• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia in Zimbabwe Thread

Craig

World Traveller
Well I dont suppose he would be too happy.

Then again Gilchrist nearly joined him with a pretty good ball by Hondo.

Loony BoB

International Captain
Oh, crap, I just remembered I have Hayden in my Fantasy Cricket XI. Panyangara, you bastard! Leave my team alone!

Last edited:

Craig

World Traveller
Nope I spelt it right first time around.

Ponting certainly loves to hook and it is uncommon for his shots to go for six, but today he has hit one six and knocked the security guard off his chair!

PY

International Coach
Gilly gone.

This is a strange one, I'm tempted to say that Australia might not be taking this seriously and are therefore being unprofessional and doing exactly what Ponting said he didn't want to happen (degrading ODI cricket).

But then again, Australia might be trying their best and then I would be belittling what the Zimbabwe guys are doing because they are trying their best.

Mr Gilchrist walked again. I must say that it saves a lot of time for everyone if batsmen can make a decision like that.

Its definitely Panyangara, Cricinfo aren't the only ones to spell it as such.

Loony BoB

International Captain
Augh! Gilchrist was in my XI too! This is taking trans-Tasman rivalry to a whole new level. If Ponting gets out next, I will have to assume that they have hacked into my CW Fantasy Cricket account, checked which Aussies I have listed and told them to underperform. That would also give good reason for McGrath only picking up one wicket.

And you wonder why New Zealanders don't like Australians. This is disgraceful. *serious face*

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
PY said:
Gilly gone.

This is a strange one, I'm tempted to say that Australia might not be taking this seriously and are therefore being unprofessional and doing exactly what Ponting said he didn't want to happen (degrading ODI cricket).
Not really... it was a very good catch and the bowler and captain had obviously worked out a plan, as the fielder was in a short-midwicket position perfectly placed for a mistimed pull. Hayden's dismissal was simply him misjudging the bounce, and perhaps being a bit tentative going through with the shot.

tooextracool

International Coach
marc71178 said:
Why?

He's an opener throughout his career, so why change him?
i recommend that you watch him bat....if you did you would realise that his technique is not upto the mark for a test match opener.
i dont think opening the batting in zimbabwian domestic cricket counts for anything....

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
tooextracool said:
i recommend that you watch him bat....if you did you would realise that his technique is not upto the mark for a test match opener.
i dont think opening the batting in zimbabwian domestic cricket counts for anything....
Coming from someone like Geoff Marsh (you know, Zimbabwe's coach at the moment) that might well be a valid opinion.

Is that you, Geoff?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
tooextracool said:
And of course with the rebels gone there's so many alternatives just jumping to be picked isn't there?

tooextracool

International Coach
marc71178 said:
And of course with the rebels gone there's so many alternatives just jumping to be picked isn't there?
but who said he should be dropped?? the fact is they just need another opener instead....and instead of 'sacrificing' their most talented batsman at the top they could put someone else. mark vermeulen is capable of opening the batting isnt he?

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
tooextracool said:
but who said he should be dropped?? the fact is they just need another opener instead....and instead of 'sacrificing' their most talented batsman at the top they could put someone else. mark vermeulen is capable of opening the batting isnt he?
Hang about, Mr Consistency.

You've droned on and on today about Trescothick being moved down the order, yet you want Vaughan and Strauss to open for England, ergo you rate Trescothick higher than those two.

I wish you'd make your blooming mind up, Alexandre.

tooextracool

International Coach
marc71178 said:
Last time I checked, a team had 2 openers...
1) taylor isnt good enough to be a test match opener....but is good enough to bat at 4
2)SA had kirsten,gibbs and smith in their side in NZ
3)vermeulen is capable of opening the batting
4)you can always sacrifice some other useless player and send your best player down the order

tooextracool

International Coach
luckyeddie said:
You've droned on and on today about Trescothick being moved down the order, yet you want Vaughan and Strauss to open for England, ergo you rate Trescothick higher than those two.
dont be ridiculous...taylor isnt the most talented player in the world but hes the best out of the bunch of sub standard club cricketers. strauss and vaughan cant be compared to matsikenyeri and vermeulen, you must be out of your mind!its almost like comparing trescothick to robert key and rikki clarke