• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in England (The Ashes)

King_Ponting

International Regular
Probably a good thing for england with vaughan injured. The replacement might add some extra batting into their team

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Scaly piscine said:
Why on Earth would anyone want to bring the fat tub of lard in ahead of Collingwood? Key on a seaming pitch (which it probably will be) would be utterly useless.
Colingwood is clearly ahead of key who will never be a consistant test performer but if they want 7 batsmen then they may well call him up whatever they do the batting looks pretty weak now or at best just unproven

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Samuel_Vimes said:
Excluding the one he made 231 (ish) on? :p
Yep! :p I said most....... :D

And may I add, against most bowling attacks - it's not like the Windies rolled England over cheaply very often last summer.

tooextracool

International Coach
Scaly piscine said:
Why on Earth would anyone want to bring the fat tub of lard in ahead of Collingwood? Key on a seaming pitch (which it probably will be) would be utterly useless.
like the 93* he made at old trafford last year i believe.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Pukka! Thats brilliant :D

My tip at the beginning of the series was 4-0 Australia, now its 5-0 (Not totally related to the Vaughan injury though)

shaka

International Regular
He (Thorpe) must be having some doubts about his decision, although these would be expected anyhow. He would be a suitable replacement for Vaughan if the English Captain was declared unavailable for this 2nd test.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
(comes out of posting retirement)

The problem with Thorpe coming out of retirement as I see it is this....

1. Let's assume for the sake of argument that both sides think that the last couple of weeks has been a terrible misunderstanding.
2. The ECB selectors go cap in hand
3. Thorpe realises their sincerity, invites them in, makes cup of tea, agrees to play at Edgbaston
4. Thorpe scores a century in each innings
5. Thorpe nullifies Warne
6. Thorpe plasters Lee all over Birmingham (that one is not hard to envisage at least)
7. England win
8. Thorpe is feted as a hero
9. Thorpe is first name on the sheet for the remaining 3 tests
10. Thorpe declines, decides to go shopping instead.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
luckyeddie said:
(comes out of posting retirement)

The problem with Thorpe coming out of retirement as I see it is this....

1. Let's assume for the sake of argument that both sides think that the last couple of weeks has been a terrible misunderstanding.
2. The ECB selectors go cap in hand
3. Thorpe realises their sincerity, invites them in, makes cup of tea, agrees to play at Edgbaston
4. Thorpe scores a century in each innings
5. Thorpe nullifies Warne
6. Thorpe plasters Lee all over Birmingham (that one is not hard to envisage at least)
7. England win
8. Thorpe is feted as a hero
9. Thorpe is first name on the sheet for the remaining 3 tests
10. Thorpe declines, decides to go shopping instead.
:laugh: :lol: , eddie your too much

King_Ponting

International Regular
green top will see whoever bats first get obliterated by the new ball and whoever fields first gain the advantage of using the underdone pitch. If england win the toss and bowl they are a good chance of winning this imo. Top scorer in this match will only be high 70's.....

Steulen

International Regular
Swing might come into play throughout the Test (Thursday to Saturday :) ) if the forecast is correct.
Another bowler's Test on the card, it seems.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I've read it's supposedly going to be a slow track - which nullifies the likes of Flintoff and Harmison to an extent.