• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Most Overrated Player?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
You never know Craig - what he was saying about Harmison at the time did have some merit, it was just that he refused to change his views when Harmison started to perform better.

Scallywag

Banned
marc71178 said:
And any reason for that or just the fact he has fun against the Australian top order in ODI's?
You intention is clear.
So yeah I think Bichel who has to play second fiddle to 4 bowlers shows just as much if not more talent than Bond who gets the new ball and fast tracks.
I never realy like to compare any players because the value of a player is to the team and we sometimes dont see the influence a player can have on his team mates. 10 of Bonds 27 games are against Bangers, Zim and non test playing nations and in my books he just hasnt played enough games to rate.

Bond 27 ODI games
Bichel 67 ODI games

Both Bichel and Bond have taken 12 wickets @ 9 runs Against ENGLAND.

SA Bichel 22@31
SA Bond 8@34

WI Bichel 7@48
WI Bond 2@93

8-)

tooextracool

International Coach
Scallywag said:
You intention is clear.
So yeah I think Bichel who has to play second fiddle to 4 bowlers shows just as much if not more talent than Bond who gets the new ball and fast tracks.
I never realy like to compare any players because the value of a player is to the team and we sometimes dont see the influence a player can have on his team mates. 10 of Bonds 27 games are against Bangers, Zim and non test playing nations and in my books he just hasnt played enough games to rate.

Bond 27 ODI games
Bichel 67 ODI games

SA Bichel 22@31
SA Bond 8@34

WI Bichel 7@48
WI Bond 2@93

8-)
1) shane bond has never played against england
2)you've missed out his average against australia which is 10.45, as well as india which stands at 21.45 and SL at 22

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Scallywag said:
Bond 27 ODI games
Bichel 67 ODI games

SA Bichel 22@31
SA Bond 8@34

WI Bichel 7@48
WI Bond 2@93

8-)
Aus Bond 22 @ 10.45 (6 games)
NZ Bichel 8 @ 46.62 (11 games)

And to tie Bichel's tally, Bond needs 25 or 26 wickets in 40 games...

8-)

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
Aus Bond 22 @ 10.45 (6 games)
NZ Bichel 8 @ 46.62 (11 games)

And to tie Bichel's tally, Bond needs 25 or 26 wickets in 40 games...

8-)
Bichel it is then
(oh, sorry. Thought we were comparing him against Harmison)

PY

International Coach
Scallywag said:
Bond 27 ODI games
Bichel 67 ODI games

SA Bichel 22@31
SA Bond 8@34

WI Bichel 7@48
WI Bond 2@93
Here we have a fine species of statisticus gratuitous. :dry:

Langeveldt

Soutie
SJS said:
South Africa - Adam

West Indies - Entire bowling line up :)

England - Everyone except Thorpe :D

Zimbabwe and Bangladesh - All are over rated by ICC
Adams might be over rated, but at least give him a full name
:D

England - Er.. good one...

West Indies - Edwards, Best.. Hot prospects to be honest.. And they arent rated that much anyway yet...

Scallywag

Banned
PY said:
Here we have a fine species of statisticus gratuitous. :dry:
I would really like to know what you mean PY.

Marc71178 only refered to Bond's record against Australia, I expanded that to four teams to include WI, SA and England so as you can see I would think your comment is directed at marc71178, but I know you have directed it at me so I can only assume that you think a record against one country is more representitive than four. Or it could be just a swipe at me which is fine because this is a swipe at you.

8-)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Scallywag said:
Marc71178 only refered to Bond's record against Australia

Yes, because that is one of reasons he is so highly rated.

For you to compare him with Bichel you need to use all the opponents played, not just 2 that Bichel's done better against and one he's done level against.

And you've only used 2 comparisons, as Bond hasn't even played England (and Bichel doesn't average 9)

tooextracool

International Coach
Scallywag said:
I would really like to know what you mean PY.

Marc71178 only refered to Bond's record against Australia, I expanded that to four teams to include WI, SA and England so as you can see I would think your comment is directed at marc71178, but I know you have directed it at me so I can only assume that you think a record against one country is more representitive than four. Or it could be just a swipe at me which is fine because this is a swipe at you.

8-)
1) bond has never played against england
2)you missed out SL and india too, 2 other teams that bond has good averages against
2) what is with these people...when harmison bowls well against the WI they say lets see him take 41 wickets against australia. when bond does well against the australia they look at his record against the WI?

PY

International Coach
Scallywag said:
Or it could be just a swipe at me which is fine because this is a swipe at you.
Why thank you very much, I always enjoy people taking a swing for me. I'd like to think that I'm grown up enough not to take a swipe at someone who I don't know, I've never met, I'm never going to meet because to be quite honest, that would be sad. I'd like to think that no-one would because at best, it is bad manners.

Scallywag said:
Marc71178 only refered to Bond's record against Australia, I expanded that to four teams to include WI, SA and England so as you can see I would think your comment is directed at marc71178, but I know you have directed it at me so I can only assume that you think a record against one country is more representitive than four.
The actual definition of what I said is 'unnecessary statistics'. The one's you quote are 3 more teams indeed, but you have chosen which teams to include and as TEC says Bond's record is a lot better against India and Sri Lanka. I guess it is my way of saying that you use statistics and you have manipulated those stats to heavily favour your own argument.

You aren't the first and you won't be the last but it still doesn't stop me from being annoyed by it. :@

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Have you ever seen Edwards and Best?
Had the pleasure of seeing them once again this weekend. Bangladesh (of all sides) scored their highest ever test score and their number nine scored a hundred. He hadnt even scored a fifty till then in his career.

Edwards and Best, Zilch for 140 PLUS !!

Oh yes they are great bowlers and Edwards is the world's greatest outfield
8-)

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
I have seen Edwards in action against SL and he was very good when he started. He followed that up with a good show against Zimbabwe and got a lot of wickets there. His performance against the South Africans- probably the strongest team in home conditions- was awful, but he did a lot better back hoem against the English. Even Best, with a lot of pace and aggression, is a good bowler, and far better than the most experienced West Indian quicks who are picked well past their 'best before' date! That said, the fielders did not help them much, did they?

tooextracool

International Coach
SJS said:
Had the pleasure of seeing them once again this weekend. Bangladesh (of all sides) scored their highest ever test score and their number nine scored a hundred. He hadnt even scored a fifty till then in his career.

Edwards and Best, Zilch for 140 PLUS !!

Oh yes they are great bowlers and Edwards is the world's greatest outfield
8-)
were you saying the same thing about the indian bowlers when b'desh scored 400 on debut against india?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
tooextracool said:
were you saying the same thing about the indian bowlers when b'desh scored 400 on debut against india?
Yes. I think For the last five years or more, India has had the lousiest bowling attack of all the major test playing countries in the world. Even today, we may talk a lot about Irfan and Balaji, but we have a pretty modest attack.

My Indian friends will scream but I think even Kumble is not the great bowler we would like to proclaim him to be. He is very good I agree but if he wants us to score 500 runs every time before he can be effective outside of India, it doesnt speak much of him.

Apologies..Indian friends..but thats what I have always believed.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
I think even Kumble is not the great bowler we would like to proclaim him to be.
He's not great, but he can be very effective when he is used as an attacking bowler and has a spin partner at the other end. He can be competitive. If he is the lone spinner, he's not going to be of any use. Come to think of it, all Indian pace bowlers except Kapil Dev and his medium-pace gang are over-rated.