• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Sri Lanka

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Impressed with Prasad. He's shown the pace about him. If there has been the third seamer, we could have seen him getting up to 150k mark, because he would have known he's going to bowl a short spell.
Let's not go overboard - he only consistently broke 140kph in his first spell.

Migara

International Coach
Let's not go overboard - he only consistently broke 140kph in his first spell.
Don't try to cover the obvious. He made it up to 147k in A side tournament in UAE. Now with better fitness and better follow through, he is more pacier. Worried that Sharma was only up to 143k?

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Don't try to cover the obvious. He made it up to 147k in A side tournament in UAE. Now with better fitness and better follow through, he is more pacier.
I felt you were implying that he'd consistently push 150kph if he was played as the third seamer, whereas I am suggesting that if it happens, which I think is unlikely then it will only likely happen in his first spell. Was the A team tournament a OD tournament? I need not tell you that bowlers tend to bowl a good 5kph quicker in OD cricket than unlimited overs cricket.

Worried that Sharma was only up to 143k?
Yes, petrified.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Pace is so overrated by people that it's bordering on the ludicrous. There is a reason why none of the top five best fast bowlers of all time were Thompson-express (McGrath, Marshall, Hadlee, Ambrose, Lillee) for most of their careers. 140kph is enough. Pace helps, but the majority of the time, it ends up being at the exclusion of other things, which is no good.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Pace is so overrated by people that it's bordering on the ludicrous. There is a reason why none of the top five best fast bowlers of all time were Thompson-express (McGrath, Marshall, Hadlee, Ambrose, Lillee) for most of their careers. 140kph is enough. Pace helps, but the majority of the time, it ends up being at the exclusion of other things, which is no good.
True and an often repeated point. Keep in mind that neither of us are encouraging the bowlers to go all out and bowl fast; it is just an interesting talking point.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
marshall was really fast though, maybe not at thommo's level, but he was not medium-fast or fast-medium or whatever, he was consistently genuinely fast and was the fastest bowler in the world at his peak...that said, i agree that pace is overrated....

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
bah! tendulkar back to his inconsistent ways....:@, if he doesn't get out of this slump soon, this last bit of his career will be perceived as hanging on to break lara's record...

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Marshall very often bowled extremely fast.

Ambrose was also very rapid at his peak.

And there are other great fast bowlers to consider. When Waqar was young he was also right up there with the greatest of all time, largely because of his amazing pace. He remained a very good bowler with reduced pace, but he wasn't quite the same.

adharcric

International Coach
Don't understand why people are saying it's completely Sri Lanka's game. Yeah, even 250 is below par but I don't think this is a road and India got some momentum back after that last-wicket stand and the early breakthrough. Of course, it's still advantage Sri Lanka but it's not that one-sided IMO. Prasad had some pace and got a little inward movement but he seems like a one-dimensional bowler. That said, he'll probably be a better option than a 120-kph Vaas once Malinga returns.

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Marshall very often bowled extremely fast.

Ambrose was also very rapid at his peak.

And there are other great fast bowlers to consider. When Waqar was young he was also right up there with the greatest of all time, largely because of his amazing pace. He remained a very good bowler with reduced pace, but he wasn't quite the same.
They both could, but they weren't express in the sense 155k+. Marshall (I would guess was in the mid 140s most of the time), with some spells higher. Again, its impossible to judge by eyesight, so take that with a grain of salt. I could be completely wrong, and I'll have to take the word of those who faced him. Ambrose was in the high 130s a lot. McGrath was between 130-140 most of his career, with around 138-140 earlier, and around 130-135 later on.

Last edited:

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Decent debut by Prasad, but I'm not sure yet if he is the long term option. Though if he stays fit he might provide some decent back up. He has pace, but it is not excessive and not consistently fast. He doesn't have a lot apart from pace and doesn't have a great deal of control at this level. Could improve but not going to go overboard just yet.

Mendis continues to impress.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
I felt you were implying that he'd consistently push 150kph if he was played as the third seamer, whereas I am suggesting that if it happens, which I think is unlikely then it will only likely happen in his first spell. Was the A team tournament a OD tournament? I need not tell you that bowlers tend to bowl a good 5kph quicker in OD cricket than unlimited overs cricket.
FWIW he has been bowling near 150kph in the domestic FC competition as well, only during his first spell though.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Not from my memory, as I haven't seen him much elsewhere it makes me wonder why he gets labeled genuinely fast. Didn't appear much faster than Sreesanth and co.

Sri Lanka getting off to a good start, hope Vaas tons up, that'd be gun.