• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sri Lanka in Australia thread

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
I am very disappointed by Murali's decision not to tour. I guess he had to make a difficult decision based on his past experiences and he couldn't face another tour of vindictive media, some vicious spectators, and more likely so called cricket experts (of the likes of Jarman and Co.) with protractors!!

No-one comes out a winner out of this saga! Definitely not Murali. Nor the Australian Media, or cricket experts who used the media to pour scathing attacks without waiting for proper analysis or scientific tests. SriLankan cricket also comes out badly for their poor handling of the initial reporting by Broad, then messing around with the report of the Biomechanical experts etc. ICC may have helped diffuse this by appointing a different match referee, considering the SriLankans concern regarding Broad.

I still hope that there's still room for Murali to change his mind and make his appearance in Darwin or Cairns.

badgerhair

U19 Vice-Captain
anzac said:
and bottom line it's still no where near the levels of abuse & violence as practised by ENG football fans.............or by IND cricket fans in the past.......

and that's not to say that I condone it, but I do not see anything wrong with a bit of passion in supporters, rather than just the polite applause from the "member's" stand.............
Those would be the Indian cricket fans whose clapping and cheering was echoing round my bedroom early one morning as Chris Lewis stood there on 94*, and who exploded with delight when he reached his hundred with a six, would they?

The minority of English football fans who are disgusting may be slightly less bad than their Turkish counterparts, but otherwise they're the pits. And it's a minority, just as it's a minority of Australian cricket spectators who are seriously offensive. And at least the West Stand at Headingley has mellowed in recent years - the old Western Terrace was actually pretty unpleasant in the late 80s and early 90s.

I don't mind a bit of passion. If I had my way, cricket crowds the world over would be West Indian. They don't go in for polite applause from the members' stand - it's raucous applause from there, and substantially more energetic everywhere else.

I very much appreciate the up-front attitude of the average Aussie; collectively though, amplified 30,000 times over, it's a bit wearing to say the least.

Cheers,

Mike

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
badgerhair said:
I'd say a lot of Englishmen have called Murali a chucker. They may not have done so before he started chucking the doosra, a ball which is actually impossible to deliver with a fair action, but a lot say so now

I was talking about pre-Doosra.

I still think that most English fans (if here is anyhing to go by) realise that it is only one ball still.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Sanz said:
I didnt see Australians screaming 'Cheat', 'Cheat' when Mark Waugh and Shane Warne took money or When Shane warne took performance enhancing Drug or When Chappel bowled under-arm, when Slater claimed droppped catches and fought with the Umpire, when australian players abused others in the cricket ground because otherwise they were not able to get the batsman out ?

Right - Warne and Waugh took money for weather forecasting - naive yes, cheating no?
Can you please prove to me that Warne has taken any performance enhancing drug, or would you prefer to retract that one?
Slater isn't the only one to ever claim a catch that may not have carried, and I firmly believe that when it's that close, the fielder doesn't necessarily know it didn't carry. And "fighting with the umpire" - as with Warne, I assume you can prove this?
And sledging - of course, no other side indulges in it? It's part of the game, so why attack one nation for it?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Sanz said:
If that is the case then why has ICC not banned him yet ??
Well, let's see, could it be that since he's been informed that the doosra is illegal, he's not bowled it?

anzac

International Debutant
Sanz said:
If that is the case then why has ICC not banned him yet ??
because of the rules regarding bowling actions.............very broadly.......
*the action is called / reported
*in Phase 1 it is tested & the player has a 'window of grace' during which time he can not have the action 'called' again
*once this time frame has expired he enters Phase 2 during which he can be 'called' re the action & has to undergo further testing. If his action is found to be outside the laws he then faces a ban of up to 12 months.........

Murali's action was found to be outside the laws in Phase 1 = illegal, but he used it in the 1st Test v ZIM which was also in Phase 1 & so could not be called & faces no penalty - he has not used it since entering Phase 2 which was at the start of the 2nd Test..........

The ICC is set to review the relevant laws during the Champions Trophey, or to at least look at the situation, gather more data etc..........but currently the laws still stand as is & Murali's action is still deemed to be 'illegal' until further notice.........

while it is correct to say that Murali has not wilfully broken any laws during a match, many see his decision to use the action during Phase 1, knowing full well that it was / is illegal & that he could not be called, as at least 'morally' cheating, and just to rub salt into the wound he took wickets which helped him obtain the record.........

not very 'sportsmanlike' for such a grand occaision..........

anzac

International Debutant
badgerhair said:
Those would be the Indian cricket fans whose clapping and cheering was echoing round my bedroom early one morning as Chris Lewis stood there on 94*, and who exploded with delight when he reached his hundred with a six, would they?

Cheers,

Mike

nope.............I did say in the past - I was thinking of the '70s & a certain riot that led to the stadium being burnt down & the test match abandoned "due to crowd disturbance"...........

agree with the rest..............

anzac

International Debutant
Sanz said:
Once again you are missing the point, Indian or English fans dont single out ONE player , their behaviour has remained consistent for every team and almost every player.
nope........I was making a distinction between fans (fanatics) and supporters, and that I enjoy a bit of passion from supporters (as opposed to abuse & violence from fans).........

it was a general view & not intended as a comment regarding the specific behaviour.........however ENG football fans HAVE singled out players & have done so on the basis of colour.........

badgerhair

U19 Vice-Captain
a massive zebra said:
But Murali has not wilfully broken the Laws of Cricket while playing a match.
He's bowled the doosra, and intended to. As have Harbhajan Singh and Saqlain Mushtaq. Since it is impossible to bowl the doosra without straightening the arm, to bowl it is to wilfully break the Laws of Cricket.

Cheers,

Mike

anzac

International Debutant
a massive zebra said:
Of course he is. He has been singled out for abuse because the anglo-Australians are jelous; they want Warne to be the record holder and cannot accept that a Sri Lankan could possibly be a better bowler than their idol.
so are we making it based upon racial prejudices then??????

on a side note how about the arguement that Murali deliberately went to ZIM to play a C grade team, and knowingly used an illegal action (knowing he couldn't be called), to ensure he got the record ahead of Warne because he felt that if he didn't that Warne had a better chance to get there ahead of him & ruin his 15 mins of fame.............

having done so he now can try the ends justify the means arguement.......while his supporters can claim bragging rights as to who is the best etc.........

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
marc71178 said:
I was talking about pre-Doosra.

I still think that most English fans (if here is anyhing to go by) realise that it is only one ball still.
I think most cricket fans are too ignorant to realise that there is a difference between the doosra and his normal delivery.
Certainly in Australia there is that ignorance.
You wouldn't believe how many Sri Lankan friends of mine would be constantly harassed whenever playing cricket because Aussies though Murali was a chucker. Of course, the people harassing my friends were the same people who would harass an Afghan friend of mine because they thought he was a terrorist.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
The withdrawal of Murali is a sad indictment of Australia's cricket media, so called cricket experts (of the likes of Jarman) and the "cricket tragic" (who has my fullest sympathy for being drawn into a controversy he didn't expect to be in when he unwittingly replied a question [while he was probably off-guard as it were]).

Sports fans behaviour is merely a reflection of their sporting idols behaviour and hence there's very little surprise with some of the bad behaviour of the fans when incidents like the one at the weekend show apalling conduct by their so called heroes.

(as the last weekends Essendon V Brisbane [Aussie rules] game would indicate where the Brisbane Team Doctor who came to attend an injured player was pushed to the ground by an Essendon player).

Last edited:

Scallywag

Banned
Dasa said:
You wouldn't believe how many Sri Lankan friends of mine would be constantly harassed whenever playing cricket because Aussies though Murali was a chucker. Of course, the people harassing my friends were the same people who would harass an Afghan friend of mine because they thought he was a terrorist.

You wouldent believe how many Australians get racially abused in Sri Lanka. Just because we are Australians Sri Lankans think they can yell abuse at us and call us arrogant without even speaking to us first. In fact this trend of abusing Australians is promoted by there own leader, Muralis coach, Muralis mum, and all the media in Sri Lanka.

Now if an Australian cricket team went to Afganistan to play cricket they probably would get killed.

ReallyCrazy

Banned
When I first heard that Murali decided not to tour, I felt he was acting childish. Someone said that the best way to prove his detractors wrong was to take a lot of Australian batters out and let his bowling talk. And that made alot of sense.

But really it is not a patriotic aussie crowd Murali will be facing in Australia. Every time he comes on to bowl, ppl are going to boo his each and every delivery. I am pretty sure ppl will hurl racial slurs at him and what not. Murali does not have to take that. He doesn't have to tour such a country. (However, if he goes ahead with the tour and gets a lot of wickets, he will gain a lot of respect from the real cricket fans).

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I don't think so. The people of Darwin & Cairns have had very little international cricket exposure, and don't take it for granted like us down south. I'm sure they would be glad to see Murali bowl. Of course there is always a small minority out there who are going to ruin it for everyone, but that's life. Murali needs to have a big think about his role as an international cricket, like most players do. You get paid the big dollars, if you don't want to be in the spotlight, get out of the game altogehter and go work at his father's biscuit factory, or whatever it is he does.

Raj123

U19 Debutant
Scallywag said:
You wouldent believe how many Australians get racially abused in Sri Lanka. Just because we are Australians Sri Lankans think they can yell abuse at us and call us arrogant without even speaking to us first. In fact this trend of abusing Australians is promoted by there own leader, Muralis coach, Muralis mum, and all the media in Sri Lanka.
what the .... ???
Now if an Australian cricket team went to Afganistan to play cricket they probably would get killed.
thats probably a safe assumption considering afghanistan is still in a state of war against Australia(and allies)

Deja moo

International Captain
marc71178 said:
Slater isn't the only one to ever claim a catch that may not have carried, and I firmly believe that when it's that close, the fielder doesn't necessarily know it didn't carry. And "fighting with the umpire" - as with Warne, I assume you can prove this?
India vs Australia first test in Mumbai 2001. The batsman was Dravid and the umpire Venkatraghavan.

Slaters outburst was sickening .

Andre

International Regular
Williams ruled out of the Test series with back problems. Replacement hasn't been named yet.

I'm thinking they kill 2 birds with one stone, select MacGill as the replacement.

If they go for a paceman I'd suspect one of Nicholson, Bracken, Cleary or Wright - all are fairly even in the selection race (although personally I think Bracken is behind). Noffke might also come into the picture.