• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Sri Lanka in New Zealand 2022/23

jcas0167

International Debutant
Dougie isn’t a terrible pick based on recent form, but he is a terrible pick based on the fact that he is yet another white, 30-something with a very average first-class record (and worse test record) and the right connections. As someone said earlier, “his face fits”. And I want to see some different faces please and thank you.
You're complaining that Bracewell is white? **** off you racist ****.

thierry henry

International Coach
Dhananjaya must’ve played 15 false strokes out of 35 balls faced and McMillan is saying how he ‘makes batting look easy’ and has ‘got to 25 comfortably’. Literally just saying anything.

Shady Slim

International Coach
You're complaining that Bracewell is white? **** off you racist ****.
sorry if i'm talking out of turn but @Binkley's point is more about a grievance that i happen to agree with being that mediocre white blokes seem to get a lot of chances.

haseeb hameed and zak crawley have both been immensely disappointing for the poms. but crawley's a private school boy of good stock so keeps getting selected despite obviously sucking. if not for a timely injury to travis head during the ashes, marcus harris or cam bancroft would be opening the batting for australia right now and not usman. and so it goes...

Flem274*

123/5
We did carry Ish Sodhi for at least 10 tests.

There's a lot of talented kids of all backgrounds not getting a look in right now. The issue is more the establishment are showing a preference for long FC careers and perhaps the correct last name or connection.

Doug Bracewell is far from the worst selection of this squad let alone the past 12 months however. He's probably CD's MVP and is taking cheap poles and scoring vital runs at #7.

thundaboult

International Debutant
Hmm, Dougeh...

On the one hand, he deserves to be in the side more than ****ing Kuggeleijn and also current Wagner and arguably Tickner.

On the other hand, a bit like Santner imo, we know what his bowling provides at test level and it's not quite test standard. It probably won't be terrible, but it also won't provide any kind of wicket-taking edge to actually win matches. So given that, can he contribute enough with the bat to deserve a spot as this semi-allrounder thing that CDG invented? We already have Macewell trying to do that so I'm not sure we need another, it risks weakening the bowling too much.

Australia has the 'no more than one Victorian in the side' rule, I think NZ might need the 'no more than one Bracewell in the side' rule tbh.

With Dacewell, Duffy and Shipley imo as the three domestix bowlers pushing for a spot that are actually fit, I would have gone Shipley.
agreed with the doug bracewell part, just more bits and pieces crap

Binkley

U19 Captain
Thanks @Shady Slim. That is my point. And I don’t want to oversell it. And I don’t think any bias is conscious. It is just that the NZ selectors are so conservative that their default is to pick the familiar. And that is to the detriment of the team and the many talented players who are not in the right club and get ****ed around as a result. But I will leave off the debate there.

Shady Slim

International Coach
We did carry Ish Sodhi for at least 10 tests.

There's a lot of talented kids of all backgrounds not getting a look in right now. The issue is more the establishment are showing a preference for long FC careers and perhaps the correct last name or connection.

Doug Bracewell is far from the worst selection of this squad let alone the past 12 months however. He's probably CD's MVP and is taking cheap poles and scoring vital runs at #7.
yeah i don't think the nz selectors are as explicitly exclusionary as those in england, say, but it's sort of that second line exclusion where the conservative mindset is to go with the "safe" name and the safe names are always marsh and bracewell not malhotra or bilal right?

Shady Slim

International Coach
yeah i don't think the nz selectors are as explicitly exclusionary as those in england, say, but it's sort of that second line exclusion where the conservative mindset is to go with the "safe" name and the safe names are always marsh and bracewell not malhotra or bilal right?
in many ways jason sangha is breaking barriers by being so vociferously mid and still getting picked despite being not a white fella