• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** 2004 Natwest Series (Eng, NZL, WI)

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
How many times have we seen McMillan try and dab one through third man & end up feathering one to the keeper? the other common dismissal is where he gets trapped lbw because he doesn't move his feet.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Yes, the England batting lineup looks stronger today on paper..but whether they can produce the goods it's too early to say.

Franklin is having more nightmares with wides, now a no-ball. Let's hope he's not going to do an Andrew Penn.

Craig

World Traveller
Tim said:
I haven't seen too much talk about Hamish Marshall..he recorded yet another half century finishing 75* yesterday. He's very good at rotating the strike & keeping the scoreboard ticking over.

Has NZ finally found a good #3?
Where you do fit Michael Papps in?

He does not deserve to be flicked straight away with his impressive debut ODI series v South Africa earlier this year.

I'm glad to see New Zealand have turned around their poor Test series v England. So I would assume one more win today and it will all but secure our spot in the Final.

Really England have been disappionting. I know Andrew Flintoff has been injured and yes he is a very important member of the ODI team, but he can't surely be instrumental if England win or lose. In other words, England's performance should not be deterimed if England win or not.

Forget the West Indies employing batting, bowling, and fielding coaches and the like, how about employing a running between the wickets coach? It is one of the most basic bits in cricket, you teams should get it right.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Well..i'd have to say that Papps suffered from the fact that Astle is probably NZ's best ODI batsman of all time and so he gets first dibs over Papps.
Astle hasn't exactly been brilliant on this tour..but to be honest I never expected him to be considering the amount of cricket he played before this tour. BUT, it's time now that he put a substantial innings on the board.

If he fails today & NZ win..then I think Papps should get a run in the final round-robin match.

PY

International Coach
This is Robert Key's big chance IMO. He has 50 overs to build an innings and show his ability.

23/1 (9 overs)
Key 8*
Vaughan 7*

Oram is bowling rather well. Anyone watching it? What are conditions like?

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Oram is a brilliant player now....Oram & Flintoff are going to have some terrific battles in the future.

Franklin has been disappointing but at least they've kept England in check.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I think either Vaughan or Key will get a big innings today, they're looking pretty good at the moment but not overally threatning.

Err..thanks very much Michael. 35/2..Oram gets a well deserved wicket.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Bugger it! should have been 41/3 but Marshall dropped a sitter...actually it's interesting how good fielders sometimes drop the easiest of catches.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I'd like to see England set NZ a big total today. It's been far too easy for NZ so far & i'd hate to see us get to the final and have to chase a huge total & lose because we'd had little practice of it beforehand.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
You beauty Styris!...Styris is better bowler than he's given credit for IMO. He has the ability to annoy batsmen like Gavin Larsen did.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Marshall IMO is way too active..he's moving around too much before the ball is bowled. He'll always be a far better fielder saving runs than taking catches..Lou Vincent is the same & to some extent Jonty Rhodes had that habit too.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Fortunately NZ are getting second bites at the cherry..but on another day these misses in the field could be very costly.

Butler is bowling quick..this is really good. Around 145 kph which is pretty handy.

Last edited:

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
One gets the feeling that NZ might pay for that missed chance off Flintoff.

Craig

World Traveller
67-3.

What do people think of Butler as a ODI bowler?

I thought Papps hasn't played to that injury?

Times does fly.

EDIT: Why isn't Chris Cairns playing? Injured or just rested?

Last edited:

PY

International Coach
Which chance was that Tim? Only just started to listen to it and can't find it on CricInfo.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Marshall dropped a chance off Flintoff a few overs back. The bowler was Styris.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Oh..Im still not convinced that Butler has suddenly become good. But I think if he can stop bowling 1 or 2 bad balls an over he'll be really good.