• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sri Lanka in Australia thread

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Dasa said:
I've been waiting for Elliott to get back into the team for a long time, although I agree other candidates are probably more deserving considering age, longevity and chances they've had etc. If not Elliott, I'd prefer Hodge to get a go.
Judging by the comments of Elliot and Trevor Hohns, it seems as though this is strictly a one-off replacement. If a batsman were to retire I doubt Elliot would be the replacement.

Elliot: "Even if it is for one match, it's something that I'm thrilled about, and I'm looking forward to whatever opportunity presents itself over the coming days."

Hohns: "In this one-off situation, we felt that Matthew was the right replacement, given he has just come off a stint in the UK playing county cricket, and that has followed on from a fine summer in Australia. His form in the Pura Cup over the past few seasons has certainly turned heads."

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
PRACTICAL SL team for the first Test

Sanath
Marvan
Sangakkara
Mahela
Dilshan
Chandana/Arnold/Samaraweera
Maharoof
Vaas
Kalu
Herath
Malinga

The form of Sanath and Sangakkara seems good, and that double century should give the latter some confidence ahead of the coming Test. Dilshan got a useful 66 that won the tour match, so he has a chance. The middle order was disappointing, and so was the tail end, except for Maharoof. Why Kalu was picked for his batting, I have no idea- his form these days is awful.

Herath bowled well in the second innings, but Chandana has done little of note, with ball or bat. The form of Dilhara was most disappointing, since he is a good choice for a strike bowler, and may find it tough making the first Test team, except that he has been in action, while Zoysa hasn't. Malinga proved to be an unexpected success, and is a certainty, but there's a difference between facing a second string side and a full strength Australian team. Maharoof got 3 wickets at a good average, so he can sneak in, especially because of the runs he can score. Sanath may have a lot of bowling to do, if they play 4 bowlers, and on form, he is as good as some of them.

Waughney

International Debutant
Adamc said:
Judging by the comments of Elliot and Trevor Hohns, it seems as though this is strictly a one-off replacement. If a batsman were to retire I doubt Elliot would be the replacement.

Elliot: "Even if it is for one match, it's something that I'm thrilled about, and I'm looking forward to whatever opportunity presents itself over the coming days."

Hohns: "In this one-off situation, we felt that Matthew was the right replacement, given he has just come off a stint in the UK playing county cricket, and that has followed on from a fine summer in Australia. His form in the Pura Cup over the past few seasons has certainly turned heads."
Yes he was chosen as a one off replacement. He has had a lot of cricket recently and is in blistering form which justifies his inclusion.

Andre

International Regular
Arjun said:
PRACTICAL SL team for the first Test

Sanath
Marvan
Sangakkara
Mahela
Dilshan
Chandana/Arnold/Samaraweera
Maharoof
Vaas
Kalu
Herath
Malinga
Think we are looking more at something like this to be honest:

Jayasuriya
Atapattu (c)
Sangakkara +
Jayawardene
Dilshan
Samaraweera
Arnold
Chandana/Herath
Vaas
Zoysa
Malinga.

Herath may just edge out Chandana, but Chandana ia a far superior batsmsn and fielder, so we will wait and see.

The batting is fairly set, the only issue I can see is Arnold and Kalu, depending on what kind of workload they want to give Sangakkara.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
The batting is fairly set, the only issue I can see is Arnold and Kalu, depending on what kind of workload they want to give Sangakkara.
Sangakkara is not only going to bat at 3 (so it will be a lot tougher if he is wicketkeeping), but he's also far from reliable as a wicketkeeper. If he is picked as a keeper, there should be a fifth bowler and the fieldign has to be of top quality.

Arnold has been in no great form, and neither has Kalu, but since Kalu is a better wicketkeeper (than Sangakkara), he may sneak in.

Herath will definitely edge out Chandana, because of the 4 wickets he picked up. Chandana did not get too many runs, but seeing the form of the middle order, he can play in the top 6. He has to start hitting the ball hard.

Zoysa is also a good choice, because of his experience, but he tends to be rather negative as a bowler. Maharoof is more positive, and he's a more attacking batsman. Even as the middle order and Kalu failed, he got some vital runs.

Batting may be set, but runs in the middle order are few, and that needs improvement.

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Problem is, Maharoof was unimpressive at best in Zimbabwe and against New Zealand A - I can't see him having any effect at all against the Australians.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Problem is, Maharoof was unimpressive at best in Zimbabwe and against New Zealand A - I can't see him having any effect at all against the Australians.
He didn't get enough overs in Zimbabwe to prove himself. Besides, he also gets runs. He's not that bad a player, and not far worse than the easy-going Zoysa. Besides, the faster MTT Mirando is not playing.

Jnr.

First Class Debutant
kwigibo said:
Unless Elliott happened to be in Darwin at the time, saving CA an airfare, he has no business being in that team.
According to the Sydney Morning Herald, Matthew Elliot was in Australia.
Elliott was in Australia rather than Cardiff, where he left his cricket gear, because he flew back a fortnight ago for the birth of third son Josh.

National selection panel chairman Trevor Hohns said Elliott was the right man in the right place, acknowledging it would have been tough to call up the lefthander from the other side of the world at such short notice.
Elliott also got the nod over other contenders such as Martin Love because he'd been playing recently rather than resting at home.

"(To pick) anyone who hasn't been playing ... it would have been tough coming into the Test match," Hohns said.
Full article here: http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/06/29/1088392641198.html

tooextracool

International Coach
Neil Pickup said:
does that mean he cant improve?

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think he's the best bowler in the world, too

(Sorry, just totally misquoting, you're getting me into a habit)

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The selectors change their minds on selections to suit themselves. Last year it was like for like replacements with Katich replacing Lehmann instead of Love. Now when it could have been like for like - #3 for #3 they should have chosen Love, however they chose an opening batsman and say it is because he is match hardened. What a joke!

Warne is god

U19 12th Man
What about Hodgie? He's a number 3 and he scored a sh**load more runs last season than Love, give a Victorian a chance. Queensland are half the bloody side.

Mister Wright

Warne is god said:
What about Hodgie? He's a number 3 and he scored a sh**load more runs last season than Love, give a Victorian a chance. Queensland are half the bloody side.
For starters. Hodge has been nowhere as consistent as Love. I can't be bothered looking at statistics, but how many really big scores has Hodge made? Love as a triple hundred, and several double hundreds and countless hundreds.

I will only say this in regards to Qld is half the side of Victoria: Who has made the last 6 domestic first class finals? Who has beaten Victoria twice in two of those six finals? Who out of Victoria & Qld has won 3 titles in a row in the last decade?

Last edited:

bennyr

U19 12th Man
Mister Wright said:
The selectors change their minds on selections to suit themselves. Last year it was like for like replacements with Katich replacing Lehmann instead of Love. Now when it could have been like for like - #3 for #3 they should have chosen Love, however they chose an opening batsman and say it is because he is match hardened. What a joke!
Yeah, what a joke.

It's like people who will use any logic they can think of to justify the selection of Queenslanders. :D

Mister Wright

bennyr said:
Yeah, what a joke.

It's like people who will use any logic they can think of to justify the selection of Queenslanders. :D
Any logic?

How about making the domestic finals 6 years in a row? How about being the most consistent team for the last decade?

You seriously can't tell me that Brett Lee should have been in the Australian team over the summer ahead of Kaspa...but of course the one-eyed people north of the border think players with lesser performances should get in ahead of those up north. It's the way it always has been, and always will be.

bennyr

U19 12th Man
Oh, get off your high horse. Any buffoon could see that Kaspa deserves a spot more than Lee. I don't see why you brought that up.

All I'm noting is a pattern:

- "Two things to take out of the game so far is Sangakarra will be a real danger on this tour, whereas McGrath will not."

- "Now when it could have been like for like - #3 for #3 they should have chosen Love"

I'm not suggesting you are wrong about Love, I can see merit in either selection. All I'm suggesting is that you are possibly seeing the world through maroon coloured glasses.

kwigibo

School Boy/Girl Captain
Mister Wright said:
For starters. Hodge has been nowhere as consistent as Love. I can't be bothered looking at statistics, but how many really big scores has Hodge made? Love as a triple hundred, and several double hundreds and countless hundreds.
Hodge has just made a couple of huge scores in county cricket in the last month or so, and he has been consistent lately.

Waughney

International Debutant
Mister Wright said:
Hodge has a triple-hundred too (302*) plus 32 hundreds including a 286 against India last year.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Mister Wright said:
How about making the domestic finals 6 years in a row? How about being the most consistent team for the last decade?
Why should that come into the equation at all? In case you didn't know, national selection hinges on personal success, not team success, and using that argument, Elliott and Hodge have been more successful than Love.
By the way, I do agree that Lee is rubbish and Kasprowicz deserves a longer run in the side.