• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Bangladesh in England

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Link worked for me. The catch looked clean when I saw it initially (though this may have something to do with the frame rate of the video), but the replay looked extremely dodgy. Considering where the ball ended up (i.e. in Jones' palms), it is almost inconceivable that he could have thought it was a clean catch. It is possible (though highly unlikely) that it bounced in the webbing. There is a shot of Jones looking at the ground after the replay went up on the big screen - I think he had a fair idea that he shouldn't have claimed it.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Just had a look at the video... certainly looks very suspect.
I can't see how Jones wouldn't have known it bounced... it didn't get stuck in the webbing and he didnt hold onto it with the tips of his fingers or anything, it bounced into his palms off the ground. Anyone would know the difference between a ball coming straight into the hands and bouncing up from the ground. For one thing, it's a totally different direction the ball is coming from. Unfortunate for Bangladesh...I'm sure if this were an Ashes match or something similar we'd be hearing a LOT more about it.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
There's no way that video was conclusive, Jones could easily have gotten his fingers underneath the ball and as has been shown before on a 2 dimensional video it would still look like it's bounced.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Scaly piscine said:
There's no way that video was conclusive, Jones could easily have gotten his fingers underneath the ball and as has been shown before on a 2 dimensional video it would still look like it's bounced.
Webbing maybe, but it certainly didn't hit his fingers. In any case, if it hit his fingers it wouldn't have bounced as much as it did.

biased indian

International Coach
marc71178 said:
If taht is so then how come the commentators on the radio had confilcting views of the incident, some thought it carried.
The commentators on TV at that time was Botham and Gower and i watched it live. This is what botham said after the incident was shown again.

he first said that
it didnt carry and it was there for every one to see

he went on to say that
i had for most of my life fielded in slip and as a slip fielder u will be able to know that wether a bowl bounced or not before reaching u r hand because of the way it comes into u r hand and in this case i think he would have also felt the same way and should not have appealed

Note: its not the exact words but botham was sure that jones would have known it and gower also agreed with him

tooextracool

International Coach
biased indian said:
jones could have said to the umpire that he has some doubt about it
and its quite possible that he thought he had taken it cleanly,especially when the umpire gave the batsman out.

tooextracool

International Coach
crickmate said:
you ask about the intention? England skipper Vaugan's comment that clearly shows the 'intent':

"We set ourselves the goal yesterday (Saturday) of winning in two days - and if you set yourself goals you like to achieve them," Vaughan said. "I think we went searching for wickets rather than sticking to our disciplines and building pressure that way."

Well, they tried their best to finish the game in two days, which could have given them something to pride, because earlier Australia was unable to do that against Bangladesh. It would have been a boost for them before ashes.
and you think that jones would stoop to 'cheating' just to beat bangladesh in 2 days?

tooextracool

International Coach
biased indian said:
The commentators on TV at that time was Botham and Gower and i watched it live. This is what botham said after the incident was shown again.

he first said that
it didnt carry and it was there for every one to see

he went on to say that
i had for most of my life fielded in slip and as a slip fielder u will be able to know that wether a bowl bounced or not before reaching u r hand because of the way it comes into u r hand and in this case i think he would have also felt the same way and should not have appealed

Note: its not the exact words but botham was sure that jones would have known it and gower also agreed with him
most of that is the truth except the part where you state " gower agreed with him".
gower infact disagreed with him and went on to say that its very hard to know whether its gone into your hands directly or on the bounce and that its happened before. the only thing he did agree with botham on was that the ball didnt carry through to jones.

King_Ponting

International Regular
Well looking at that u can clearly tell that it bounced
It feels different coming into your hands if it has bounced as oppsed to it coming straight into your hands from the air

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
biased indian said:
Yes, I could hear what they said, but I was talking about the radio, who were still discussing it 3 hours after the incident and disagreeing about it.

biased indian

International Coach
marc71178 said:
Yes, I could hear what they said, but I was talking about the radio, who were still discussing it 3 hours after the incident and disagreeing about it.
may be because that they didnt show it on TV :) :)

tooextracool

International Coach
King_Ponting said:
Well looking at that u can clearly tell that it bounced
It feels different coming into your hands if it has bounced as oppsed to it coming straight into your hands from the air
and yet we've seen so many times in the past fielders being unsure whether they have taken the catch or not?

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Look its clear from the tv replay that it LOOKS like it bounced - but as we have seen at various times in the past - I believe both Sky and Channel 4 have done this, the angle that camera's are at and the distance away from the pitch mean that they are deceptive in their portrayal of balls close to the ground. As someone has pointed out ths is why the ICC don't allow referrals to the third umpire because in this case the camera CAN lie. Now since we don't actually know that the catch did not carry, how can we possibly assume guilt on Jones part?

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
superkingdave said:
Look its clear from the tv replay that it LOOKS like it bounced - but as we have seen at various times in the past - I believe both Sky and Channel 4 have done this, the angle that camera's are at and the distance away from the pitch mean that they are deceptive in their portrayal of balls close to the ground. As someone has pointed out ths is why the ICC don't allow referrals to the third umpire because in this case the camera CAN lie. Now since we don't actually know that the catch did not carry, how can we possibly assume guilt on Jones part?
exactly i dont know why everyone is calling him a cheat :dry: (not specifically here on cricket web) but in my neighbourhood