the moment stickied with Bangladesh only playing the Natwest Series is more relevant than having a Windies in Sri Lanka thread stickied and you find logic in that.

I've never done any switching - the interesting threads are going to be the ones that people post in.
We were talking of interesting tours and you went towards talking about tours which interest members.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Pratyush said:
I know they are two seprate tours. Ofcourse having two separate threads for Bangladesh at the moment stickied with Bangladesh only playing the Natwest Series is more relevant than having a Windies in Sri Lanka thread stickied and you find logic in that.
Yes, because Bangladesh are in England, the West Indies aren't in Sri Lanka.

Pratyush said:
We were talking of interesting tours and you went towards talking about tours which interest members.
I was always talking about if a tour is interesting it would have people posting about it.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
marc71178 said:
Yes, because Bangladesh are in England, the West Indies aren't in Sri Lanka.
Bangladesh are in England bt all their forthcoming matches are covered in the natwest series thread :wacko:

Regarding Windies I know that official threads are usually started when the team starts playing internationals there but was pointing my opinion against it :p