• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Sri Lanka in South Africa 2011/12

ganeshran

International Debutant
Well I always thought the quota system was kind of a mystery to even saffers. I have a friend who lives in J'oburg and he reckons at times even the South African fans don't know what the system is actually.
Discussing the quota system openly could lead to a lot of uncomfortable opinions being expressed about a very sensitive topic in SA. I think thats why they keep the whole thing under wraps

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
I tried posting this in the morning before Rudolph ended his test career but one look at the pitch and you knew South Africa were in trouble. No seam movement, check, zero swing, check, turn but no bounce, check.

Dumbest cricket I have seen in a while and this would be the most embarrassing defeat South Africa has suffered since the West Indies took a test of them back in 08. Easy to blame Prince and Bouch, they failed when they needed runs but the top order should be crucified here as they were so ****ing dumb. Dale Steyn hasn't moved a ball once through the air all test, there is no swing apparent, so why the **** is the left hander a problem here? Scary to think de Villiers is South Africa's limited overs captain, there is dumb but what he did took the biscuit.

As said, it should be Rudolph’s last test but Morne will presumably get the chop for Cape Town and Tahir even though I said should get the series, has just got outbowled by Herath, so that should be game over for him. Curator should also get fired for preparing this slow road. What was he doing?

In saying that, house is on South Africa if they need anything under 400. No demons in this wicket but they only bat up until number 5, so if they do it, top order needs to fire. Best hope is for rain and they need more than a day’s worth.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
South Africa will probably win the Cape Town test by runs and then some but even a 2-1 here is a frankly **** result. All well and good saying heads need to roll but 2 biggest prized prats of the innings were the captain and VC and they won't be going anywhere.

ganeshran

International Debutant
Cant SA find a better opener than Rudolph. Was brought in for his FC form but hasnt done anything of note yet.

Cruxdude

International Debutant
Awesome response by Sri Lanka this. Didn't think they had it in them with a weakened bowling lineup to come back. Good on Sam and Welegadara. But really whats with debutants this year?

Rasimione

U19 Captain
I tried posting this in the morning before Rudolph ended his test career but one look at the pitch and you knew South Africa were in trouble. No seam movement, check, zero swing, check, turn but no bounce, check.

Dumbest cricket I have seen in a while and this would be the most embarrassing defeat South Africa has suffered since the West Indies took a test of them back in 08. Easy to blame Prince and Bouch, they failed when they needed runs but the top order should be crucified here as they were so ****ing dumb. Dale Steyn hasn't moved a ball once through the air all test, there is no swing apparent, so why the **** is the left hander a problem here? Scary to think de Villiers is South Africa's limited overs captain, there is dumb but what he did took the biscuit.

As said, it should be Rudolph’s last test but Morne will presumably get the chop for Cape Town and Tahir even though I said should get the series, has just got outbowled by Herath, so that should be game over for him. Curator should also get fired for preparing this slow road. What was he doing?

In saying that, house is on South Africa if they need anything under 400. No demons in this wicket but they only bat up until number 5, so if they do it, top order needs to fire. Best hope is for rain and they need more than a day’s worth.
Surely Rudolf is mentally weak ala Graeme Hick. All the talent but he just cnt hack it. As for Prince the least said the better. People need to be dropped asap. Rudolf, Prince, Boucher and Tahir are not delivering. As for Tahir he can only bowl the googly against tailenders. Surely thats not what he is there for. As for Morkel id would be harsh to drop him, but he needs to deliver and fast.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Surely Rudolf is mentally weak ala Graeme Hick. All the talent but he just cnt hack it. As for Prince the least said the better. People need to be dropped asap. Rudolf, Prince, Boucher and Tahir are not delivering. As for Tahir he can only bowl the googly against tailenders. Surely thats not what he is there for. As for Morkel id would be harsh to drop him, but he needs to deliver and fast.
Seems to be the case. Innings against Aus were frenzied, played a shot a ball, rolls up against Sri Lanka and he looks scared stiff to play a shot in anger and when he does he laps a nothing ball down fine legs throat. 1 more innings to show he can hack it.

Most disappointing aspect of this all is that day 1 was sold out, good crowd again today and this against Sri Lanka. Fans won’t comeback to see **** like this again.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Me too. Hope they can manage at least 123 more to make it a 300 chase.
If Kumar or Mahela don't, I fancy Chandimal and Herath to take the game truly away from South Africa. Hour of both and that will be more than enough runs. Chandimal presumably will or can play as a pure batsman when P Jayawardene is fit?

Briony

International Debutant
You know when there's a test in Durban the opposition is a chance to chalk up a test win. SA just don't cut the mustard at this venue.

The main thing going for them is that they rarely lose in Cape Town so they might hope to avoid the ignominy of a losing, or even drawing a series to a weakish looking Sri Lanka.

SA's batting seems to be a thing of inconsistency and you wouldn't back it in tough circumstances. Time for change one would have to suggest.

Garson007

State Vice-Captain
I always liked Prince, but in the last two series he's been found wanting. Duminy isn't too great either. Time for a debutant. Preferably someone that can hold an end in bowling.

Replace the opener slot with another debutant if they don't like Peterson. Someone who can bowl a few might also be nice, but most of all get someone in there who can see off the ball.

Drop Morkel. Steyn and Philander opening the bowling with De Lange as first change. Alternatively drop Tahir, but then you need two spin part-timers in the team. I don't want a silly situation where Philander or De Lange is kept out.

It's time for AB to show that he can bat when the going is tough. No use coming in at number 5 and not being able to stabilise a collapse. I don't think I've ever seen him score runs when he has had to come in with South Africa 3 down for under a hundred. Kallis is desperately out of form and in the wrong mindset.

Time to make the choice and debut a young'un in Boucher's place. Preferably someone that's been groomed. Oh? Those don't exist?

Move the Boxing day tests elsewhere. Durban has been a bad ground spectator wise as well as for results. Just not enough South African support in Durban.

Last edited:

Briony

International Debutant
Would any of Elgar, du Plessis, Ingram or Rossouw be replacements for Rudolph/Prince?

Kuhn/Vilas/Smit for Boucher?

Crowd looked dismal considering the weather.

Len_SA

Cricket Spectator
Hard to see a way back for SA in this test. Its a cool overcast morning here in Durban today so at least the bowling conditions will be in their favor.
As much as I would like to see SA stage a comeback and win, I think a loss against the Sri Lankans will finally jolt the selectors into dropping batsmen that aren't performing. Prince needs to go asap.

Migara

International Coach
If Kumar or Mahela don't, I fancy Chandimal and Herath to take the game truly away from South Africa. Hour of both and that will be more than enough runs. Chandimal presumably will or can play as a pure batsman when P Jayawardene is fit?
Definietly. He and Silva both will play as batsmen when Sam and Dilshan hangs up their boots after next 2 - 3 seasons. But the real fun will begin only after MJ and Sanga retire.