• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Sri Lanka

Migara

International Coach
The very fact that despite being down 5 down before 25th over for less than 100, Sri Lanka got to 200 shows that there wasn't much in the pitch to moan about. The only thing was Indian new ball bowling was too good for the SL top order. The reason why Sri Lanka got to 200 was because of some Slogging by Thushara aided by a complacent Dhoni who bowled with Yuvi and Rohit, knowing that the match was in the bag. At no point in all the three matches Sri Lanka ever looked dangerous enough of beating India. That is comprehensive.
And how did Indian top order fared when the ball was doing a bit at Dambulla and last ODI as RPS? The difference between two batting line ups are so minimum. Only dfference I see is India had three batsmen in form (Raina, Dhoni and Kohli) where as SL had only two (Mahela and Miramdo). If you analyze the game more carefull you'll see when ball did something Indians did crumble easier than SL. So mate, you'll also have nothing to boast. One toss either way the different had been 4-1 or 2-3 for India.

Migara

International Coach
SL is used to playing on such conditions and it's the visitors who have to adjust, thus it's wouldn't surprise me if many of the SL wins in the past were due to it winning tosses, if it were to be implied that Ind won because it won tosses and that [crediting tosses for Ind wins] takes a lot out of SL wins at home
No and Yes. Dambulla is a totally different wicket. It's not a subcontinet wicket at all. It's like a NZ wicket with extra spin. As expected, both battng line ups crashed there.

The real surprise comes with the RPS. But once more it had this history of difficult in second innings either for batting side (with ample swing) or for fielding side (with dew). This time it was swing. SL have not won more tosses to win more at RPS. In 1996-2000 era, it was due to sheer stability of SL batting revolving on Gurusinghe, de SIlva, Ranatunga, Atapattu and Jayasuriya. Sadly current SL lacks that stability.Having said that, Indian lineup of Sachin, Azhar, Sidhu, Jadeja and Robin Singh, looked much more stable (at least in SL conditions) than the current players as they were able to handle swing and spin better.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Great! Typical whining. Give credit when due. First it was toss, even though the Lankan captain himself said toss was not a factor, (of course he changed his words after the series was lost). Then you say, not under the lights. Tell me, is it a crime that Dhoni won toss? That's what an intellient cap do, try and convert every opportunity into wins, and Dhoni did exactly that. I doubt whether this point would've been raised had it been Sri lanka who won toss and won.
hmm, weren't SL playing at home? if you think that toss was a crucial factor then may be SL owes its victories at home to winning tosses :lol:
Why do Indian fans get so defensive when someone suggests something other than the brilliance of their team played a part in their victory? The stats for teams chasing under lights in Sri Lanka are ridiculously poor, in fact you're twice as likely to win if you win the toss and bat. I'm not a Sri Lanka fan, i don't care who wins an ODI-series between them and India. If they had won the toss, batted first and won, i'd certainly have mentioned it as being a big factor. In teams as closely matched as these two, i think it's what made the difference on the day.

ret

International Debutant
Why do Indian fans get so defensive when someone suggests something other than the brilliance of their team played a part in their victory? The stats for teams chasing under lights in Sri Lanka are ridiculously poor, in fact you're twice as likely to win if you win the toss and bat. I'm not a Sri Lanka fan, i don't care who wins an ODI-series between them and India. If they had won the toss, batted first and won, i'd certainly have mentioned it as being a big factor. In teams as closely matched as these two, i think it's what made the difference on the day.
isn't it obvious that some of us think that Ind would have beaten SL anyways

2ndly, ODIs have been played in SL since ages, so whats the point in saying that XYZ team won because of the toss when you probably didn't say that for a team winning in SL the past

lastly, if you don't care then why bother posting your opinion on this thread :laugh: .... and if you have taken the trouble to post here despite not caring then why should anyone give his 2 cents to someone who doesn't care and randomly posts irrelevant stuff

Uppercut

2ndly, ODIs have been played in SL since ages, so whats the point in saying that XYZ team won because of the toss when you probably didn't say that for a team winning in SL the past

lastly, if you don't care then why bother posting your opinion on this thread :laugh: .... and if you have taken the trouble to post here despite not caring then why should anyone give his 2 cents to someone who doesn't care and randomly posts irrelevant stuff
Firstly, I say something every time there's a day-nighter in Sri Lanka, but whether i did or not is irrelevant. The toss is a huge factor in these games, whether you like it or not.

Secondly, my opinion is much more valid for having no bias. Ever notice how much easier it is to see how good teams are when you don't feel anything towards them? If a Sri Lanka fan says "ahh but the toss had a big part to play..", you can write it off as bias. When an impartial observer says that, it's time to take it seriously.

pup11

International Coach

For me it came as a surprise to see India win the series after watching the Sri Lankans dominated the test series and in the 1st Odi of the series, but India counter-attacked and took the bull (Mendis and Murali) by the horns, and they outclassed the Lankans in every aspect of the game, but one can't deny that winning the toss 2 times at Colombo, helped them a lot, there are certain stadiums where batting under-lights proves to be distinct disadvantage and the stadium at Colombo seemed to be one of them.
Btw its not only India that have beaten Sri Lanka at home in an Odi series now, iirc this was their 4th consecutive Odi series defeat at home, which is kind of suprising considering how hard they are to beat at home.
P.S: Btw mate what's with the attitude, why are you being so harsh to him, he is the member of CW and he is bound to post his opinion on whichever thread he feels like, as much as you are also free to ignore it.

Precambrian

Banned
Firstly, I say something every time there's a day-nighter in Sri Lanka, but whether i did or not is irrelevant. The toss is a huge factor in these games, whether you like it or not.

Secondly, my opinion is much more valid for having no bias. Ever notice how much easier it is to see how good teams are when you don't feel anything towards them? If a Sri Lanka fan says "ahh but the toss had a big part to play..", you can write it off as bias. When an impartial observer says that, it's time to take it seriously.
I am sorry but got bit carried away with Migara's remarks. I agree toss has got a say in DN games in SL, but toss alone was not the only factor determining the outcome.

ret

International Debutant

saying that 'I m impartial' doesn't make you one .... and again it's for the individual to decide who has a bias or not as a SL fan may post with little bias than a neutral observer

2ndly, iirc, after India loss in the Ist ODI, you did post stuff like 'where are those who said that the youngsters would do well' and now they have done well so it's not surprising that you are trying to give some credit to the toss, mr impartial :p

may be your problem is that while the seniors failed in the tests, the youngsters pulled off a win here

and its not difficult to see on what basis are you making your comments

Originally Posted by ret
after the comprehensive ODI series win in SL, may be if Ind had fielded in-form players in the tests then the result there could have been different

the wins in T20, CB series, Idea Cup and looking at the top 2 teams in the IPL, it evident that it's big form that counts over big names
Originally Posted by Uppercut
Evident that winning the toss and batting first in Sri Lanka during a day-nighter is a huge advantage, mind.
as far as i see, you clearly posted with the youngsters doing better than the oldies in your mind .... impartial, my foot :p

Uppercut

saying that 'I m impartial' doesn't make you one .... and again it's for the individual to decide who has a bias or not as a SL fan may post with little bias than a neutral observer

2ndly, iirc, after India loss in the Ist ODI, you did post stuff like 'where are those who said that the youngsters would do well' and now they have done well so it's not surprising that you are trying to give some credit to the toss, mr impartial :p

may be your problem is that while the seniors failed in the tests, the youngsters pulled off a win here

and its not difficult to see on what basis are you making your comments

as far as i see, you clearly posted with the youngsters doing better than the oldies in your mind .... impartial, my foot :p
I think you may have me confused with someone else, dear. I've been very much in favour of bringing players like Gambhir, Badrinath and Mishra into the side.

ret

International Debutant
I think you may have me confused with someone else, dear. I've been very much in favour of bringing players like Gambhir, Badrinath and Mishra into the side.
:-O my bad

and in that case, 'yes, toss does play a role in ODIs, especially at venues like Durban, etc' but again as they say luck favors the brave and SL have lost many ODIs series at home so it's not surprisingly that they lost this one too .... Being the home side, SL should have known about how the D/N games go there so again they should be the last ones complaining abt it. may be they hoped to win more toss there but Ind turned the tables .... But again full credit to Dhoni and his bunch!!!

Lambu

U19 Debutant
What Mirando is an in-form batsman now?Please give me a break...the guy only uses the outer edge of his bat.

Precambrian

Banned
Yeah, quite simple approach. No airs. But, i don't think Tendulkar really struggled against him during the series, he scored some 53 of 58 balls or the like before finally getting leg before in the last test. But he owned Dravid, and Laxman and Yuvi in the one dayers.