• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** 2004 Natwest Series (Eng, NZL, WI)

anzac

International Debutant
at last NZL have something to smile about - good all 'round performance from the team, but nothing to get too excited abot yet - the performances v RSA were better - ENG did as much to loose this game as NZL did to win it!!!!

Kent

State 12th Man
On the bright side, Harmison's now bowling faster than Bond's ever been clocked. Other NZ fans might be able to confirm that.

anzac

International Debutant
as I said earlier IMO ENG are at least 1 batsman short, I'm not sure that Jones is good enough to be #5 let alone a #3, and all their experience in the batting is with the openers!!!!

I'd open with Strauss & have Vaughan down at #4 & bring in another batsman with top order experience to bat at #3 - on this year's form Key would have to be at the top of the list so far..........

alternatively you could go for Tresco, Key, Strauss, Vaughan, but as I said I'm not sure about Jones at #5 (not sure if Flintoff has the patience for a #5)....

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Kent said:
On the bright side, Harmison's now bowling faster than Bond's ever been clocked. Other NZ fans might be able to confirm that.
Harmison seems to really be up on confidence now with his slightly reworked action. I saw on Sky that his fastest ball was clocked at 96.0mph which is 154.5 kph. He also averaged over 92mph through 7 overs. Outstanding speed, certainly the fastest spell of bowling by an englishmen ive ever seen, and coming from a great height too. Lets hope he can keep it up and not burn out.
:-O

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Just in case there are calls to bring back Hussain, here's a better idea. Why not recall Gooch, Gatting, Gower, Boycott and Fairbrother instead? Perhaps David Graveney should ask Pat Symcox for a few hints at selecting a team!

gio

U19 Cricketer
Key and Mahmood have to play for McGrath and Blackwell. I'd then bring in either Graeme Swann, Graham Napier or Johnathan Trott for Giles, Although I'm not sure if Trott is qualified yet. My lineup for Thursday

Tres
Strauss
Key
Vaughan
Colly
Trott/Jones
Jones/Napier/Swann
Mahmood
Gough
Harmison
Anderson.

You have four clear bowlers, 6 clear batsman and one allrounder. That allrounder should be a batting allrounder. Trott would be my personal choice. More of a batsman than allrounder, but he can chip in like colly, tres and Vaughan can for the 5th bowler.

Sudeep

International Captain
gio said:
I'd then bring in either Graeme Swann, Graham Napier or Johnathan Trott for Giles, Although I'm not sure if Trott is qualified yet.
Seriously, what has Giles done wrong?

Kent

State 12th Man
SpaceMonkey said:
Harmison seems to really be up on confidence now with his slightly reworked action. I saw on Sky that his fastest ball was clocked at 96.0mph which is 154.5 kph. He also averaged over 92mph through 7 overs. Outstanding speed, certainly the fastest spell of bowling by an englishmen ive ever seen, and coming from a great height too. Lets hope he can keep it up and not burn out.
:-O
Although he probably should still be playing these ODIs, it would be awful if he's not fit for the tour of SA or the next Ashes series.

Last edited:

gio

U19 Cricketer
If you play 4 out and out pace bowlers, then you need more of a batting allrounder to make up the numbers. Giles doesn't give enough with the bat, and his bowling can be vulnerable. Trott, Napier, Swann and even Bell and Wagh would be better options, IMO. Wagh and Swann are spinners, the latter in good form for the past two seasons. Swann has also contributed well with bat on occassions, though not enough to merit selection as an allrounder. Hence, I would probably only play swann on a pitch condusive to spin. Napier, imo, should be next inline whenever Flintoff breaks down. He is a steady bowler and is a similar batsman to flintoff. Bell and Wagh can contribute to the 5th bowler, whilst Trott, Swann and Napier could almost bowl out.

gio

U19 Cricketer
no, I'd pick him as a batsman who can offer something as a 5th bowler. He could bowl 4 overs, maybe more. Colly, Vaughan, Tres could make up the rest. But the main reason I'd pick him is to strengthen the batting.

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't think he's qualified yet, anyway.

As far as I see it, those in line to replace the bits-and-pieces rubbish in the middle order should be some of: Key, Bell, Gidman and Pietersen (no particular order).

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Neil Pickup said:
I don't think he's qualified yet, anyway.

As far as I see it, those in line to replace the bits-and-pieces rubbish in the middle order should be some of: Key, Bell, Gidman and Pietersen (no particular order).
I'm surprised Gidman cant get in ahead of Clarke as Flintoffs understudy thats for sure, i guess he plays for the wrong county :)

My team for the ICC would be.

Trescothick
Strauss
Pieterson
Vaughan
Bell
Flintoff
Jones
Mahmood
Gough
Harmison
Anderson

That gives 5 proper front line bowlers. With pieterson / Vaughan able to bowl some spin if needed and bell / trescothick able to bowl some Seam up if one of the 5 bowlers breaks down or is getting smacked. You could drop/Rest one of Harmi/Anderson/Gough/Mahmood and stick in another Batsmen (Key or Collingwood?) and then have Trescothick/Bell/Pieterson/Colly(if played) Bowl as the 5th bowling spot.
This would also give a much strong bowling / batting lineup as well as giving the potential future test players a run out (bell, mahmood, pieterson).
You could also Stick Jones or Flintoff upto 3 if you wanted to take advantage of the fielding restrictions.

Feel free to rip me apart :) but i honestly believe that team would do very good. (certainly better than what we currently have).

gio

U19 Cricketer
Is Gidman really ready yet? He's in the McGrath mode for me, a decent batsman who bowls a bit of seam-up. They're almost identical in terms of the way they play and the role they have in their respecitve counties. Don't get me wrong, I think Gidman can go further than McGrath. but not yet. imo, he's no better than Clarke and McGrath at this stage in his career.

Last edited:

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
2 years out from international cricket has done James Franklin the world of good. He looks like he's becoming a quality left-armer & whats more he's also a very useful #9 or #10 batsman.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I will probably get criticised but I feel Vaughan is an average captain at best...I think he got a free ride in the test series because things fell into place for him rather than anything else.

He's been totally exposed in the ODI's however, it'll be interesting to see how he deals with it.

gio

U19 Cricketer
I don't agree. His captaincy has been good all summer and throughout most of the winter. These last two games he couldn't have done much more. The problems have come from each players own instincts and abilities. Like someone has said, I think this could be a blessing for the England ODI side. They really have to sit down and rethink thier ODI policys and tactics. Hopefully things will improve by the time the natwest challenge and the ICC trophy come along.