• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Sri Lanka in New Zealand 2022/23

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
Thanks @Shady Slim. That is my point. And I don’t want to oversell it. And I don’t think any bias is conscious. It is just that the NZ selectors are so conservative that their default is to pick the familiar. And that is to the detriment of the team and the many talented players who are not in the right club and get ****ed around as a result. But I will leave off the debate there.
You just have to look at some of Ross Taylor's experiences from his book. Hesson to him out of nowhere: "My cleaner's Samoan ... she's nice"

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
I’ve spent the last hour cleaning out the outlet pipe from the bathroom sink of hair, scum and other filth rather than follow this test.

I shudder to think what thankless tasks I’ll have to find to do if Kuggeleijn gets selected for the next Test.
I headed to Fraser Park with some mates and socked a few dingers ... was a lot of fun tbh.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Taylor didn't have a great last year either so it's pretty close to nowt from the position since the WTC win.

View attachment 35052
Holy ****, this is dire. They can't keep going to Nicholls, he's never been a 4 (averages 21 there from 16 innings as opposed to nigh on 40 at No.5). So who does it become, Phillips? Because I don't think they can pick Young after taking a flamethrower to his career. And is GP a Test No.4? I have significant doubts, even if #intent.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I really don't want Phillips to waste time bowling. He's not going to get good imo and it takes away valuable batting practice.

He's a ****ing gun batsman, just let him bat.
Nah, I agree mostly with this - especially if he is going to bat 4. That's such an imperative position that requires your whole focus, especially if you're new to it (as Phillips would/will be at Test level). I have no issue if he bowls on the odd occasion, but he's not a batting all-rounder. He's not bowling 20-30 overs as a frontline spinner at any time.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Given the Macewell thing has been a complete failure, I'd now pick Ravindra, push Conway down to four which fixes both the 20 bat, 45 ball Macewell issue + the woeful output at 4. That still allows an extra batsman (Phillips) to bat 6, which is where he should come in, not 4. And I can still pick my best spinner (Sodhi), which I'd do 99 times out of 100 unless it's a green rager to end all ragers. Plenty of bowling options, very strong (on paper) top 7, who I expect to score the bulk of the runs and there's still enough quality in the tail to expect output from them, too.

So Latham Ravindra Kane Conway Mitchell Phillips Blundell Henry Sodhi Southee Tickner/seamer

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Could mcconchie be a decent stopgap spinning all-rounder option at 7? In good batting form atm.
I hope this doesn't come off anything other than a genuine, interested enquiry...but what would be the mission/purpose of a stop gap option right now?