• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Most Overrated Player?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Arjun said:
Come to think of it, all Indian pace bowlers except Kapil Dev and his medium-pace gang are over-rated.
You are absolutely right. Thats why when one tries to make an all time Indian eleven, you have to go all the way to the first ever test match in 1932 to find a partner for Kapil !!

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
That said, pace-driven or spin-based, any Indian bowling attack can be competitive, if backed by very good fielding (from everyone) and top quality wicketkeeping, both of which are missing.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Pkfan100 said:
brett lee, sourav ganguly, daryll tuffey, chris martin, lou vincent, attapattu
Im not sure how you could call Attapattu over rated...
He is an excellent batsman who isnt really rated by anyone much...

nookie_lk

First Class Debutant
laxman, kaif, trescothick, steve waugh, bret lee, lehman(totally crap), graig macmillan(nz), sehvag, boeta dippena, boje,

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
nookie_lk said:
laxman, kaif, trescothick, steve waugh, bret lee, lehman(totally crap), graig macmillan(nz), sehvag, boeta dippena, boje,
Before you slag them off (stupidly might I add) you should probably learn to spell their names.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
And provide something to show why they're bad (in particular Lehmann, Laxman and Steve Waugh)

Is it just because they're not Sri Lankans?

greencarrot2

Cricket Spectator
Dingo said:
Well Brett Lee's got a little way to go before he's considered as an all-rounder.

My vote for most overrated is split between Graeme Thorpe and any of the Pakistani batsmen (they go through so bloody many)
Graeme Thorpe is not overated!!!!

delkap

State Vice-Captain
nookie_lk said:
You hv lost your mind mate !!
Trescothic ?
Lehmann ??
Laxman ???
Sehwag ????
Steve Waugh ?????

tooextracool

International Coach
nookie_lk said:
interesting, not when Sri lankan on that list considering nearly all of them average in the high 40s or early 50s at home(b'desh and zim) and in the mid 30s everywhere else

delkap

State Vice-Captain
tooextracool said:
i can see at least 2 players on that list that are overrated
Which ones? Trescothic maybe a little bit, Laxman maybe a little in ODI's thats abt it IMO.. Not as over-rated as nookie_lk made em out to be..

tooextracool

International Coach
delkap said:
Which ones? Trescothic maybe a little bit, Laxman maybe a little in ODI's thats abt it IMO.. Not as over-rated as nookie_lk made em out to be..
trescothick and sehwag are extremely overrated, i dont think laxman is.
the rest, in particularly lehmann and waugh are just plain stupid......

Tom Halsey

International Coach
On what basis exactly are Tresco and Sehwag overrated?

Tresco has hit a few hundreds recently (not in the Lords Test mind) but still he's overrated!

tooextracool

International Coach
Tom Halsey said:
On what basis exactly are Tresco and Sehwag overrated?!

Tresco has hit a few hundreds recently (not in the Lords Test mind) but still he's overrated!

sehwag largely because of how lucky hes been in his short test career to date, and his recent one day performances do show that he isnt as good as hes made out to be.
ive stated my opinion on tresco before.....personally id like to see him score against attacks with pace outside of the flat wickets hes been batting on recently.....

Tom Halsey

International Coach
a) Based on what is Sehwag lucky?

b) So, for Tresco to not be underrated, does he have to average 50+ on green-tops? You can only bat on what you are given to bat on.

tooextracool

International Coach
Tom Halsey said:
a) Based on what is Sehwag lucky?.
err the 309 with the several catches dropped off him.....the innings in australia where several of his mis hits somehow managed to pierce the fielders.....

Tom Halsey said:
b) So, for Tresco to not be underrated,
you do mean overrated dont you?

Tom Halsey said:
does he have to average 50+ on green-tops? You can only bat on what you are given to bat on.
yes i know you can only bat what you are given to bat on....but its strange how someone could fail so miserably in the first 3 tests in the WI and then suddenly score on the flattest wicket on the 4th. then again hes failed twice against australia and struggled against SA outside the oval. i for one was extremely surprised that the wickets this summer have been this flat but i really think that trescos real test will be in the next 2 series,against SA and australia.....