• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ashwin vs Kumble

Majestic

U19 Vice-Captain
hardly. there are a few turners here and there but most are pretty good.

the only raging turners since 2015 i would say are

2015 SA 1st and 3rd
2017 Aus 1st and 2nd
2021 Eng 3rd which was more due to the ball
2023 Aus 2nd and 3rd

That's 7 in a decade.

Others are standard Indian pitches, some even flat where Indian batsmen have racked runs plenty.

2016 NZ, 2016 Eng, 2019 SA, 2021 NZ, 2024 Eng got very fair pitches.
2023 think only 3rd test was bad, surprisingly India lost that in Indore.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yeah of that list by PL, I would say the tracks against RSA in 2015, Pune in 2017 and Indore in 2023 were the only poor pitches we have dished out. 4 or 5 tracks in almost 10 years is pretty normal IMO.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
I assume this is tongue in cheek?
you have to watch those series in Eng and SA to know the truth behind that line. Only Australia among SENA teams have been producing fair pitches conducive to both pace and spin. I will agree that I am wrong when the opposition spinner takes more wickets than Ashwin or Jadeja in any test in those Eng/SA/NZ series.

Majestic

U19 Vice-Captain
Yeah of that list by PL, I would say the tracks against RSA in 2015, Pune in 2017 and Indore in 2023 were the only poor pitches we have dished out. 4 or 5 tracks in almost 10 years is pretty normal IMO.
In terms of poor pitches, I think Mohali 2015 was a rank turner, not necessarily poor. So, Nagpur 2015, Pune 2017 and Indore 2023 were the really poor ones. Maybe include Ahmedabad 2021 vs England ( pink ball test) as well.

Xix2565

International Regular
you have to watch those series in Eng and SA to know the truth behind that line. Only Australia among SENA teams have been producing fair pitches conducive to both pace and spin. I will agree that I am wrong when the opposition spinner takes more wickets than Ashwin or Jadeja in any test in those Eng/SA/NZ series.
Australia don't make fair pitches either. Spinners average well over 40 since 2015. The lowest in a series they've averaged is 30.

Xix2565

International Regular
In terms of poor pitches, I think Mohali 2015 was a rank turner, not necessarily poor. So, Nagpur 2015, Pune 2017 and Indore 2023 were the really poor ones. Maybe include Ahmedabad 2021 vs England ( pink ball test) as well.
One question I have is what about pitches like 2021 England Chennai 1st Test? Are they bad pitches, and if so why/why not?

Majestic

U19 Vice-Captain
One question I have is what about pitches like 2021 England Chennai 1st Test? Are they bad pitches, and if so why/why not?
Poor pitches are those where either scoring runs is almost impossible or picking wickets is almost impossible.

In Chennai 1st test, Root got 200 but nobody else hit a ton. The game had a result, so it is a good pitch. No point discussing whatsoever.

capt_Luffy

International Captain
Poor pitches are those where either scoring runs is almost impossible or picking wickets is almost impossible.

In Chennai 1st test, Root got 200 but nobody else hit a ton. The game had a result, so it is a good pitch. No point discussing whatsoever.
I as well don't think the Chennai pitch was poor, but rating pitches like that does raises some questions. Like, was the SA pitch of the 2nd Test of the last tour not poor since Markram got a ton?

Xix2565

International Regular
A lot of bad pitches end in a decisive result, assuming draws don't count as a result. It can't be as simple as this, else Pune 2017 is a fine pitch because Smith made a 100.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I rated the Chennai 1st test pitch the worst of that England series in 2021. Simply because it loaded the game way too heavily to the side winning the toss. IMO, game would have been done by day 3/4 had India won the toss.

Majestic

U19 Vice-Captain
I as well don't think the Chennai pitch was poor, but rating pitches like that does raises some questions. Like, was the SA pitch of the 2nd Test of the last tour not poor since Markram got a ton?
I mean it was not about Root getting a double ton. Even if he didn't, it was a typical subcontinent wicket. Very good for batting on day 1 and day 2 and it detoriated from day 3 onwards. Toss played a role but I won't call it a poor pitch.

Majestic

U19 Vice-Captain
A lot of bad pitches end in a decisive result, assuming draws don't count as a result. It can't be as simple as this, else Pune 2017 is a fine pitch because Smith made a 100.
Smith got a lot of chances actually to get a 100. And even on a bad pitch, there could be a chance that a batter takes the momentum in favour in a low scoring game after catches being dropped and frustrates the bowler with a game changing knock.

Bolo.

International Captain
Screenshot_2024-09-24-16-37-04-530_com.android.chrome-edit.jpg
Screenshot_2024-09-24-16-35-00-864_com.android.chrome-edit.jpg
Those dastardly South Africans, never giving the quicks a chance. :p

Expecting a team to outperform the world's best spinners, while bowling at the world's best players of spin is not a good measure of if a ground turns.

Xix2565

International Regular
Smith got a lot of chances actually to get a 100. And even on a bad pitch, there could be a chance that a batter takes the momentum in favour in a low scoring game after catches being dropped and frustrates the bowler with a game changing knock.
That shouldn't matter right? It should be about how the ball behaves more than if a player does well. Pune/Cape Town/Johannesburg/etc were still bad pitches.