• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Most Overrated Player?

Swervy

International Captain
nookie_lk said:
lol.....ok
trescothik vs jayasuriya
vaughn vs Atapattu
straus vs Jayawardena
gareth jones vs sangakkara
giles vs murali (lol)
hoggard vs Vass

i have to agree flintoff and harmison are definitely exellent.
but...just compare the above players stats and u decide who's better....
ok lets have a little look then....using the PWC Ratings which favours performances that have been recent over performances which are years old and are so more relevent to now than someones career avearge (which I think you were wanting to use to prove class...cricket isnt that simple..and neither am I)

Batting(England in Bold)
12th.Trescothick 733
16th.Jayawardene 699
19th Thorpe 690
24th. Vaughan 656
25th. Sangakkara 644
27th. Atapattu 637
29th. Butcher 617
30th Jayarsuyia 616
31st Flintoff 600
37th. Samaraweera 551
38th Tillekeratne 534
47th Strauss 470
54th Dilshan 432
65th G Jones 363

Bowling
1st Murali 886
3rd Harmison 834
10th Giles 655
12th Vaas 634
16th Hoggard 586
25th Flintoff 532
36th Zoysa 457
43rd Chandana 367
44th Jayasuryia 360
50th D Fernando 336
52nd Anderson 329
61st S Jones 270

mmm...looks like England are pretty much stronger in the bowling dept...and for that matter, they are stronger in the batting.... :D

Swervy

International Captain
nookie_lk said:
jees mate ur just another lame English supporter who is talking big just becuase england is on top at the moment...i guess u guys wont have much chances to talk good about england...go ahead and knock ur self out !!! feel sorry for people like u.
as i say..I am not an England supporter, I just understand the game (and I have a bit of time on my hands coz I am waiting for the guy to come and install my Sky Digital :D ...he is late).

Why feel sorry for me...you have come on here with some poor excuse for an arguement..I have blown you out of the water, so go feel sorry for what you see in the mirror coz you are mixing it with the big boys now :D

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Swervy said:
ok lets have a little look then....using the PWC Ratings which favours performances that have been recent over performances which are years old and are so more relevent to now than someones career avearge (which I think you were wanting to use to prove class...cricket isnt that simple..and neither am I)

Batting(England in Bold)
12th.Trescothick 733
16th.Jayawardene 699
19th Thorpe 690
24th. Vaughan 656
25th. Sangakkara 644
27th. Atapattu 637
29th. Butcher 617
30th Jayarsuyia 616
31st Flintoff 600
37th. Samaraweera 551
38th Tillekeratne 534
47th Strauss 470
54th Dilshan 432
65th G Jones 363

Bowling
1st Murali 886
3rd Harmison 834
10th Giles 655
12th Vaas 634
16th Hoggard 586
25th Flintoff 532
36th Zoysa 457
43rd Chandana 367
44th Jayasuryia 360
50th D Fernando 336
52nd Anderson 329
61st S Jones 270

mmm...looks like England are pretty much stronger in the bowling dept...and for that matter, they are stronger in the batting.... :D
Aside from the fact that ratings mean little, how is England stronger in the bowling department when they have 3 bowlers in the top 50 and Sri Lanka have 6?

Swervy

International Captain
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Aside from the fact that ratings mean little, how is England stronger in the bowling department when they have 3 bowlers in the top 50 and Sri Lanka have 6?

of course this isnt the way to figure who is better..I think we all know instinctivly the England have a far superior pace attack than SL's....but using the ratings (which do give an indication of form and disregard the rather blurring thing of reputation), I think you can see that the 4 'hardcore' bowlers for England have performed well, where as SL's attack is reliant on 2 players.

So if one of the top England bowlers is struggling, then more often than not, someone else has stepped up and done well....if Vaas isnt playing well, who in the SL pace attack (and I use pace quite loosely there) is going to step up and do the business.

nookie_lk

First Class Debutant
Swervy said:
as i say..I am not an England supporter, I just understand the game (and I have a bit of time on my hands coz I am waiting for the guy to come and install my Sky Digital :D ...he is late).

Why feel sorry for me...you have come on here with some poor excuse for an arguement..I have blown you out of the water, so go feel sorry for what you see in the mirror coz you are mixing it with the big boys now :D

and its you whos telling that ur a big boy here.....again how lame is that...(how old are u by the way )

Swervy

International Captain
nookie_lk said:
and its you whos telling that ur a big boy here.....again how lame is that...(how old are u by the way )
sorry if you failed to pick up on the 'tongue in cheek' aspect of my post there...

hey what has age got to do with this anyway!!!! Lets just say I have seen plenty of cricket in the last 25 years to know who is good and who isnt

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
nookie_lk said:
i think the most overated team is definitely England ...

Funny how you use the Asia Cup to ask whether people still think SL are over-rated, yet then level that accusation at a team that has lost just 3 of their last 22 Test Matches (winning 15) and indeed have won 8 of their last 9!

Swervy

International Captain
oh marc..u are just another lame Englaish supporter 8-)

your opinion doesnt count coz you dont support Sri Lanka :D

tooextracool

International Coach
nookie_lk said:
lol.....ok
trescothik vs jayasuriya
vaughn vs Atapattu
straus vs Jayawardena
gareth jones vs sangakkara
giles vs murali (lol)
hoggard vs Vass

i have to agree flintoff and harmison are definitely exellent.
but...just compare the above players stats and u decide who's better....
just one question....when was the last time this 'brilliant' SL side managed to win a series outside home(zim & b'desh)?

Tom Halsey

International Coach
tooextracool said:
there were a lot more than 'couple of chances' i can assure you....sehwag was dropped twice by saqlain,once by sami, and then again in slip by taufeeq umar or farhat, then a run out opportunity that was missed are the ones that i remember clearly. its interesting how someone who accuses me of not watching the cricket comes up with an absurd statement like that.
My statement was not an absurd statement - it was a fact.

I have to admit that I didn't watch very much of the innings - only caught part of the highlights. I only saw 2 of the chances. Still, he played some excellent strokes, and while he may not have deserved 309, he still played very well.

You could even argue that Lara didn't deserve 400 - IMO he was out on 0, but the umpire gave him not out.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
England have 4 in the top 25, Sri Lanka have only 2.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
nookie_lk said:
i think the most overated team is definitely England ...specially graham thrope and micheal vaugn(maybe not flintoff)... and ofcourse all the bowlers.
Yeah, have a laugh mate.

And I'm just another lame England supporter, you support Sri Lanka, so we should all worship you. 8-)

Tom Halsey

International Coach
nookie_lk said:
well thats just recently against westindies and new zealand england played well... how do u explain the fact that Sri lanka was the 3 rd best test playing nation uptill the last month ???
Because they have a bowler with a very suspect action taking wickets for them.