• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Sri Lanka in New Zealand 2022/23

Binkley

U19 Captain
Don't casually demonise white players by saying they're just another white player. That is also racist.
I guess you could read my post as demonising Bracewell, but it is the selectors I am trying to aim at. If Bracewell plays, I hope he does well - just like I do with all the members of the current line-up. But it is fundamentally not right that he gets a shot when players like Ravindra, Sodhi, Patel, Chapman and Phillips (because he is Christian and weird and therefore also doesn’t fit the box) don’t get nearly the same opportunities.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I guess you could read my post as demonising Bracewell, but it is the selectors I am trying to aim at. If Bracewell plays, I hope he does well - just like I do with all the members of the current line-up. But it is fundamentally not right that he gets a shot when players like Ravindra, Sodhi, Patel, Chapman and Phillips (because he is Christian and weird and therefore also doesn’t fit the box) don’t get nearly the same opportunities.
You're really drawing a long bow here, as are Shady's examples (the fact that Hameed resembled a duck in a shooting alley in the Ashes and is a grinder compared to Crawley's fluency when going and the fact he obviously fits in with McCullum's ideals at the moment are important).

This kind of selection favouritism and conservatism is hardly new and it's not restricted to teams (or cultures in general) of any physical traits. Look at the West Indies the obvious favouritism by Haynes and Brathwaite towards mates and Bajans in general.

ashley bach

Cricketer Of The Year
Absolutely crucial for both teams this last 45 mins before stumps. Whoever wins this period may well dictate the game tomorrow.

the big bambino

International Captain
You're really drawing a long bow here, as are Shady's examples (the fact that Hameed resembled a duck in a shooting alley in the Ashes and is a grinder compared to Crawley's fluency when going and the fact he obviously fits in with McCullum's ideals at the moment are important).

This kind of selection favouritism and conservatism is hardly new and it's not restricted to teams (or cultures in general) of any physical traits. Look at the West Indies the obvious favouritism by Haynes and Brathwaite towards mates and Bajans in general.
I think the supposed preference of Bancroft and Harris is more west Australian than white Australian otherwise Usman would still be cooling his heels. The observation that Jason Sangha keeps getting gigs while others have to leave the state to get a game suggests the bias is more parochial than racial.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think the supposed preference of Bancroft and Harris is more west Australian than white Australian otherwise Usman would still be cooling his heels. The observation that Jason Sangha keeps getting gigs while others have to leave the state to get a game suggests the bias is more parochial than racial.
Khawaja was supposed to be a no. 3 and was competing against potential no.3s. Also there's not much in his play to immediately suggest why he should be a better opener than no.3. Don't think he was opening for Queensland either. I think Langer typecast players the way he wanted. We had Finch opening in tests just because he does it in ODIs, even though his First Class success had come at 5. I certainly thought Khawaja should have been opening at the time after his centuries as makeshift opener against SA and Pakistan.

I don't think WA bias from Langer was responsible for Harris - there was no love lost between Harris and Langer about the latter's move to Vic. But I think he and Hohns were certainly biased towards WA players. In any case I don't think Khawaja was treated as badly as Maxwell in that period - remember Langer told him not to go for a County gig because he would be going on an A tour to India, then he wasn't selected, which pretty much finished his first-class career.

Last edited:

ashley bach

Cricketer Of The Year
It's actually quite painful watching Kane at the start of his innings these days, feels like it's all or nothing with him now.