• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Golf Thread

Molehill

International Captain
LIV Adelaide has the best field & is an event with a concert, etc
A reminder that they're being paid to be there, not because they've turned up hoping to win some prizemoney.

And if it's anything like the UK event, the availability of cheap/free beer seemed more of an attraction to many.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
A reminder that they're being paid to be there, not because they've turned up hoping to win some prizemoney.

And if it's anything like the UK event, the availability of cheap/free beer seemed more of an attraction to many.
A reminder that every top golfer is wealthy and many have millions in endorsements so prize money is secondary to winning

Also ironic when the biggest cash grab of the year is being played on the PGAT this week

I wonder how many casuals could name last year’s winner?

I’d wager not many

Molehill

International Captain
A reminder that every top golfer is wealthy and many have millions in endorsements so prize money is secondary to winning

Also ironic when the biggest cash grab of the year is being played on the PGAT this week

I wonder how many casuals could name last year’s winner?

I’d wager not many
At least the amount they get paid depends on the quality of their golf. The winner's purse also about the same as Jon Rahm gets paid for about 3 months of getting out of bed.

Hovland's win last year is a good reminder of the fact that golfers are not always in form. You can't just rock up to any old tournament and earn money..........oh hold on!!

social

At least the amount they get paid depends on the quality of their golf. The winner's purse also about the same as Jon Rahm gets paid for about 3 months of getting out of bed.

Hovland's win last year is a good reminder of the fact that golfers are not always in form. You can't just rock up to any old tournament and earn money..........oh hold on!!
lol

The majority of signature events on the PGA Tour are no cut with guaranteed money

That’s the very definition of rock up and earn money

You also ignore that these guys earn millions in endorsements before they even hit a ball

Then you have this tournament where the vast majority of competitors have zero chance of winning and only turn up because last place is guaranteed $550k

Molehill

International Captain
lol

The majority of signature events on the PGA Tour are no cut with guaranteed money

That’s the very definition of rock up and earn money

You also ignore that these guys earn millions in endorsements before they even hit a ball

Then you have this tournament where the vast majority of competitors have zero chance of winning and only turn up because last place is guaranteed $550k
But you're ignoring the fact that you have to play decent golf to first of all make the Top 50 for signature events and then even better to make the Top 30 at the Tour Championship. Endorsements don't happen before they hit a ball, they happen when they become value for brand awareness.

Anyway, I do agree that the format of this tournament stinks. It was far better previously when it was a standalone but points counted to the overall total. They will get their just desserts if Scottie wins this by 10 and makes it totally unwatchable over the weekend.....and I hope he does given his domination this year.

social

Tiger Woods signed endorsement deals worth > $100 million before hitting a ball in professional golf

Extreme example but most of the top pros earn millions off course

Molehill

International Captain
Tiger Woods signed endorsement deals worth > $100 million before hitting a ball in professional golf

Extreme example but most of the top pros earn millions off course
I'm not doubting that, but most make more endorsements by being successful on the course. And lets not forget Woods had already smashed all the amateur records at that point anyway.

Just seen a tweet by the PGA highlighting the fact Scheffler has the biggest lead after Round 1 in a tournament on record (since 1983 anyway)!! They're literally highlighting the stupidity of this tournament, and one which the players to a man preferred the old format.

social

I'm not doubting that, but most make more endorsements by being successful on the course. And lets not forget Woods had already smashed all the amateur records at that point anyway.

Just seen a tweet by the PGA highlighting the fact Scheffler has the biggest lead after Round 1 in a tournament on record (since 1983 anyway)!! They're literally highlighting the stupidity of this tournament, and one which the players to a man preferred the old format.
That was such a stupid tweet and just goes to show how tone deaf they really are

Shame as it has the makings of a great tournament without the handicap

Molehill

International Captain
That was such a stupid tweet and just goes to show how tone deaf they really are

Shame as it has the makings of a great tournament without the handicap
Agreed, like they've forgotten when Tiger won it and what a huge story that was. Couldn't happen under this format. They also seem to have spent huge amounts of money on re-designing the course too. Although, if I'm being honest, I can only ever really remember the two finishing holes on each 9.

If they split the prizemoney in two, one half for the year end rankings and the other for the actual tournament it would make far more sense, and a great spectacle.

social

Agreed, like they've forgotten when Tiger won it and what a huge story that was. Couldn't happen under this format. They also seem to have spent huge amounts of money on re-designing the course too. Although, if I'm being honest, I can only ever really remember the two finishing holes on each 9.

If they split the prizemoney in two, one half for the year end rankings and the other for the actual tournament it would make far more sense, and a great spectacle.
Scottie Scheffler is clearly the world’s best atm but the fact that he looks like earning more than LeBron from a sport that has 20% of NBA’s revenue is ludicrous

What’s more, the NBA has just signed a massive new broadcast deal to safeguard their future while the tour’s ratings are going downhill

Molehill

International Captain
Scottie Scheffler is clearly the world’s best atm but the fact that he looks like earning more than LeBron from a sport that has 20% of NBA’s revenue is ludicrous

What’s more, the NBA has just signed a massive new broadcast deal to safeguard their future while the tour’s ratings are going downhill
Agreed that the figures are daft, but they've been forced down this route to try and prevent more players being picked off by LIV (not like the NBA has a Saudi rival......yet). To be honest, they should concentrate more on the quality of their product and the legacy of their tournaments than trying to compete on money. You can't beat LIV on that and those with no concern for the all round future of golf will jump ship anyway.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Scintillating, nail-biter of a finish at the Tour Championship!

Just kidding...there wasn't a doubt at any point.

social

Scintillating, nail-biter of a finish at the Tour Championship!

Just kidding...there wasn't a doubt at any point.
Even more confusing when you see the payouts

Scottie won the tournament because he was given shots over Morikawa & Theegala

He’s also rumoured to be rewarded with $10 million for PIP but doesn’t do social media and PGA Tour ratings are down so maybe he doesn’t have much impact :laugh:

Then you have Morikawa

Loses a tournament despite hitting the least shots which has a negative impact on his overall ranking so it’s a double penalty

Good news is that OWGR regards this as a win for him so he gets the most ranking points but nobody thinks they’re credible anyway

Rumour has it that ratings for tournament aren’t good so hopefully catalyst for change

Last edited:

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Both Morikawa and Theegala beat him in number of shots...but Scheffler did what he needed to do and I don't think there is any great controversy about his win as such. He was the runaway best player this season and deserved the Fedex Cup.

The only way he could have been dislodged from the top this week was if he had backed up at any point (which he didn't) or someone closer to him than Morikawa had put on a massive run. Schauffele was probably in the best position to do that but he was flat all week and couldn't challenge at all.

It does feel like the rules need to change if only to make the final tournament a little more competitive but I don't know what an ideal solution would be. I don't think Morikawa winning the Fedex Cup would have been all that fair anyway given he didn't even win once all season (admittedly played well and came close a few times).

Last edited:

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Loses a tournament despite hitting the least shots which has a negative impact on his overall ranking so it’s a double penalty
This is not true. The ranking is based on the number of shots this week and not the front-loaded score so Morikawa having the least shots will definitely help him in terms of ranking.

social

This is not true. The ranking is based on the number of shots this week and not the front-loaded score so Morikawa having the least shots will definitely help him in terms of ranking.
Helps him with OWGR but not FedEx

Molehill

International Captain
Then you have Morikawa

Loses a tournament despite hitting the least shots
which has a negative impact on his overall ranking so it’s a double penalty

Good news is that OWGR regards this as a win for him so he gets the most ranking points but nobody thinks they’re credible anyway

Rumour has it that ratings for tournament aren’t good so hopefully catalyst for change
Actually, it was Theegala who hit the least amount of shots, but the 2 shot penalty he called on himself (somewhat bizarrely) made the difference. Can't imagine Patrick Reed making that call!!.

The old system was great. It would've allowed Scheffler to win the Fedex Cup (as he should) and for the actual tournament to have a nailbiting finish (with 3 holes to play I believe the equivalent scoring was Morikawa and Theegala tied for the lead with Scottie one behind). Instead of a tepid final hole, we'd have had them all going for it.

But it seems the US audience doesn't get the points system (the one that is used for the whole season until this one final tournament)!!

Apparently, Scottie has broken the record for days taken to get your 1st win to your 13th ahead of Jack and Tiger. Well I don't remember those 2 ever getting a minimum of 2 shots head start on the rest of the field. Ridiculous stat!!

social

Actually, it was Theegala who hit the least amount of shots, but the 2 shot penalty he called on himself (somewhat bizarrely) made the difference. Can't imagine Patrick Reed making that call!!.

The old system was great. It would've allowed Scheffler to win the Fedex Cup (as he should) and for the actual tournament to have a nailbiting finish (with 3 holes to play I believe the equivalent scoring was Morikawa and Theegala tied for the lead with Scottie one behind). Instead of a tepid final hole, we'd have had them all going for it.

But it seems the US audience doesn't get the points system (the one that is used for the whole season until this one final tournament)!!

Apparently, Scottie has broken the record for days taken to get your 1st win to your 13th ahead of Jack and Tiger. Well I don't remember those 2 ever getting a minimum of 2 shots head start on the rest of the field. Ridiculous stat!!
Apparently the rationale is that the tour wants to avoid a situation where the player who wins the FedEx Cup is different to who wins the Tour Championship

It’s complete nonsense

The world number 1 in tennis doesn’t always win the ATP Finals and nobody cares

I get the feeling that the PGAT is talking to themselves and hasn’t got a clue what the average fan wants