• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** 2004 Natwest Series (Eng, NZL, WI)

anzac

International Debutant
:w00t:

what a good day so far.............

I manage to have an early finish from work........
they're finally showing the ODIs & I get to see my first match of the Tour........
ENG all out for 101........
Franklin gets a 5 fer..........

and this is still not a full strength / 1st choice NZL bowling attack, as ordinarily Tuffey would have been expected to start ahead of Franklin.........

with a RRR of just over 2 RPO the NZL batting must take time to settle & get established b4 attacking - by the same token there is no need to go into their shells & look for demons in the pitch, just a common sense approach to batting........please.......

Kent

State 12th Man
Sorry Anzac...

With a 56 average and a 5.3 ER, Cairns says there's some important psychological damage to be done to Harmison by knocking this off in 10 overs. ;)

Loony BoB

International Captain
10 overs!!?? Good God. Okay, I want to be home now. :( Stupid one hour bus trip. *grumbles* Oh well. I've finished work for the day so I'll be sure to not check any cricket scores until the highlights are showing, if NZ does decide to go that quickly (be it successful or not).

anzac

International Debutant
must say that I find it interesting to hear the debate re the ENG lineup regarding the batting being a batsman short etc..........

I agree that it seems they need another batsman, but they are also lacking experience behind the openers - Jones & Strauss have talent but still lack the experience, and then the rest are not exactly regular staters........

I'd probably look to change the order to give some protection to the middle & lower order, but also to spread the experience in the lineup - Strauss to Open & Vaughan to #4, & I'd probably look at key for #3, then Jones at #5 followed by Flintoff at #6..........but I'd also have one or two players able to cover the batting, but not have 3 or 4 playing for positions as in this lineup....

admittedly ENG are also missing a few 1st choice starters (& that can make a BIIG difference)

if ENG are building towards rebuilding the side & a playing style for the future then fair enough - I'd say settle on a squad, team & style, and then have patience to go thru the troughs b4 being able to reap the benefits as it all starts to come together.....if they're sure they've got the right mix of players then have faith in them to be able to get there eventually........

as an example Oram has been around in ODIs for some time, but IMO has only started to look an international player since making his Test debut in the last 12 months........

anzac

International Debutant
Kent said:
Sorry Anzac...

With a 56 average and a 5.3 ER, Cairns says there's some important psychological damage to be done to Harmison by knocking this off in 10 overs. ;)
nah............sus the pitch out 1st b4 committing to an all out attack.......

I note Gough is already getting them to squat & we're only in the 3rd over!!!!

so far as Harmison goes he's generating good pace & looks impressive, but he's not making the batsman play so far - he can keep this up all day so far as I'm concerned as I doubt he'd be able to keep it up without becoming frustrated & trying too hard - then you can pick him off........... :D

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
bad idea, If you are gonna do that then leave jones as keeper and put in a proper batsmen like Bell, Key or Pieterson (who will be avaliable for the ICC Trophy).
Read is ok but is too much of a slogger (much like Blackwell) and we need someone who we can rely on to get runs and keep the run rate up not get out to a poor shot trying to get a 4 or 6.
Read's slogs get some runs. I don't know what Clarke and Anthony are doing, but they're not getting any runs! Blackwell is not a bad choice, he can hit the ball hard. He just needs to make good use of his hitting power.

Isn't Robert Key the right-handed Mark Butcher? That would be enough to keep him out.

Anyway, these bits-and-pieces players are wasting 3 places. With Read, you're making good use of one position.