• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Most Overrated Player?

Tom Halsey

International Coach
tooextracool said:
a) err the 309 with the several catches dropped off him.....the innings in australia where several of his mis hits somehow managed to pierce the fielders.....

b) you do mean overrated dont you?

c) yes i know you can only bat what you are given to bat on....but its strange how someone could fail so miserably in the first 3 tests in the WI and then suddenly score on the flattest wicket on the 4th. then again hes failed twice against australia and struggled against SA outside the oval. i for one was extremely surprised that the wickets this summer have been this flat but i really think that trescos real test will be in the next 2 series,against SA and australia.....
a) An innings of 309 is so long, that to go chanceless I doubt Bradman could have done. A couple of chances are always going to occur.

b) Sorry, yes I do.

c) So, if he did score runs in those mentioned sries, he wouldn't be overrated anymore?

Langeveldt

Soutie
nookie_lk said:
laxman, kaif, trescothick, steve waugh, bret lee, lehman(totally crap), graig macmillan(nz), sehvag, boeta dippena, boje,
Hahah nice one.. I needed a laugh for the evening mate :)

Steve Waugh? Yeah.. absolute ****e.. Lehmann? Couldnt score a run for toffee :)

EnglishRose

School Boy/Girl Captain
Langeveldt said:
Hahah nice one.. I needed a laugh for the evening mate :)

Steve Waugh? Yeah.. absolute ****e.. Lehmann? Couldnt score a run for toffee :)

Darryl Tuffey, Chris Martin, Partiv Patel, Mohammad Sami, Simon Jones, Makhaya Ntini and Andre Nel are all overrated.

delkap

State Vice-Captain
sehwag largely because of how lucky hes been in his short test career to date, and his recent one day performances do show that he isnt as good as hes made out to be.
Sehwag has proved he is a class act: Test 100s in Saf, Eng, Aus, Pak are not just coincidences... He is an attacking player and plays naturally, ofcourse he will give a few chances.. who doesn't ? But how many people get 300+ ??

I am sure within few years Sehwag will mature too, and stop playing extravagant shots.. Just as Sachin matured..

But there is no way he is over-rated.. Bowlers fear him because they know they could be blasted by him in no time... BTW if you hv seen his defence.. he can be brilliant when he wants it to be.. It's similar to wht u said abt Flintoff and his problems with temperament in earlier threads.. Sehwag may not be an orthodox player.. but he sure is a brilliant player..

Sudeep

International Captain
delkap said:
Sehwag has proved he is a class act: Test 100s in Saf, Eng, Aus, Pak are not just coincidences... He is an attacking player and plays naturally, ofcourse he will give a few chances.. who doesn't ? But how many people get 300+ ??

I am sure within few years Sehwag will mature too, and stop playing extravagant shots.. Just as Sachin matured..

But there is no way he is over-rated.. Bowlers fear him because they know they could be blasted by him in no time... BTW if you hv seen his defence.. he can be brilliant when he wants it to be.. It's similar to wht u said abt Flintoff and his problems with temperament in earlier threads.. Sehwag may not be an orthodox player.. but he sure is a brilliant player..
Sachin was mature enough to start with, unlike Sehwag.

delkap

State Vice-Captain
Sudeep said:
Sachin was mature enough to start with, unlike Sehwag.
well true.. but now he gives even more importance to his wkt.. which is good to see from a person playing for 15 years..
I'm just saying Sehwag has a role to play atm which involves in him going for broke after the bowlers.. he'll soon learn to value his wkt, and will be one of the best batsman of all times.. I'll predict him to reach 10,000 runs ODI club :D (I predicted that more than a year ago.. just stating it now)

Craig

World Traveller
EnglishRose said:
Darryl Tuffey, Chris Martin, Partiv Patel, Mohammad Sami, Simon Jones, Makhaya Ntini and Andre Nel are all overrated.
Nel has had one good series, Ntini he is good enough, Mohammad Sami yes, Tuffey and Martin didn't have great tours of England but Tuffey was carrying an injury, Patel has potential and will improve as 'keeper, Simon Jones probably.

tooextracool

International Coach
Tom Halsey said:
a) An innings of 309 is so long, that to go chanceless I doubt Bradman could have done. A couple of chances are always going to occur.
there were a lot more than 'couple of chances' i can assure you....sehwag was dropped twice by saqlain,once by sami, and then again in slip by taufeeq umar or farhat, then a run out opportunity that was missed are the ones that i remember clearly. its interesting how someone who accuses me of not watching the cricket comes up with an absurd statement like that.

Tom Halsey said:
c) So, if he did score runs in those mentioned sries, he wouldn't be overrated anymore?
yes he wouldnt.....

Craig

World Traveller
tooextracool said:
there were a lot more than 'couple of chances' i can assure you....sehwag was dropped twice by saqlain,once by sami, and then again in slip by taufeeq umar or farhat, then a run out opportunity that was missed are the ones that i remember clearly. its interesting how someone who accuses me of not watching the cricket comes up with an absurd statement like that.
I would have to agree.

And some of them were fairly easy ones that he was dropped on.

It is amazing how many chances he gives.

Langeveldt

Soutie
EnglishRose said:
I don't think Ntini is over rated at all.. Andre Nel? Well the jury is still out, he has had one excellent series, and one poor one.. I don't think he is rated that much anyway by cricket fans..
His treatment of Lara and co was Harmisonesque, but I heard how poor he was in NZ.. Maybe Harmison in reverse?

Patel is insanely over rated, I fail to see how a country that is the best in the world at producing outstanding batsmen has Patel opening the innings! Whether it is politics or some other wrangling...

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Alexkumar1 said:
Tendulkar and VVS laxman.
I agree with Tendulkar, but I think that Laxman is the most underrated of the indian betsmen(apart from Patel). I think the whole Sri Lankan team is overrated.

Swervy

International Captain
steds said:
I agree with Tendulkar, but I think that Laxman is the most underrated of the indian betsmen(apart from Patel). I think the whole Sri Lankan team is overrated.
what, even Murali????

Deja moo

International Captain
I think Laxman is over rated ,especially in OD cricket .

Patel is over rated in all cricket.

Nehra is over rated by the selectors .

Sehwag is neither over nor underrated .I think everyone knows him just right - as an unpredictable batsman ,perhaps with a test average 10 runs higher than he deserves in his career till now .

Kaif the batsman is over rated ( IMO , he is being sacrificed at 7 , he has always done a good job whenever he has been sent in at no 4....)

The Indian team needs to really rethink the batting order.....Kaif/badani need to be played at no4.....they are guys who will run the singles hard ,which is what is required at that spot anyway .

Sachin seems to be under the impression that he is now the sheet-anchor of the Indian team , Ganguly seems to think that he is the sheet anchor of the Indian team , Rahul Dravid has always been the anchor of the team.

No wonder the Indian team is floundering.....we have 3 guys who think they are the anchor of the team ! I feel Dravid should be left with that job , Sachin should cut out the defensive craP . Ganguly should bat 6 or not at all .

tooextracool

International Coach
Deja moo said:
I think Laxman is over rated ,especially in OD cricket .
i dont think laxman is overrated, hes been out with injury for a while and in his last innings before injury he scored 107 in what was pretty much a final against pakistan. hes had 1 bad innings since then and already everyone are onto him for no reason whatsoever especially considering that half the other players didnt even make it into double figures in that game.

nookie_lk

First Class Debutant
steds said:
maybe not murali. all the rest, then.
i think the most overated team is definitely England ...specially graham thrope and micheal vaugn(maybe not flintoff)... and ofcourse all the bowlers.