• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Most Overrated Player?

Swervy

International Captain
nookie_lk said:
well what do u have to say about this now after the asia cup win ?
teams will tend to be judged more on test performances than ODI performances, the good teams tend to win tests, in ODI's anything can happen, its more of a lottery.

By the looks of it,Sri Lanka were playing at the top of their game in the Asia Cup, while India and Pakistan werent firing on all cylinders. Another thing to consider is that it was played in Sri Lanka...and Sri lanka are very hard to beat at home.

Swervy

International Captain
nookie_lk said:
i think the most overated team is definitely England ...specially graham thrope and micheal vaugn(maybe not flintoff)... and ofcourse all the bowlers.
how is Thorpe overated..he is a class act.
And if you get Vaughan in form, there are many better batsmen in the world.

If you had watched England over the last few months, you will have seen a team that has totally deserved their success.

the one blip on Englands cards is the series vs Sri Lanka, even then they showed pretty good fighting spirit,and Sri Lanka are very tough at home.

I still think Sri Lanka rely on the presence of Murali far too much, if you take him out of the equation (either by him not playing, or figuring out how to play him(and now with the doosra out of his playbook,that will be easier)),they are an average test playing team.

nookie_lk

First Class Debutant
Swervy said:
how is Thorpe overated..he is a class act.
And if you get Vaughan in form, there are many better batsmen in the world.

If you had watched England over the last few months, you will have seen a team that has totally deserved their success.

the one blip on Englands cards is the series vs Sri Lanka, even then they showed pretty good fighting spirit,and Sri Lanka are very tough at home.

I still think Sri Lanka rely on the presence of Murali far too much, if you take him out of the equation (either by him not playing, or figuring out how to play him(and now with the doosra out of his playbook,that will be easier)),they are an average test playing team.

well thats just recently against westindies and new zealand england played well... how do u explain the fact that Sri lanka was the 3 rd best test playing nation uptill the last month ???

Swervy

International Captain
nookie_lk said:
well thats just recently against westindies and new zealand england played well... how do u explain the fact that Sri lanka was the 3 rd best test playing nation uptill the last month ???
were they...well i would struggle to explain why SL were 3rd best test team, coz I really dont think they are.
ATM, Australia,England,SA and India are all stronger,and probably Pakistan as well,and to be honest I think NZ are too (they played a lot better than the 3-0 vs England scoreline suggests).

England also fought well vs SA for a 2-2 series last year.

If you had watched England play, you would see that it isnt to do with the results they have got (or who they have been playing against) its how they have playede, which has been very impressive.

As i say, this England team is young and fairly inexperienced, and so may take a step backwards soon (maybe vs SA) results wise before they go forward again, that would be understandable...

The team is firing in all departments now,and even if one or two of the bowlers arent at top form, one of the others seems to be coming in with game winning performances..same with the batting(which is looking very powerful at the moment, all the way down to number 7, and with Giles at number 8 there is depth)....and Flintoff is quickly becoming the premier all rounder in the world (he can certainly turn a game round quicker than say Kallis)

I am liking Vaughans captaincy at the moment,and they have a good spirit as well....in my eyes they do deserve to be ranked in the top 3 test teams

nookie_lk

First Class Debutant
Swervy said:
were they...well i would struggle to explain why SL were 3rd best test team, coz I really dont think they are.
ATM, Australia,England,SA and India are all stronger,and probably Pakistan as well,and to be honest I think NZ are too (they played a lot better than the 3-0 vs England scoreline suggests).
mate...before the past 4 months England was around 5 or 6 in the rankings. and the recent performance was the cause they came up to number 3. the main reason they performed well is becuase they played at home(WI and NZ ). once they go out of england they are basically crap. specially their batsman. Sri Lanka is similar to that...but when considering the performances compared to Englands latter performances...ranking 3rd in tests sure is fair enough...

Swervy

International Captain
nookie_lk said:

i have just looked at the official rankings...Sri Lanka havent been ranked third since May 2002...since then they have pretty consistantly been ranked 6th or 7th

nookie_lk

First Class Debutant
Swervy said:
i have just looked at the official rankings...Sri Lanka havent been ranked third since May 2002...since then they have pretty consistantly been ranked 6th or 7th

which ranking system did u check ? and are u talking about test or ODI rankings ?

Swervy

International Captain
nookie_lk said:
mate...before the past 4 months England was around 5 or 6 in the rankings. and the recent performance was the cause they came up to number 3. the main reason they performed well is becuase they played at home(WI and NZ ). once they go out of england they are basically crap. specially their batsman. Sri Lanka is similar to that...but when considering the performances compared to Englands latter performances...ranking 3rd in tests sure is fair enough...
Right..well no team in the world relies on their home performances more than Sri Lanka, so you can knock that one on the head for a start.

As for playing the WI and NZ...well WI seemed to give SL a bit of a walloping 12months ago...and NZ are a good team, so again whats your point.

Just face it mate, you may not like it, but the fact of the matter is that England have performed really well recently...Sri Lanka havent (the ironic thing about that is SL handed England a good beating last year).

Swervy

International Captain
nookie_lk said:
which ranking system did u check ? and are u talking about test or ODI rankings ?
we are talking test cricket here...and i assume you are , or you wouldnt have mentioned Thorpe being overated, as he doesnt play ODI anymore.

To be honest , I dont give a flying **** about ODI's until it comes to a major tournament such as the CHampions Trophy or the World Cup....you can be ranked number one for all i care,if you arent performing in tests, it means nothing to me

Swervy

International Captain
Just to prove a point....in the last two years, Sri Lanka have played 17 tests vs teams other than Zimb and Bangladesh. They have won 1 (vs England),and have lost 9 (vs England,SA,WI,Australia)

In the same time England have played 29 tests vs the 'big' teams, and have won 14(vs Sri Lanka,India,Australia,NZ,WI and South Africa) and lost 8 (vs Australia,SL,SA,India)

and you still think that Sri Lanka should be ranked higher!!!!! :D

nookie_lk

First Class Debutant
i see u have alot of research skills (thanks to cricinfo)lol....anyway... the argument was that all the srilankan players were over rated right ? thats where england is crap.. if u compare the class and the performances of all the english players and sri lankan players (test statistics) you will see that sri lankan players aren't underated at all.

OK if that doesnt make u understand... F*** the staistics.. just compare the the two lineups and decide. and also i guess u dont care a flying F*$% about one day cricket is becuase england does not exist in ODI's..they are simply crap at ODI's. and if they were no- 3 in ODI's guess u would say that u dont give a flying F*** about test cricket ??? (oh... and cool down)

Swervy

International Captain
nookie_lk said:
i see u have alot of research skills (thanks to cricinfo)lol....anyway... the argument was that all the srilankan players were over rated right ? thats where england is crap.. if u compare the class and the performances of all the english players and sri lankan players (test statistics) you will see that sri lankan players aren't underated at all.

OK if that doesnt make u understand... F*** the staistics.. just compare the the two lineups and decide. and also i guess u dont care a flying F*$% about one day cricket is becuase england does not exist in ODI's..they are simply crap at ODI's. and if they were no- 3 in ODI's guess u would say that u dont give a flying F*** about test cricket ??? (oh... and cool down)
first off..I dont support England...but I know a good test team when I see one....I dont need cricinfo to show me that, however it is useful to backup what is being said with good hard facts.

And yeah England have a lot of issues with the one day team,and I just dont think their selection policy is working on that front

Ok ..compare the performances of the England and Sri Lankan players...i would take a guess that most of the England players on an individual basis have performed better than most SRi Lankan players over the last 2 years (bar Murali i would assume)..and that is one of the reasons why England have won 14 times in tests compared to 1 time for SL

The arguement wasnt whether Sri Lanka was overrated, you brought up the fact that you thought England were overrated (and players like Vaughan and Thorpe).

In general,England have a much better batting line up,and a much better pace attack..the one area which SL have it over England is in the Murali vs Giles bit (although Giles is doing his job really well now).

I think most teams around the world would rather face Sri Lanka in a test match than England.

And by the way...i dont need to cool down...

nookie_lk

First Class Debutant
lol.....ok
trescothik vs jayasuriya
vaughn vs Atapattu
straus vs Jayawardena
gareth jones vs sangakkara
giles vs murali (lol)
hoggard vs Vass

i have to agree flintoff and harmison are definitely exellent.
but...just compare the above players stats and u decide who's better....

Swervy

International Captain
nookie_lk said:
lol.....ok
trescothik vs jayasuriya
vaughn vs Atapattu
straus vs Jayawardena
gareth jones vs sangakkara
giles vs murali (lol)
hoggard vs Vass

i have to agree flintoff and harmison are definitely exellent.
but...just compare the above players stats and u decide who's better....
i think it has been said before on this forum that these types of comparisons just dont work.

Hoggard isnt Englands main strike bowler for a start...vaughan isnt opening anymore..strauss hasnt really had time to prove himself , neither has Jones.

I just dont know what you are gettiing at....England are winning, Sri Lanka arent...whats the issue...the England team are better

nookie_lk

First Class Debutant
Swervy said:
i think it has been said before on this forum that these types of comparisons just dont work.

Hoggard isnt Englands main strike bowler for a start...vaughan isnt opening anymore..strauss hasnt really had time to prove himself , neither has Jones.

I just dont know what you are gettiing at....England are winning, Sri Lanka arent...whats the issue...the England team are better

England must be winning recently but....please try to think about the comment u made saying sri lankan players are OVERRATED ! simple as that !!!
peace

Swervy

International Captain
nookie_lk said:
England must be winning recently but....please try to think about the comment u made saying sri lankan players are OVERRATED ! simple as that !!!
peace
see you have just made it up that I said they were overrated..i never said that, I am just reacting to your comments that England are overrated, when in all probability you are just saying that coz England are being very successful and you probably havent really been watching them play..or if you have watched them, you have a very blinkered view on the game

Swervy

International Captain
nookie_lk said:
well...i guess i'm arguing with the wrong person...my mistake. anyway.......
you ceratinly are argueing with the wrong person, coz you wont get far with me with some of the rubbish you are coming up with :D

nookie_lk

First Class Debutant
Swervy said:
you ceratinly are argueing with the wrong person, coz you wont get far with me with some of the rubbish you are coming up with :D
jees mate ur just another lame English supporter who is talking big just becuase england is on top at the moment...i guess u guys wont have much chances to talk good about england...go ahead and knock ur self out !!! feel sorry for people like u.