• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in England (The Ashes)

tooextracool

International Coach
Slow Love™ said:
I suppose that he could have been concerned about his bowlers' fatigue, but I would have thought Kasper's pfeiffer might have given him another look, too.
given that kaspa outbowled gillespie, we can expect the aussie selectors to go for gillespie for the next test?

Steulen

International Regular
Shane Warne said:
I assume he is only going to be 12th man instead of Tremlett?

Afterall, Graveney just said the team would be unchanged.
Two options:

1) They've taken a look at the pitch and decided there's nothing to be won by playing Giles

2) The old cheating concept of having a brilliant fielder as your 12th man and then making sure there's always one of your playing eleven in the pavillion with a bogus near-injury.

kendall

U19 Vice-Captain
It does seem a little strange that only a day after the sqaud was anounced he has been brought in why wasnt he the original squad. I was thinking maybe there was an injury they hadnt told us about or it is an admition that they were wrong

PY

International Coach
Makes you wonder why they hadn't looked at the pitch before they announced the squad.

*slaps forehead*

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
kendall said:
It does seem a little strange that only a day after the sqaud was anounced he has been brought in why wasnt he the original squad. I was thinking maybe there was an injury they hadnt told us about or it is an admition that they were wrong
Heavy rain in Birmingham in recent days prompted the change after coach Duncan Fletcher and captain Michael Vaughan inspected the Edgbaston pitch.

Sounds like a possible green-top (what were Colly's figures at Headers'?) so Giles could miss out, bringing Colly in as the extra bat/seam option. If the wicket dries out, we need some sun clearly, then Gilo will play and Colly will miss out I suppose. Nothing sinister in the selection IMO.

PY

International Coach
BoyBrumby said:
I can't help but wonder if Big Dunc or Vaughany has had a butcher's at today's Guardian as well as the pitch...... :whistling
You surely can't mean Gilo = :blowup: ? :p

Nah, they always say they never read the papers anyway. :D

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
superkingdave said:
Collingwood called up for the test after all that palaver
i always felt they would add him, but even though Kasper took 5 today i still maintain Dizzy should play.....

Steulen

International Regular
aussie said:
i always felt they would add him, but even though Kasper took 5 today i still maintain Dizzy should play.....
Why? Dizzy took 2 wickets with the new ball, Kasper 5 with the old. Australia needs a first change seamer and someone to apply the pressure while Warne works his magic. Kasper is better in that role.

Gillespie is the better bowler overall, but not in the specific role available right now.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Meanwhile former England fast bowler Andrew Caddick has not ruled out a return in the Ashes.

``The 36-year-old Somerset paceman took 10 wickets in his last England game, against Australia in 2003.

Injuries have plagued him since then but Caddick reckons he is now back to his best and believes England will benefit by using an experienced campaigner.

He said: "In the last three years I do feel as though this is the best year I've had so far.

"My body is feeling great and the bowling is going well and I feel like the Caddy of old.

"It's all there: the pace is still there, the bounce is still there and the shape is still there.

"So, for the future you never know.

"If called upon I will be happy to play, I haven't called my career to an end and hopefully I won't."

i must admire Caddicks determination here, but its highly unlikely that he'll get a call up for this series but ya never know........

Barney Rubble

International Coach
aussie said:
Meanwhile former England fast bowler Andrew Caddick has not ruled out a return in the Ashes.

``The 36-year-old Somerset paceman took 10 wickets in his last England game, against Australia in 2003.

Injuries have plagued him since then but Caddick reckons he is now back to his best and believes England will benefit by using an experienced campaigner.

He said: "In the last three years I do feel as though this is the best year I've had so far.

"My body is feeling great and the bowling is going well and I feel like the Caddy of old.

"It's all there: the pace is still there, the bounce is still there and the shape is still there.

"If called upon I will be happy to play, I haven't called my career to an end and hopefully I won't."

i must admire Caddicks determination here, but its highly unlikely that he'll get a call up for this series but ya never know........
Now that would be a fairytale ending. England suffer their traditional Ashes injury blitz, with only Flintoff, Giles and Simon Jones left of their original bowlers - Tremlett is called up for the 4th Test, and does very well in the absence of Harmison, but between Tests 4 and 5, with the series poised at 2-2, Matthew Hoggard pulls up with a back strain in practice. England don't want to throw in the untried Liam Plunkett, Jon Lewis or Mark Davies in a deciding Test against the Aussies, so they call up the experienced Caddick for one last hurrah, knowing he'll give his all and not be overawed by the occasion.

England fight gallantly despite their injuries, making 370 in their first innings, but the Aussies make a daunting 420 in reply. However, everything goes wrong and England are skittled for 110 in their second innings, with the Aussies set 160 to win in two and a half sessions due to a bit of rain. The Aussies make it to 80-2 and look set to win easily - but Freddie and Tremlett share 3 wickets before tea to restrict them to 120-5, with Gilchrist at the crease and only 40 needed to win.

After tea, Vaughan throws the ball to Caddick, who hasn't taken a wicket in the match yet, entrusting him with the task of dismissing Gilchrist in tandem with Flintoff. Not only does Caddick dismiss Gilly, but he rips out the Aussie tail in a spell of 5-14 in 8 overs, winning the game by 16 runs and the Ashes for England.

*wakes from dreamland to discover Caddick is now very old and pretty rubbish, and Duncan Fletcher's probably forgotten who he is by now anyway*

:D :D :D

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Barney Rubble said:
Now that would be a fairytale ending. England suffer their traditional Ashes injury blitz, with only Flintoff, Giles and Simon Jones left of their original bowlers - Tremlett is called up for the 4th Test, and does very well in the absence of Harmison, but between Tests 4 and 5, with the series poised at 2-2, Matthew Hoggard pulls up with a back strain in practice. England don't want to throw in the untried Liam Plunkett, Jon Lewis or Mark Davies in a deciding Test against the Aussies, so they call up the experienced Caddick for one last hurrah, knowing he'll give his all and not be overawed by the occasion.

England fight gallantly despite their injuries, making 370 in their first innings, but the Aussies make a daunting 420 in reply. However, everything goes wrong and England are skittled for 110 in their second innings, with the Aussies set 160 to win in two and a half sessions due to a bit of rain. The Aussies make it to 80-2 and look set to win easily - but Freddie and Tremlett share 3 wickets before tea to restrict them to 120-5, with Gilchrist at the crease and only 40 needed to win.

After tea, Vaughan throws the ball to Caddick, who hasn't taken a wicket in the match yet, entrusting him with the task of dismissing Gilchrist in tandem with Flintoff. Not only does Caddick dismiss Gilly, but he rips out the Aussie tail in a spell of 5-14 in 8 overs, winning the game by 16 runs and the Ashes for England.

*wakes from dreamland to discover Caddick is now very old and pretty rubbish, and Duncan Fletcher's probably forgotten who he is by now anyway*

:D :D :D
Then everyone realises that the target was only 61 after all...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
PY said:
Got to love Caddick's wishful thinking. :D
To be fair if it came to a 5th game with scores level and we got an injury to one of the frontline 4, would you rather pick Caddick or Tremlett?

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
To be fair if it came to a 5th game with scores level and we got an injury to one of the frontline 4, would you rather pick Caddick or Tremlett?
I think I'd actually go with the Kiwi with the FA Cup Ears just this once. I like fairytales - and he certainly bowled like a fairy on occasions.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
aussie said:

i would say if Harmison or Jones were to be injured they would pick Tremlett, but Hoggard is abit different, being more the stock bowler Caddick might get a call up to replace him

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
marc71178 said:
I'd go for Tremlett, Caddick would be hopeless in a live game like that.

Eclipse

International Debutant
marc71178 said:
To be fair, it won't come to that ;)