• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England can beat India "every day of week": Gough

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well, unless he happens to outbowl Warne, Murali and a bunch of other spinners who've toured. Which is not probable and would only happen on a massive dustbowl...and then I'd back the two Indian spinners anyway.
Hey, Michael Clarke did it.. also he was pretty decent in his debut series when he wasn't half the spinner he is now.

I wish they'd just produce those post-apocalyptic wastelands every match.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Nah, forget Udal, this is much worse for India:

I'd back England to win if they somehow came with him as their frontline bowler :p.
Hey, Michael Clarke did it.. also he was pretty decent in his debut series when he wasn't half the spinner he is now.

I wish they'd just produce those post-apocalyptic wastelands every match.
Beat you to it :). And yes, if you come with Michael Clarke as the frontline spinner, I'd back England.

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Ireland to get Test status, Clarke to move there after being dropped for being prima donna. Ireland to beat India in 2017 5-0 in India.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Clarke was a better spinner than what he is now, his back's obviously affected him IMO. Not nearly as much work on the ball.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
And Australia still lost that Test match by the way (the 6/9 one). Vs England, India would win on dustbowls, would likely not be beaten on roads, and have at least a shot on wickets that assist pace (unless the conditions change rapidly). Hence I don't really see England winning a series.

I think SA have a much better chance of beating India in India - because it's possible for Steyn to beat India even on flat pitches and dustbowls. Not necessarily likely but I wouldn't really be extraordinarily surprised.

This current English team, if it toured now, I'd probably bet my savings against an England win. I'd certainly be up for a permanant avatar bet in any case. And considering the horrors that people may inflict on me...it's not something I'd do lightly.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Though I do think that England do have a great chance at being #1.....I don't want anyone to think I'm underrating them on that front.

We're talking about a series vs. and in India. But if you look at overall performances, England could well be #1 in 12-18 months. I'm just saying that whether they are or not, I don't really see them winning in India unless something changes. Hell, Waugh's team was a lot more dominant than England (or anyone) will likely be, and even they couldn't quite do it.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Though I do think that England do have a great chance at being #1.....I don't want anyone to think I'm underrating them on that front.

We're talking about a series vs. and in India. But if you look at overall performances, England could well be #1 in 12-18 months. I'm just saying that whether they are or not, I don't really see them winning in India unless something changes. Hell, Waugh's team was a lot more dominant than England (or anyone) will likely be, and even they couldn't quite do it.
Yeah I agree.

vcs

I don't really get where this level of certainty comes from, India have been horribly unconvincing at home to South Africa, Australia and even New Zealand lately. You were one not-terrible decision away from losing a home test against the team England just crushed.
We're going around in circles as this has all been done to death, but if we're comparing head-to-head results against Australia at home, we've won 4 of the last 6 Tests we've played, which is better than England's corresponding home record against them (you'll notice the lack of innings defeats ;)).

None of which is relevant to any series India and England might happen to play in India in the future of course. What is more relevant is the fact that India have lost two home series in 20 years, one to an ATG Australian side on their 2nd attempt, and another to a damn good SA side with a great bowling lineup who've historically had our number.

Bun

Banned
Loving the excuses like 'India were a bad decision from losing to Australia'. The same could be applied for England's historic 05 campaign.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
We're going around in circles as this has all been done to death, but if we're comparing head-to-head results against Australia at home, we've won 4 of the last 6 Tests we've played, which is better than England's corresponding home record against them (you'll notice the lack of innings defeats ;)).

None of which is relevant to any series India and England might happen to play in India in the future of course. What is more relevant is the fact that India have lost two home series in 20 years, one to an ATG Australian side on their 2nd attempt, and another to a damn good SA side with a great bowling lineup who've historically had our number.
Also notice the lack of innings victories away to Australia, IMO :p

Furball

Evil Scotsman
If England (or any team) is to win in India, it won't be off the back of their spinners.

The reason South Africa have such an outstanding record in India is because they've always had pace bowlers who have been outstanding in India. Donald, Pollock and Steyn all have excellent records in the subcontinent.

Pace wins you matches in India, not spinners. I can never understand non-SC sides automatically picking two spinners - that hands India a massive advantage.

vcs

Also notice the lack of innings victories away to Australia, IMO :p
Haha, yes absolutely. I already said if England come away with a series win here, it will be a huge achievement for them regardless of Australia's disarray.

vcs

If England (or any team) is to win in India, it won't be off the back of their spinners.

The reason South Africa have such an outstanding record in India is because they've always had pace bowlers who have been outstanding in India. Donald, Pollock and Steyn all have excellent records in the subcontinent.

Pace wins you matches in India, not spinners. I can never understand non-SC sides automatically picking two spinners - that hands India a massive advantage.
Couldn't agree more.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Nah, Australia is very much test-class. Anderson just wasn't thaat good. 29 is by no means an outstanding bowling average.
If you can name me a visiting quick bowler that's done any better in Australia in the last 10 years, I'm all ears.

Last edited: