• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Golf Thread

Molehill

International Captain
Apparently the rationale is that the tour wants to avoid a situation where the player who wins the FedEx Cup is different to who wins the Tour Championship

It’s complete nonsense

The world number 1 in tennis doesn’t always win the ATP Finals and nobody cares

I get the feeling that the PGAT is talking to themselves and hasn’t got a clue what the average fan wants
And to a certain extent, that does sum up American Sport where there is an apparent need to have a final winner, not just base it on a season's performance.

But the tennis comparison is good. The ATP Finals rewards the top 8 players for their performance during the year and brings the best together for a season ending finale. No reason why the PGA Tour should be any different.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
And to a certain extent, that does sum up American Sport where there is an apparent need to have a final winner, not just base it on a season's performance.

But the tennis comparison is good. The ATP Finals rewards the top 8 players for their performance during the year and brings the best together for a season ending finale. No reason why the PGA Tour should be any different.
Completely off topic

The biggest event in world golf right now must be The Rest v LIV in a Ryder Cup format

It would be massive as the casuals would buy in

I am sure that the establishment knows it but they can’t get their **** together

Molehill

International Captain
Completely off topic

The biggest event in world golf right now must be The Rest v LIV in a Ryder Cup format

I am sure that the establishment knows it but they can’t get their **** together
Really not sure it would be. Outside of the Golf world there is little awareness of LIV, and apart from you and a few other golf starved Aussies, who would support them?

It would be pretty one sided too. Might work for a 6 strong team, but when you get to 12 the quality of LIV is far too diluted to be competitive.

Molehill

International Captain
Really not sure it would be. Outside of the Golf world there is little awareness of LIV, and apart from you and a few other golf starved Aussies, who would support them?

It would be pretty one sided too. Might work for a 6 strong team, but when you get to 12 the quality of LIV is far too diluted to be competitive.
Just to add to this. The performance of the LIV boys in the Majors this year has been really disappointing, it's basically been only Bryson who has stood up.

Hatton was in pole position to win at the Belfry, but his weekend performance was desperate. It seems like these guys have forgotten how to play under pressure.

Molehill

International Captain
Completely off topic

Well you've got a mini version of this, Rory/Scottie v Brooks/Bryson. I suspect it won't be taken too seriously and we'll have to put up with that painful trash talking that US Golfers seem to find funny.

Molehill

International Captain
Meanwhile, Jon Rahm seemingly refusing to pay his DP Tour fines to enable him to play and thus qualify for the Ryder Cup. I think he's being really poorly advised at the mo. You'd think this would be a no brainer given how much LIV have paid him, I wonder if others have got stuck in to those payments.....

social

Meanwhile, Jon Rahm seemingly refusing to pay his DP Tour fines to enable him to play and thus qualify for the Ryder Cup. I think he's being really poorly advised at the mo. You'd think this would be a no brainer given how much LIV have paid him, I wonder if others have got stuck in to those payments.....
nah, fk the DPWT

He’s Spanish, wants to play Spanish events and will be by far the biggest draw

The DPWT doesn’t charge Cam Smith for playing in the Australian Open because fans would boycott the event if he didn’t play

The DPWT sold out to the PGAT and are paying for their incompetence

Molehill

International Captain
nah, fk the DPWT

He’s Spanish, wants to play Spanish events and will be by far the biggest draw

The DPWT doesn’t charge Cam Smith for playing in the Australian Open because fans would boycott the event if he didn’t play

The DPWT sold out to the PGAT and are paying for their incompetence
No, he's European and wants to play in the Ryder Cup, playing the Spanish events qualifies him to do that. Smith wouldn't be able to play in the Ryder Cup even if he was a member so that has zero relevance.

Actions have consequences, Rahm needs to understand that.

Also an utterly bizarre interview about some prize from LIV being a gold ring with a QR code printed inside it linking to highlights of winning moments. #stayclassy

Even Rahm seemed utterly bemused by that, especially when asked if his kids would be allowed to scan it!!

social

No, he's European and wants to play in the Ryder Cup, playing the Spanish events qualifies him to do that. Smith wouldn't be able to play in the Ryder Cup even if he was a member so that has zero relevance.

Actions have consequences, Rahm needs to understand that.

Also an utterly bizarre interview about some prize from LIV being a gold ring with a QR code printed inside it linking to highlights of winning moments. #stayclassy

Even Rahm seemed utterly bemused by that, especially when asked if his kids would be allowed to scan it!!
Actions don’t have consequences

Jason Day has just announced that he’s skipping the DPWT Australian Open to play in Tiger’s exhibition AGAIN and won’t be fined

He also played in the Olympics despite not being the best available

Hopefully, Rahm sticks to his guns and tells them to jam it as he’s got sponsor’s invites & the DPWT deserves all the heat coming their way

Molehill

International Captain
Actions don’t have consequences

Jason Day has just announced that he’s skipping the DPWT Australian Open to play in Tiger’s exhibition AGAIN and won’t be fined

He also played in the Olympics despite not being the best available

Hopefully, Rahm sticks to his guns and tells them to jam it as he’s got sponsor’s invites & the DPWT deserves all the heat coming their way
If Cam Smith was still playing on the PGA Tour, I doubt he plays those Aussie events either. All those saying they were enjoying a reduced schedule were really talking rubbish if they then go and play events they never used to. Pleased to see the Aussies at least stuck to their guns and didn't select him for the Olympics.

Well Rahm's partially caved in it that he says he's contesting the fines, which allows him to play the various events on the Tour.

Given we always get thrashed in the US anyway, I'd have no issue with him being left out. Got a feeling he won't be great for team morale which is where Europe are always so strong.

Molehill

International Captain
Anyway, some great golf this weekend, are you getting any access to the DP Tour at Royal County Down? Think I'm adding this to my bucket list, looks absolutely stunning, although wouldn't want to play it on a 'tough' day.

Solheim Cup should be good fun too. Be surprised if Europe can hold on to the Cup this time, could even be a bit one sided tbh, especially if the US big names turn up. Europe just doesn't seem to have the firepower now.

social

Anyway, some great golf this weekend, are you getting any access to the DP Tour at Royal County Down? Think I'm adding this to my bucket list, looks absolutely stunning, although wouldn't want to play it on a 'tough' day.

Solheim Cup should be good fun too. Be surprised if Europe can hold on to the Cup this time, could even be a bit one sided tbh, especially if the US big names turn up. Europe just doesn't seem to have the firepower now.
Yeah, we get everything here

Would love to play more golf in Ireland

Friend of mine spent a season in Dublin and we had a game at a random public course and even that was pretty spectacular

Apparently the DPWT encouraged Rahm to appeal to ensure his availability for the upcoming events and the Ryder Cup

Thing is such a mess

btw, Smith plays here every year (as does Scott) irrespective of the tour he plays on regularly and has been open about taking the money

Molehill

International Captain
Yeah, we get everything here

Would love to play more golf in Ireland

Friend of mine spent a season in Dublin and we had a game at a random public course and even that was pretty spectacular

Apparently the DPWT encouraged Rahm to appeal to ensure his availability for the upcoming events and the Ryder Cup

Thing is such a mess

btw, Smith plays here every year (as does Scott) irrespective of the tour he plays on regularly and has been open about taking the money
I've no real issue with Smith, I get why Aussies would do it. There is less of a home tour to be loyal to, and the President's Cup is seemingly not the draw that the Ryder Cup is. The S Africans were very honest too, and most were heading towards their retirement years too, so made sense. But Rahm's just been a bit disingenuous about it all. Thought he'd be able to grab the money before the tours re-aligned.

Not much not to like about Adam Scott (apart from his putting). Don't know if you follow Claire Rogers on X, but there's a good interview with him on there. I like the fact he wouldn't watch Tiger hit shots when he played with him as it made him feel inferior, despite having that swing of his own.

I've played a few round Dublin too, was trying to organise a trip there a couple of years ago for my 50th, but it was just getting too expensive and difficult with flights etc for a large number. The top courses have just become so expensive here, catering to the US Tourists.

social

I've no real issue with Smith, I get why Aussies would do it. There is less of a home tour to be loyal to, and the President's Cup is seemingly not the draw that the Ryder Cup is. The S Africans were very honest too, and most were heading towards their retirement years too, so made sense. But Rahm's just been a bit disingenuous about it all. Thought he'd be able to grab the money before the tours re-aligned.

Not much not to like about Adam Scott (apart from his putting). Don't know if you follow Claire Rogers on X, but there's a good interview with him on there. I like the fact he wouldn't watch Tiger hit shots when he played with him as it made him feel inferior, despite having that swing of his own.

I've played a few round Dublin too, was trying to organise a trip there a couple of years ago for my 50th, but it was just getting too expensive and difficult with flights etc for a large number. The top courses have just become so expensive here, catering to the US Tourists.
Can’t say I know Adam well but have been friendly with his Dad for years and his parents are the nicest people

One thing I don’t get about some of the LIV guys is that some of the top players are already ridiculously wealthy

Adam doesn’t care about business at all (or never used to) and his Australian property portfolio is huge because the endorsements just pour in

social

On another note, Christo Lamprecht definitely seems to have been poorly advised

He was the world #1 amateur and had a guaranteed start in at least one more major but turned professional to play on the Korn Ferry Tour & now he’s struggling

Hindsight is 20/20 but he should have played another major & joined the DPWT for these big events

Son Of Coco

Can’t say I know Adam well but have been friendly with his Dad for years and his parents are the nicest people

One thing I don’t get about some of the LIV guys is that some of the top players are already ridiculously wealthy

Adam doesn’t care about business at all (or never used to) and his Australian property portfolio is huge because the endorsements just pour in
Adam Scott seems like a nice bloke. A guy I played junior golf with hangs out with him a fair bit when he's back in Oz. They played at Kooralbyn together at the golf school out there.

I still remembered watching him hole out for albatross on the 14th of the River Course at Tweed many years ago. I think he hit 8 iron in for his second. He would have been about 17.

social

Adam Scott seems like a nice bloke. A guy I played junior golf with hangs out with him a fair bit when he's back in Oz. They played at Kooralbyn together at the golf school out there.

I still remembered watching him hole out for albatross on the 14th of the River Course at Tweed many years ago. I think he hit 8 iron in for his second. He would have been about 17.
I used to play with his Dad quite a bit at Sanctuary Cove

Adam was a quiet young guy who was only interested in golf and surfing

Played with him a couple of times and he shot mid 60s without breaking a sweat