• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** 2004 Natwest Series (Eng, NZL, WI)

Mingster

State Regular
I was very very pleased with the efforts of Butler and Hopkins as well. I always thought Butler was too erratic to cut it at ODI level, he did show glimpses of his waywardness but overall bowled with fire and pace. You almost got that nervous feeling when Butler was bowling at a new batsman. Loved that first-ball slower ball to Dwayne Bravo or Smith.

Hopkins has been superb behind the stumps, diving catches, high takes, you name it. He's also scored a 70-odd in his only innings on tour so far.

Mingster

State Regular
MoxPearl said:
Butler was ok.. but was not bowling fast
Go watch his spell again and come back.

He was bowling in excess of 86m/h consistently, and even reached 90m/h at times. You telling me that's not quick? It's not express, but certainly faster than anything NZ can dish up apart from Bond.

Mingster

State Regular
MoxPearl said:
god i hate the sky coverage and there commentators ..... except the guy who presents it and the guest commentators...

btw.. nz 9 off the first over
Man, you are proving such a fool of yourself in this thread so far. Like someone said, the "guest" commentators alternate. Coney is the only one I like, I rate him right up there with Ian Smith.

Mingster

State Regular
I liked the way how Fleming used Butler, I think using him as a first change or even second change is the way too go.

Man is Oram turning into a class ODI bowler.

gio

U19 Cricketer
Bumble (david lloyd) is a legend. Brilliant commentator. Both is good, for England fans. He lays into them and is never short of a word or two. He has extreme opinions, either England are the 2nd best side in the world, or England are the 2nd worse side in the world. He's gone from both extremes. It's great! Coney is very good. I loved is commentary on TMS, not heard much of it on sky yet. TMS has the best commentators overall though.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
PY said:
Lights may well be lights but English evenings are an enigma to everyone (even people who live here). They are so variable, dew starts falling at 7pm onwards sometimes and on other days there may well be no dew all night.
Which was exactly my point - the conditions in England are not the same for d/n as elsewhere in the world.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
But i've heard that the lights in England are as bad as the one's in Napier here. So surely that can't be helping the team batting 2nd under lights.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I wouldn't mind seeing NZ replace McCullum with McMillan in the future & have Hopkins behind the stumps because it means we're going to have rare misses behind the stumps & Hopkins is a decent gutsy batsman too.

meatspx

U19 Cricketer
Tim said:
I wouldn't mind seeing NZ replace McCullum with McMillan in the future & have Hopkins behind the stumps because it means we're going to have rare misses behind the stumps & Hopkins is a decent gutsy batsman too.
Hopkins can bat - but McCullum is good enough for ODI's and has improved his keeping alot since the 2003 WC. McMillan needs to go but the selectors should swap him for a BATSMAN - i'm sure we have a few of those in the domestic competition. If we don't - then we're screwed.

The trick is to not force McCullum into a situation where he is playing too much dricket and is given too much responsibility. NZ will be tempted to push him up the order in the ODI team, but they should keep him down the order, and only promote him in the tests.

MoxPearl

State Vice-Captain
Mingster said:
Man, you are proving such a fool of yourself in this thread so far. Like someone said, the "guest" commentators alternate. Coney is the only one I like, I rate him right up there with Ian Smith.

Errr well obviously i was talking about the guest commenetors for this game...

And holding is always the guest commentator for wi.... granted.. it coulda been crowe..

MoxPearl

State Vice-Captain
Mingster said:
Go watch his spell again and come back.

He was bowling in excess of 86m/h consistently, and even reached 90m/h at times. You telling me that's not quick? It's not express, but certainly faster than anything NZ can dish up apart from Bond.
I was calculating mph to kph wrong :P

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I wouldn't mind seeing Peter Fulton take McMillan's place in the near future.
Fulton is more solid but he showed in the State Shield that he can accelerate his innings quickly too.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Tim said:
But i've heard that the lights in England are as bad as the one's in Napier here. So surely that can't be helping the team batting 2nd under lights.
It doesnt get dark till well past 9pm though at this time of year so its not really gonna matter.

Mingster

State Regular
MoxPearl said:
Errr well obviously i was talking about the guest commenetors for this game...

And holding is always the guest commentator for wi.... granted.. it coulda been crowe..
No. Crowe is gone. And how is it called guest commentators? They've been on for the whole NatWest series.

Mingster

State Regular
Tim said:
I wouldn't mind seeing Peter Fulton take McMillan's place in the near future.
Fulton is more solid but he showed in the State Shield that he can accelerate his innings quickly too.
McMillan was shocking in the game. Dropped a sitter of a catch (which he didn't need to jump up and take it one-handed), miss-fielded a few times, and his batting display was typical of McMillan.

Unless McMillan can score a ton of runs sooner rather than later, his spot will be taken by either Sinclair, Fulton or Taylor in the next season or so. Those three have contrasting styles, being Taylor the aggressor. So far I would lean towards either Fulton or Sinclair to add balance to the middle-order. But if Taylor continues to develop, it will be hard to leave him out.

Mingster

State Regular
meatspx said:
Hopkins can bat - but McCullum is good enough for ODI's and has improved his keeping alot since the 2003 WC. McMillan needs to go but the selectors should swap him for a BATSMAN - i'm sure we have a few of those in the domestic competition. If we don't - then we're screwed.

The trick is to not force McCullum into a situation where he is playing too much dricket and is given too much responsibility. NZ will be tempted to push him up the order in the ODI team, but they should keep him down the order, and only promote him in the tests.
There was a good article by Richard Becht about McMillan's future, and how Harris would perform a better job allround than McMillan.

http://tvnz.co.nz/view/sport_story_skin/433390?format=html

Logic should always be the dominant principle used in the selection game.

Only that quality rarely seems to apply whenever the Craig McMillan case comes up.

No one could say sentiment is a player with his continued retention either, which means it must simply come down to faith - misplaced as it is - or more accurately hope.

In other words, if he's kept on long enough sooner or later he'll deliver something. The problem is enduring all the troughs along the way before there is a tangible score, or a promising innings he doesn't strangle with some witless act.

Early in New Zealand's so far depressing tour of England, McMillan churlishly - as usual - demanded everyone should get off his case as he blundered along. He followed up an 80-odd against Leicestershire with a far from healthy double in the heavy defeat by Kent in the final match before the first test.

And then the first test - well, let's not go there. Don't innings of 6 and 0 say enough?

He not unnaturally helped himself to some runs against soft opposition (Northamptonshire) after the Lord's test, only a broken finger forced him out of the second test at Headingley.

Restored for the Trent Bridge test, McMillan also reacquainted himself with a familiar round, single digit score in the first innings and the dizzying heights of 30 in the second of yet another defeat. When it was all over, only two batsmen - Kyle Mills and Chris Martin (of course) - sat below McMillan (9.00) in the test averages.

Despite the poor effort, his career test average is still slightly above 40.00 (40.07) but now the concerns are with his one-day game, where his average is decidedly ordinary for a player of his natural ability (sometimes). Here the figure reads just 27.04 after 147 matches.

McMillan's law suggests he's likely to provide an innings of reasonable substance some time soon, possibly in New Zealand's next outing in the NatWest series against England at Riverside early tomorrow (Wednesday). Then again, chances are he'll have no special difficulty finding an irritating way to dismiss himself for not many. That's the way it is in McMillan's world.

But after the way the test series unfolded, the question in McMillan's case might well be asked: Why bother with him at all in this NatWest series? Let him go to stew again and come back a (hopefully) better player, or not at all.

It's not as though this New Zealand team doesn't have some options. After all, Michael Papps did a fine job opening in the one-dayers at home against South Africa - 204 runs at 51.00 - and, logically, his partnership with Stephen Fleming might have been used again. Logically, that is. The fit-again Nathan Astle could have shifted down to No 5 with McMillan taking a rest (mercifully).

Or Astle could have stayed in tandem with Fleming and Chris Harris could have retained his spot in the middle order. The accent there is on the word "retained". Harris, along with Papps, was there at the end of the Black Caps' series when they brushed South Africa 5-1. Harris played in the last two wins, man of the match in one and scoring at very close to a run a ball in his two innings. He's a far more consistent and reliable one-day batsman than McMillan, an infinitely better fieldsman and he can still play a role as a bowler in the right conditions.

But that's all much too logical and logic hasn't been too closely observed on this tour, certainly not in the selection area.

Instead McMillan is still there and overdue yet again to repay the selectors for the faith/hope placed in him. Logically, he'll find a way to trip up, or will he? Maybe everyone should just get off his case. Yeah, right.

meatspx

U19 Cricketer
McMillan will be retained for the tour of Bangladesh.
Probably smash a 100 and keep his place in the team :/

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
McMillan said half way through the test series for everyone to get off his case..well it's almost the end of the Natwest Series & nothing has changed. He's still getting starts & then playing stupid shots or not moving his feet.

I have never seen McMillan have a good run of form EVER. He gets a decent score of 80 & then proceeds to get scores of 20, 4, 15 etc.

In McMillan's favour is the fact that it's unlikely NZ will look to bring in new players during the off-season because they haven't been playing. But if he continues to perform badly against Australia & then Sri Lanka in December..i'd say his days are numbered.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I haven't seen too much talk about Hamish Marshall..he recorded yet another half century finishing 75* yesterday. He's very good at rotating the strike & keeping the scoreboard ticking over.

Has NZ finally found a good #3?