• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Sri Lanka in New Zealand 2022/23

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I’ve spent the last hour cleaning out the outlet pipe from the bathroom sink of hair, scum and other filth rather than follow this test.

I shudder to think what thankless tasks I’ll have to find to do if Kuggeleijn gets selected for the next Test.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
We did carry Ish Sodhi for at least 10 tests.

There's a lot of talented kids of all backgrounds not getting a look in right now. The issue is more the establishment are showing a preference for long FC careers and perhaps the correct last name or connection.

Doug Bracewell is far from the worst selection of this squad let alone the past 12 months however. He's probably CD's MVP and is taking cheap poles and scoring vital runs at #7.
Ollie White call up imminent tbh.

Flem274*

123/5
yeah i don't think the nz selectors are as explicitly exclusionary as those in england, say, but it's sort of that second line exclusion where the conservative mindset is to go with the "safe" name and the safe names are always marsh and bracewell not malhotra or bilal right?
Well yeah, but it's not just those quite different names. Our lot cbf picking the name "Smith" ffs (yes he's injured but he should have been in the England squad if they want a bowling allrounder).

I also think people involved with NZC who are of a certain era have some...we'll call them preconceived ideas rather than straight inferiority complex and cowardice to be nice. John Bracewell on the radio yesterday said we should avoid the allure of outright pace and pick skilled bowlers, especially since that's what NZ are good at, and that Shane Bond was an exception. "Hadlee was great once he became more skilled, so that's what we should be aiming for. Southee is the same" to paraphrase.

It's a bit disappointing to hear from Bracewell since he was a bit of a maverick coach. I agree with a lot of his point, but equally we can't be England 2013 - 2021 and pick 3 right arm medium fast outswing bowlers and expect to win. Attacks need variety.

In general I think the 80s and 90s crowd have a very different idea of what a New Zealand cricket team should be to the younger crowd. They're the sort of people who would tell Glenn Phillips to grow up and stop being so weird if he wants to play test cricket.

ashley bach

Cricketer Of The Year
We did carry Ish Sodhi for at least 10 tests.
Speaking of the devil I literally bumped into him today in Rangiora of all places. He certainly knows where to get the best coffee.
He had a red cap as did his teammates so assuming he was playing today, does he play for Canterbury?
Would of loved to chat about his fielding skills but really wanted to get home for the Black caps.

jcas0167

International Debutant
Man. If you think I am racist, wait until you see the makeup of this current New Zealand team.
Presumably you think the make-up of the Sri Lankan team is racist too? What a toxic bigoted attitude. Sports teams can only pick who is available. If there is someone you feel is being excluded on the basis of their race that *would* be racist. Don't casually demonise white players by saying they're just another white player. That is also racist.

anil1405

International Captain
Yeah bowl sweet dollies to the guy who is always in your face with his aggression while bowling.

thundaboult

International Debutant
Richardson and to a lesser extent Fleming pretty embarrassing in the comm box at the moment, unless you subscribe to the theory that open cheerleading is better than subtle bias
the whole new set of commentators in nz home matches since late 2020 are so bland

glad they got rid of doull tho

should have canned a scotty stevenson or richardson and brought back smithyyyy

Last edited: