• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England can beat India "every day of week": Gough

Shri

Mr. Glass
Anderson is gun. Would open the bowling for a 2010 XI with Dale Steyn and Khan would bowl first change.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Oh, we're bringing up 06-07 Anderson, fun times
Indeed. :wallbash:

No performance less relevant has ever been spoken about as much.

He was coming in cold off a long injury lay-off with no match fitness and a completely new and remodelled action, which he later canned. He had no business playing and the only reason he was rushed in was the fact that Flintoff (perhaps justifiably) had absolutely no faith in Saj Mahmood. Add in the fact that the team was getting absolutely smashed and it's hardly surprise he didn't bowl well. It's actually a credit to him that he managed to bowl well in Sydney and put in an absolutely superb display in an ODI later on the tour given the circumstances.

I said it before the series (many times) and I think I've been vindicated. It wasn't ridiculous to have concerns about Anderson's potency in Australia, but those who had them should've only done so based on his performances at other times whenever swing wasn't on offer; not the 2006/07 series.

I've made this post about 40 times now; should save it on my laptop and just C+P every time tbh.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
It is to Shoaib's and others' credit (who average around 30) that they had to bowl to a completely different level of batsmen, against whom the same Anderson came a big cropper. Credit to the big Fred too.
Anderson bowling well != Aussie batsmen are crap. These are good batsmen he's bowling to.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Look, I love Anderson but I think it's a bit unfair to shift the goalposts like that.
It's not shifting the goalposts - it's a lot easier to bowl well for 3 games than 4 or 5, as we've seen in the past from Anderson (took no wickets in the last 2 Tests of the 09 Ashes, or the last Test in South Africa).

If Anderson has a good Test in Sydney, then he deserves a lot more credit for bowling well over 5 Tests than the likes of Steyn, who only had 3 Tests.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
LOL, just looked at the list of averages for 2010. Harris's is close to double Swann's. There's 1.5 between Steyn and Anderson.

Really SS, really?

Furball

Evil Scotsman
LOL, just looked at the list of averages for 2010. Harris's is close to double Swann's. There's 1.5 between Steyn and Anderson.

Really SS, really?
Already made that point about 1,000 pages ago:

2010:

Steyn: 11 Tests, 60 wickets @ 21.41, SR 39, 4 5w, 1 10w
Anderson: 12 Tests, 57 wickets @ 22.96, SR 48.7, 3 5w, 1 10w

Swann: 14 Tests, 64 wickets @ 25.96, SR 54, 6 5w, 1 10w
Harris: 10 Tests, 23 wickets @ 50.65, SR 120.3, 0 5w

Last 3 calendar years:

Steyn: 29 Tests, 156 wickets @ 22.36, SR 39.8, 9 5w, 2 10w
Anderson: 36 Tests, 143 wickets @ 28.23, SR 55, 7 5w, 1 10w

Swann: 28 Tests, 126 wickets @ 27.66, SR 56.8, 10 5w, 1 10w
Harris: 27 Tests, 73 wickets @ 42.57, SR 91.3, 2 5w

Steyn's ahead of Anderson, no doubt about that. But Swann is so much better than Harris the difference is laughable - this year he's literally been twice the bowler Harris has been. Anderson-Swann is a better pairing than Steyn-Harris, easily.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Haha, fair enough. Just looking at the end of year lists on cricinfo and it caught my eye.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Indeed. :wallbash:

No performance less relevant has ever been spoken about as much.

He was coming in cold off a long injury lay-off with no match fitness and a completely new and remodelled action, which he later canned. He had no business playing and the only reason he was rushed in was the fact that Flintoff (perhaps justifiably) had absolutely no faith in Saj Mahmood. Add in the fact that the team was getting absolutely smashed and it's hardly surprise he didn't bowl well. It's actually a credit to him that he managed to bowl well in Sydney and put in an absolutely superb display in an ODI later on the tour given the circumstances.

I said it before the series (many times) and I think I've been vindicated. It wasn't ridiculous to have concerns about Anderson's potency in Australia, but those who had them should've only done so based on his performances at other times whenever swing wasn't on offer; not the 2006/07 series.

I've made this post about 40 times now; should save it on my laptop and just C+P every time tbh.
I rated him highly after seeing him demolish Pakistan in the 2003 WC, took him a lot of time to mature I guess.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
It's a bit hard though when no teams actually play more than a three match series against other than England.
Yeah, I know it's not perfect, but if our last series against both Australia and South Africa were only 3 Tests, Jimmy would've been:

Australia: 12 @ 31.50
South Africa: 16 @ 27.31

instead of 12 wickets @ 45 and 16 wickets @ 34

Which is why, IMO, should Anderson have a good game at Sydney and finish with a sub 30 average, it's more impressive than what the likes of Steyn have done. Admittedly it's a bit of goalpost shifting, using some imperfect logic, but there's no guarantee that the likes of Steyn would have been as good had they had a 4 or 5 match series.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Crazy that only we play long series. At least one four-test rubber a year in the home summer, always four minimum against Saffa and five against Oz home and away.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I rated him highly after seeing him demolish Pakistan in the 2003 WC, took him a lot of time to mature I guess.
I've been a big fan of him since I saw him take 1/12 off his 10 overs in an ODI in Australia way back in 2002/03, myself. I think that spell contributed to how hostile I've been toward those saying he had no hope of bowling well to Australia because of an irrelevant performance in 2006/07. He was just a kid back then obviously - clearly wasn't ready but he was fun to watch and you could see something was there. A bit like Steyn in his first Test series - he got hammered and was dropped but the ball he bowled Vaughan with let everyone know he'd probably be back unless he went off the rails.

Protozoan

Cricket Spectator
Wow. Do you have a soul?

Too many mathematical words there for me. How about: using 2 years and (i think?) 7 series as evidence, in which we have gradually improved in every one of them, culminating in a very impressive win/draw in Australia.

There are arguments for and against how well we will do, yes, but simply dismissing perfectly reasonable arguments as nonsense is completely unfair. We don't have to be as mathematically rigid as you are, but we can come up with theories as to how well England may hypothetically do using other things than just 'comparative data' of series wins and losses etc. We can look at the strength of the Indian bowling attack, and from that how important a bowling attack is in winning matches, and many other things.

Saying that the English team has the fewest holes is an argument in debating who will win, yes. Its not the only one but its a reasonable one.

I am, if anything, a heartless monster.

Regardless, it is completely nonsense, unless you provide it with mathematical backing. Predictions based on hunches are fine, even if they are nonsense. It doesn't bother me if such guesses are used to predict the result of a future series. Likewise, it shouldn't bother you if I call out how fallacious those suppositions are.

Statistically, the South African attack has been the most lethal pace attack in the world's recent cricketing history. Steyn's figures, including a poor UAE series still makes him the leader of the pack. Without that series, his record qualifies him to be easily an all time great. And he's done this consistently. His pairing with Morkel makes the world's most lethal partnership, so much so that the synergy gives even Tsotsobe or Kallis wickets.

Saying that the combined English attack is better or even comparable is a farcical born primarily of rose colored glasses, wishful thinking, and little to no merit.

So have your little 'theory'. I could care less what you think, but your guesses are more or less nonsense with little statistical backing. They are fallacious, but don't allow me to burst your bubble. Enjoy the rare win.

Yeah, I know it's not perfect, but if our last series against both Australia and South Africa were only 3 Tests, Jimmy would've been:

Which is why, IMO, should Anderson have a good game at Sydney and finish with a sub 30 average, it's more impressive than what the likes of Steyn have done. Admittedly it's a bit of goalpost shifting, using some imperfect logic, but there's no guarantee that the likes of Steyn would have been as good had they had a 4 or 5 match series.
I like how you disqualify your argument after making it. I agree, the argument is completely imperfect and susceptible to using different sets of criteria to judge bowlers.

But if it helps you sleep better at night...

Last edited:

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
One win in five series you're right, blimey the windies attack of the 80s can only look on in awe....

Burgey

You mean everyone's been doing loads over Anderson and he's averaging 45 this series in the wettest summer we've had in a decade?

Marcuss? Marcuss? I take back the concession I made about him :ph34r:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
You mean everyone's been doing loads over Anderson and he's averaging 45 this series in the wettest summer we've had in a decade?

Marcuss? Marcuss? I take back the concession I made about him :ph34r:
Nah GF was talking about the 2009 series in England. Jimmy's averaging under 30 in the current series.

Burgey

Nah GF was talking about the 2009 series in England. Jimmy's averaging under 30 in the current series.
Well I thought it was a bit odd, as I don't know that we've scored enough runs for any Pommy bowler to average 40 this series :ph34r:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
And Anderson has 57 in 12

WAG
Has bowled really well...but not as well as Zaheer considering the pitches he's had to bowl on.

Really SS, really?
Yup, really. Regardless of the current bowling average, I'd still take Steyn over Anderson and Swann even if Steyn comes with Harris. It's not close for me.

Last edited: