• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia in Zimbabwe Thread

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
tooextracool said:
dont be ridiculous...taylor isnt the most talented player in the world but hes the best out of the bunch of sub standard club cricketers. strauss and vaughan cant be compared to matsikenyeri and vermeulen, you must be out of your mind!
I'm just trying to understand what passes for 'logic' in your twisted, inconsistent world.

No, there is no comparison to the actual players, but you speak in such generalised terms that frankly I hardly understand a blooming word you say - this probably explains why you get into so many conflagrations.

You talk about protecting your best player by moving him away from the opening spot, then in another thread you talk about dropping Trescothick down the order (which I agree with) - i.e. away from the opening slot. Then you say that a number 4 has to be a better player than an opener (this thread) yet your best player has to play at 3. How do you actually decide - and what if they prefer opening?

I don't think I'm out of my mind - but I'll tell you what, carrying out correspondence with someone such as yourself is enough to drive anyone potty so maybe you're right. Oh - and those 'sub-standard club cricketers' managed over 200 against Australia today. You really have a way with words, don't you?

Incidentally, run that past me again about how little trouble Chris Cairns was in on Sunday before Giles got him - just because he scored a couple of fours.

2 fours in 14 from 20 balls....didnt look in too much trouble at all. mistimed shot of giles was the only mistake that he made and that was just about as likely with the new ball
That's the one.

I think you'll find that they were a couple of magnificent strokes - one through the slips, the other over the top of the leg stump off the inside edge IIRC. You didn't watch it, did you? Because no-one who did would have made such a stupid statement. Well, well. What a giveaway.

Loony BoB

International Captain
I think TEC should be employed by a cricket board, they can use him to confuse the opposition, adding to the employing team's arsenal for psychological warfare. ;)

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Loony BoB said:
I think TEC should be employed by a cricket board, they can use him to confuse the opposition, adding to the employing team's arsenal for psychological warfare. ;)
He had me going for a while - he'd been quite reasonable (for him) for a few days, but for Trescothick to make 86 AND to captain England to victory using 'unconventional' methods - well, it was just too much for the poor dear to take in without his brain melting.

Ford_GTHO351

U19 Vice-Captain
Zimbabwe v Australia 1st ODI

Zimbabwe
9/205 (50 overs)
Taylor 59 (101)
Taibu 57 (76)
Vermeulen 20 (15)

Gillespie 2/21 (10)
Kasprowicz 2/26 (10)
McGrath 1/35 (10)

Australia
3/207 (39.4 overs)
Ponting 91 (93)
Martyn 74* (96)
Gilchrist 26 (29)

Panyangara 2/48 (9.4)
Hondo 1/40 (7)
Mupariwa 0/47 (10)

Australia won by 7 wickets

In the end Australia cruised to victory with just over 10 overs to spare.

It wasn't the thrashing everyone expected, though remember that Sri Lanka's didn't thrash Zimbabwe in their 1st ODI.

Though the second match should be interesting, especially if Australia bats first.

tooextracool

International Coach
luckyeddie said:
I'm just trying to understand what passes for 'logic' in your twisted, inconsistent world.

No, there is no comparison to the actual players, but you speak in such generalised terms that frankly I hardly understand a blooming word you say - this probably explains why you get into so many conflagrations.

You talk about protecting your best player by moving him away from the opening spot, then in another thread you talk about dropping Trescothick down the order (which I agree with) - i.e. away from the opening slot. Then you say that a number 4 has to be a better player than an opener (this thread) yet your best player has to play at 3. How do you actually decide - and what if they prefer opening?.
righto let me explain my methods as explicitily as possible so that even you can understand them(put your glasses on this time LE).
the reason why vaughan should bat at 3 is because he is our most talented players,our best strokemaker. these sort of players generally bat at 3 or 4, look at teams from around the world,ponting bats at 3 for aus,dravid bats at 3 for india(and tendulkar bats at 4), kallis at 4 for SA,lara at 4 for WI, hell even bradman batted at 3 for aus. the reason is not because they didnt have the technique against the new ball but because they are strokemakers and like to play their shots and therefore are most vulnerable against the new ball. as an opener you have to know what to leave and what to play and vaughan and co will back themselves to play positive shots against good deliveries. hence you protect these players from the new ball so that you can get the best out of them at 3 or 4.
in brendan taylor's case though his technique makes him very susceptible to the new ball and must therefore be shielded not just at 1 down but 2 down.why not at 6 like tresco you ask?because he isnt as aggressive as tresco. you only have to look at his SR in most of his innings to realise that he is too defensive and therefore a complete waste at 6 as he would more often than not have to bat with the tail.
now trescothick should bat at 6 not only because of his technical deficiency against the seaming ball but also because he is by nature an aggressive player. looking at his performances in the ODIs of late tells me that he is better off playing aggressively and coming down the order allows him to take advantage of tired bowling attacks aka gilchrist.

luckyeddie said:
I don't think I'm out of my mind - but I'll tell you what, carrying out correspondence with someone such as yourself is enough to drive anyone potty so maybe you're right. Oh - and those 'sub-standard club cricketers' managed over 200 against Australia today. You really have a way with words, don't you?
interestingly enough the only 2 world class players in the side scored more than half the runs

luckyeddie said:
Incidentally, run that past me again about how little trouble Chris Cairns was in on Sunday before Giles got him - just because he scored a couple of fours.

That's the one.

I think you'll find that they were a couple of magnificent strokes - one through the slips, the other over the top of the leg stump off the inside edge IIRC. You didn't watch it, did you? Because no-one who did would have made such a stupid statement. Well, well. What a giveaway.
now just looking at your post(s) it seems to me that you hate being disagreed with or being proven wrong as well(as do a lot of other ppl). you come up with the stupidest idea of the year comparing strauss and vaughan to matsikenyeri and vermeulen without even realising that with the rebels gone zimbabwian cricket isnt gushing with talent and that someone like a trescothick errr taylor would be a star player for them. and to try and defend your foolish claims you bring up one such comment of mine from another thread that had absolutely no relevance in this thread whatsoever. half your posts seem to be either irrelevant or filled with insipid, sometimes insulting humour that has been ignored on many occasions. you seem to act like a 12 yr old instead of a 52 year old.get a hold of yourself!

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
tooextracool said:
righto let me explain my methods as explicitily as possible so that even you can understand them(put your glasses on this time LE).
the reason why vaughan should bat at 3 is because he is our most talented players,our best strokemaker. these sort of players generally bat at 3 or 4, look at teams from around the world,ponting bats at 3 for aus,dravid bats at 3 for india(and tendulkar bats at 4), kallis at 4 for SA,lara at 4 for WI, hell even bradman batted at 3 for aus. the reason is not because they didnt have the technique against the new ball but because they are strokemakers and like to play their shots and therefore are most vulnerable against the new ball. as an opener you have to know what to leave and what to play and vaughan and co will back themselves to play positive shots against good deliveries. hence you protect these players from the new ball so that you can get the best out of them at 3 or 4.
in brendan taylor's case though his technique makes him very susceptible to the new ball and must therefore be shielded not just at 1 down but 2 down.why not at 6 like tresco you ask?because he isnt as aggressive as tresco. you only have to look at his SR in most of his innings to realise that he is too defensive and therefore a complete waste at 6 as he would more often than not have to bat with the tail.
now trescothick should bat at 6 not only because of his technical deficiency against the seaming ball but also because he is by nature an aggressive player. looking at his performances in the ODIs of late tells me that he is better off playing aggressively and coming down the order allows him to take advantage of tired bowling attacks aka gilchrist.

interestingly enough the only 2 world class players in the side scored more than half the runs

now just looking at your post(s) it seems to me that you hate being disagreed with or being proven wrong as well(as do a lot of other ppl). you come up with the stupidest idea of the year comparing strauss and vaughan to matsikenyeri and vermeulen without even realising that with the rebels gone zimbabwian cricket isnt gushing with talent and that someone like a trescothick errr taylor would be a star player for them. and to try and defend your foolish claims you bring up one such comment of mine from another thread that had absolutely no relevance in this thread whatsoever. half your posts seem to be either irrelevant or filled with insipid, sometimes insulting humour that has been ignored on many occasions. you seem to act like a 12 yr old instead of a 52 year old.get a hold of yourself!
Have you quite finished with your latest attempt at entertainment?

1. The point which some seemed to be bringing up but which you kept ignoring was that, sometimes, a player PREFERS to open, and if that's fine by the coach and the player concerned, it's fine by everyone who counts - except you, that is. I also used the 'T' word - and that's a no-no with you.

2. I don't mind being disagreed with - I love it, but I'm not particularly fond of rudeness. I also did not compare the England openers with the Zimbabwe ones per se (you know, as in "he's better than him, they are a good combination, they are not"), I was pointing out the futility of making inane generalisations - your strongest point on occasions. Just because you say otherwise doesn't make it so - see point 1. Same goes for me, though.

3. Many people here enjoy and appreciate my style of humour (I know of some who joined CricketWeb because of the DD column) - it seems that you do not, but you're not alone. I can't help it if some of you are thick ( :p ). I'm sorry about that (really, I am. I like being popular, entertaining, sometimes informative). I'm also quite surprised that you think my posts irrelevant - someone actually pointed out to you yesterday that they seldom are - and this one isn't either.

4. Why are you so touchy about the Chris Cairns jibe? Someone else mentioned the other week that they thought that you watched your English cricket by teletext or Cricinfo ball-by-ball (oh no, that was me too) - it's not your fault if you do, but just don't make comments about how well someone was playing if you don't know for sure. It just looks as though you're pretending. Now about that blacker cat...

5. I'm 51, you bucking fastard. (goes away to check birth certificate, can't find glasses, asks wife) - yes, definitely 51.

Last edited:

tooextracool

International Coach
luckyeddie said:
1. The point which some seemed to be bringing up but which you kept ignoring was that, sometimes, a player PREFERS to open, and if that's fine by the coach and the player concerned, it's fine by everyone who counts - except you, that is. I also used the 'T' word - and that's a no-no with you..
in taylors case the coach should tell him that his technique isnt suited to be able to open the batting,otherwise it just refutes the point of his being a coach in the first place. if taylor still prefers to open the batting and wants to throw away his career then its all in his hands.
in trescothicks case you'd have to be stupid as a player not to realise that you are not suited to opening the batting, perhaps a bunch of low scores on non flat pitches and continually edging the ball to the slippers gives you an indication that you should push yourself down the order?

luckyeddie said:
2. I don't mind being disagreed with - I love it, but I'm not particularly fond of rudeness. I also did not compare the England openers with the Zimbabwe ones per se (you know, as in "he's better than him, they are a good combination, they are not"), I was pointing out the futility of making inane generalisations - your strongest point on occasions. Just because you say otherwise doesn't make it so - see point 1. Same goes for me, though.
im not making any generalisations whatsoever. the comparison between trescothick vs rikki clarke and rob key would be more suited instead of the ridiculous comparison of strauss and vaughan vs tresco because in this case the rest of the zim players dont have half the talent as taylor does.
trescothick has a visible weakness,one that everybody including him knows off so i suggested he bats down at 6 where instead of poking at balls outside the off stump he could actually look to smash them. in taylors case his technique is not suited to opening the batting but no one knows of any particular weakness in his technique ATM do they?

luckyeddie said:
I can't help it if some of you are thick ( :p ).
this coming from a 51 yr old who thinks hes a duck. :p

luckyeddie said:
4. Why are you so touchy about the Chris Cairns jibe? Someone else mentioned the other week that they thought that you watched your English cricket by teletext or Cricinfo ball-by-ball (oh no, that was me too) - it's not your fault if you do, but just don't make comments about how well someone was playing if you don't know for sure. It just looks as though you're pretending. Now about that blacker cat...
right so i missed the entire cairns innings but i did catch most of the match.....whatever it was i personally believe that our fast bowlers were good enough to take 5 wickets on that pitch with the new ball without conceeding more than 100 runs. but we will never know shall we?

Last edited:

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
tooextracool said:
in taylors ...(the words snipped, but all the substance left in place)....... know shall we?
(Last threadjack from me, folks, then normal service will be resumed)

Here you go, TEC - a present from me to you - and I'm sure you'll find it's what you always wanted..

'Zyrian' - and it's yours to use whenever you want.

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ford_GTHO351 said:
:wacko:

LE & TEC, you both need to take a deep breath & just chill out here ;)

Besides we are slightly going off topic here.
Pfft... off-topicality (just made that up) is what makes CW what it is!

Besides, there's not that much to talk about with the Zimbabwean lambs to the slaughter, is there?

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Ford_GTHO351 said:
:wacko:

LE & TEC, you both need to take a deep breath & just chill out here ;)

Besides we are slightly going off topic here.
Come on. Are you telling me you're not enjoying the ride? It's not got to abuse or blows (a couple of minor insults but that's all..... 52? I'll kill him!!!!)

Oh, all right then. I am getting up a few too many noses for comfort at the moment. So, Ford, back on topic. I'm absolutely riveted by the fantastic performance by the Aussies this zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Ford_GTHO351

U19 Vice-Captain
luckyeddie said:
Come on. Are you telling me you're not enjoying the ride? It's not got to abuse or blows (a couple of minor insults but that's all..... 52? I'll kill him!!!!)
....its was just my two cents on whats going on here :D