• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** 2004 Natwest Series (Eng, NZL, WI)

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
As someone from the Sky team said, Nathan Astle is not feeling at home here. He's definitely out of touch and has yet to strike form. Would you have him batting lower down the order, at number 4? That would also mean choosing a new opening partner, so whom would you pick? Come to think of it, should Nathan Astle play in the next match?

Macka

U19 Vice-Captain
I'd agree that the Sky Sport commentary isn't great. They know their stuff about the England team, and boy do they keep going on about them. Ian Botham called Hamish Marshall 'a limited player', when it was very obvious he was seeing us through to the end. With a small target there was no need for Marshall to up his run rate at all. Marshall summed up the situation well and did what was needed. He is far from a limited player. Mark Nicholas isn't doing commentary is he? Why not?

MacMillan shouldn't be in the ODI team, and I'm glad to see Butler bowled well and didnt drop short consistantly.

Astle isn't a good traveller, I read somewhere that he tends to stay in his room a lot. However he is NZ's best ODI player and should definitely play in the next game.

gio

U19 Cricketer
Mark Nicholas commentates for Channel 4. Sky Sports have the rights to the ODI series, and one test match; Channel 4 have the rights to the all the other domestic tests.

Mingster

State Regular
Ian Botham knows jack about the NZ team really. He called Scotty Styris as "nothing more than a part-time option" when the ND man has taken nearly a wicket every ODI.

Mingster

State Regular
Arjun said:
As someone from the Sky team said, Nathan Astle is not feeling at home here. He's definitely out of touch and has yet to strike form. Would you have him batting lower down the order, at number 4? That would also mean choosing a new opening partner, so whom would you pick? Come to think of it, should Nathan Astle play in the next match?
If you want him to feel at home in the ODIs, you could only do worse by putting him in an unfamiliar position at number 4. Leave him at opening or play him at first drop and give Michael Papps a run. Cairns and the other lower order batsmen have hardly had a decent bat yet in this series, I think we might see the likes of Cairns promoted either tonight or on Tuesday.

meatspx

U19 Cricketer
Just listening to Radio Sport and they were walking to a guy called 'David' who was an English commentator, speaking on behalf of a club/county team. Didn't get much information on who he was as I tuned in half way through his interview.

He said that Hamish Marshall was an excellent player who scored 80 and 106 against a university side and Sommerset - that he played all the shots in the book but it seemed that he was more circumspect in NZ's latest game.

Marshall certainly can play attacking cricket - he can play the pull shot and has a nice cut/roof shot. He certainly prefers the faster wickets. I think he could play an innings where his strike-rate would be 90 - 100 if chasing a large total - but would struggle compared to other players in the team, with a scenario of 90 runs off 10 overs.

Botham comments were rubbish - didn't look at his innings in the context of the game. There was no need to throw his wicket away, I'd trust McMillan or Cairns to do that, not Marshall.

Mingster

State Regular
I think you mean David Gower?

McMillan was extremely ****ing me off last night. He kept trying to nudge it down to third man/gully region for ONE run, when he could have easily pushed it in the covers for a single as well. I have no problem with the nudges to third man, like Marshall who basically get a run a ball attempting the little tickle. Comparing Marshall to McMillan last night was so painful to the eye.

meatspx

U19 Cricketer
Mingster said:

McMillan was extremely ****ing me off last night. He kept trying to nudge it down to third man/gully region for ONE run, when he could have easily pushed it in the covers for a single as well. I have no problem with the nudges to third man, like Marshall who basically get a run a ball attempting the little tickle. Comparing Marshall to McMillan last night was so painful to the eye.
Martin Crowe made some good comments on McMillan last summer. Said that he should play straight - and cut out the deflections. When McMillan plays hard and straight he is a good batsman, looks like he has forgotten Crowe's tips.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
So with NZ nailed on for this match its between WI and Eng for the final with WI slight favorites.

Good to see Sajid making his debut though

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Fast Bowler, Slogging batsmen - good to see england going in with a better balanced side, not that it will make much difference - it will be interesting to see what Saj gets timed at though

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
NZ would need some serious misfortune in the next 3 matches for them to miss out on the final.
Why is Cairns out? is he injured?

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
lol it has begun! Trescothick is run out.

4/1...there has been some terrible running between the wickets in this series.

And for all the wraps I gave Hopkins, he dropped a sitter...oh well.

Macka

U19 Vice-Captain
Mingster said:

Yeah I can't stand him playing with 1/2 a bat. Even if he did a Michael Papps and didn't even try to run the ball down to 3rd man I'd be happy.

That run out was a bit weird. Hope Micheal Vaughan does well, he is a great player to watch.