• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Hypothetical question - is it easier for an opener to transition to the middle order, or easier for a middle order batsman to transition to an opener?

Bolo.

International Vice-Captain
An Important point you need to understand is that in the time Keith Miller played Ashes was taken very seriously and other tournaments are not so important. His record against England was very good and doesn’t need to be tested in all conditions. His relationship with Bradman or their views doesn’t matter here. Miller was too talented in his time and some people were envious of him including Bradman. Show a Statistical proof why he doesn’t fit in as 3rd bowler.
Are you picking an Ashes XI or an all time one?

He's a 3wpm bowler. Taking 20 wickets from another ATG side is a challenge. Stats are not just career averages.

With him in as 4th you have huge holes across WI and the SC. Only 1 to 2 who were actually successful in each country.

Qlder

State Vice-Captain
Hypothetical question - is it easier for an opener to transition to the middle order, or easier for a middle order batsman to transition to an opener?
It'll be confirmed soon after an ATG #4 hugely fails to convert to being an average opener in the upcoming BG Series 😉

CricketFan90s

First Class Debutant
Chanderpaul had some good experience as an ODI Opener and Ponting a No 3 player used to face New Ball regularly if an Opener gets out early. So both in my opinion can be Good Openers.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
I would.say the former.

I would also say it depends on what type of batsman it is as well.

Just a random example, I would prefer for a Kallis to transition up than a Hutton to slide down.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
A west Indies / Australia compilation.

Greenidge
Simpson
Bradman
Richards
Lara
Sobers
Gilchrist
Marshall
Warne
Garner
McGrath

If we're including SA

Greenidge
Richards
Bradman
Richards
Lara
Sobers
Gilchrist
Marshall
Warne
Steyn
McGrath

SA - 2
WI - 5
Aus - 4

Qlder

State Vice-Captain
What's your ATG XI from the last 50 years?

Here's my Aussie side:
1. Hayden
2. Warner
3. Ponting
4. G.Chappell
5. S.Waugh
6. Border
7. Gilchrist
8. Warne
9. Cummins
10. Lillee
11. McGrath

Mark Taylor would have been there and probably captain if he had not had a couple of long dry spells in his career

Last edited:

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Gavaskar
Smith*
Lara
Tendulkar
Smith
Kallis
Gilchrist+
Hadlee
Marshall
Warne
McGrath

If Gavaskar and Hadlee are dq’d for debuting pre 74 I’d replace them with Hayden and Steyn respectively

Qlder

State Vice-Captain
If Gavaskar and Hadlee are dq’d for debuting pre 74 I’d replace them with Hayden and Steyn respectively
Nah, my intent was who were the best players over last 50 years, I dont care when they debuted (I have Chappell and Lillee who both debuted before '74)

Last edited:

capt_Luffy

International Regular
Last 50 years India XI:

1. Sunil Gavaskar
  2. Virendra Sehwag
  3. Rahul Dravid
  4. Sachin Tendulkar
  5. Virat Kohli
  6. M S Dhoni (wk&c)
  7. Ravindra Jadeja
  8. Kapil Dev
  9. Ravichandran Ashwin
  10. Anil Kumble
  11. Jasprit Bumrah
Yep, exactly the India AT XI

Last 50 years England XI:

1. Geoff Boycott
  2. Alastair Cook
  3. David Gower
  4. Joe Root
  5. Kevin Pietersen
  6. Ben Stokes (c)
  7. Ian Botham
  8. Alan Knott (wk)
  9. Graeme Swann
  10. Bob Willis
  11. James Anderson

You could make a very valid England AT XI without anyone of them (Root and Jimmy just makes mine, could very easily replace them with Compton/Barrington/May and Statham/Larwood/Bedser)

Last edited:

Qlder

State Vice-Captain
Last 50 years India XI:
  1. Sunil Gavaskar
  2. Virendra Sehwag
  3. Rahul Dravid
  4. Sachin Tendulkar
  5. Virat Kohli
  6. M S Dhoni (wk&c)
  7. Ravindra Jadeja
  8. Kapil Dev
  9. Ravichandran Ashwin
  10. Anil Kumble
  11. Jasprit Bumrah
Yep, exactly the India AT XI
So you playing just in India then with 3 spinners and only 1 fast and 1 medium-fast pacer 😉

Last edited: