• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sri Lanka in Australia thread

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
Well we can only hope. If its not right, well we seem to cope good enough without him anyway.:p

Jack9187

Cricket Spectator
It looks like Ponting might miss the 1st Test due to a family illness. If so, who would replace him. My choice would be Michael Clarke.

Sudeep

International Captain
Jack9187 said:
It looks like Ponting might miss the 1st Test due to a family illness. If so, who would replace him. My choice would be Michael Clarke.
Matthew Elliott.

Dingo

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Ponting out of the 1st Test - expect Clarke, Elliott or Love (whoever can get home quickest) to replace.

Warne is god

U19 12th Man
Yep. I run a site, won't give the name so i don't get called a spammer, but we can confirm that Ricky Ponting will NOT play in the first test. The good word is Matthew Elliott has been called home to replace him.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Jack9187 said:
I highly doubt Clark will raplace him given his **** house form ATM.

Andre

International Regular
Warne is god said:
Yep. I run a site, won't give the name so i don't get called a spammer, but we can confirm that Ricky Ponting will NOT play in the first test. The good word is Matthew Elliott has been called home to replace him.
Well, I just looked at your site, and seeing that you don't get exclusive news from Cricket Australia, I suspect you read about Elliott at either Cricinfo, Cricket Web or Fox Sports.

Anyway, I think he will get the call, although if Martin Love is in Queensland he could play. Bare in mind Love is a genuine number 3, while Langer, Elliott and Katich are all quite capable in that position.

Andre

International Regular
As expected Elliott was recalled. Take note Justin Langer - you have some competition.

Waughney

International Debutant
Well, I think Elliot has a good chance of making some runs. This is his oppurtunity to secure a regular spot in Australia's squad and as Andre said, put some prussure on Langer.

kwigibo

School Boy/Girl Captain
Unless Elliott happened to be in Darwin at the time, saving CA an airfare, he has no business being in that team. He had his chance in the test team and he blew it, there are at least 5 batsmen in this country more deserving who have been overlooked time and again.

I know he had an outstanding pura cup season, but he doesn't deserve a second chance ahead of players who haven't had a first chance. He was deservedly dropped 5 years ago, yet someone like Martin Love is cast aside after performing well in the national team. What about the Husseys, what about Hodge, what about Love, North, Dighton, Jacques, hell, even Clarke? They're all deserving of the position, and they haven't had the chance to fail at Test level. Then there are people like Jamie Cox etc. whose time has probably past, but still payed their dues and only received a slap in the face.

All this not to mention CA talking up youth in their contracted players list this year, yet still including Elliott in lieu of Bevan, who is only a year older, and who has performed just as well as Elliott in FC cricket in recent years not to mention his other records. The way I see it, Bevan, who similarly was dropped from the test team (and unfairly dropped from the ODI team), and who similarly has exorcised the demons that justified his omission, and has spent much longer on the sidelines of test cricket (but destined never to play international cricket again), is more deserving of a call-up.

I can't help but be once again disgusted with Mr Hohns et al.

Last edited:

Warne is god

U19 12th Man
You absolute tool. There is only a certain amount of form you can overlook. The bloke was averaging 81 over 11 matches. You can't ignore that and he has to be given a shot. Clarke was in crap form and wasn't gonna get picked and Love bats to slow. I reckon its about time that a Victorian, other than warnie, got picked in the side.

Warne is god

U19 12th Man
Andre said:
Well, I just looked at your site, and seeing that you don't get exclusive news from Cricket Australia, I suspect you read about Elliott at either Cricinfo, Cricket Web or Fox Sports.

Anyway, I think he will get the call, although if Martin Love is in Queensland he could play. Bare in mind Love is a genuine number 3, while Langer, Elliott and Katich are all quite capable in that position.
No mate. Look at the time we had the Elliott article up, I can show you the msn logs where I was told by my contacts if you want. This is the 3rd exclusive we've broken in a week. Now if only the media would look at my site it'd save everyone time......

Andre

International Regular
Yup - I looked at the time, and it was today, about 8-12 hours behind Fox Sports (they had it up around 2 o'clock yesterday afternoon). Obviously, your contacts are a little more well read than you are.

I'm not overly interested in your MSN logs, but this story was well broken before today, so I'd be a little more careful in the future when claiming exclusives. I don't want this to be an issue, so I'm just letting you know.

Warne is god

U19 12th Man
Fair call then mate. I just looked at the paper and saw it there as well. Guess I should take away the exclusive part. Thanks for pointing that out.

Warne is god

U19 12th Man
No, your wrong mate. The article at fox sports says he would still play, hence my site wins. In theory. But yeah, forget it. BACK TO THE TOUR.

Andre

International Regular
If you must drag this on, the article said Cricket Australia believed Ponting would play, while Ponting himself was non-commital...

But anyway, back to the thread.

kwigibo

School Boy/Girl Captain
Warne is god said:
You absolute tool. There is only a certain amount of form you can overlook. The bloke was averaging 81 over 11 matches. You can't ignore that and he has to be given a shot. Clarke was in crap form and wasn't gonna get picked and Love bats to slow. I reckon its about time that a Victorian, other than warnie, got picked in the side.
Then pick D. Hussey or Hodge. Hodge definitely deserves it. Elliott doesn't bat any faster than Love. He doesn't have to be given a shot, Bevan's FC average for the last decade has been superior to any other Australian, he has had several outstanding seasons, and he was excluded only for a supposed weakness against the short-pitched stuff. So evidently you can overlook outstanding First Class form.

How about the several other candidates I mentioned? I thought I implied well enough that Clarke was definitely not my first choice, but he has talent and about a decade on Elliott in youth, which at least in stated philosophy counts to Cricket Australia. Unless Elliott is just being picked temporarily to do the job with no possibility of pushing someone else out of the side I have to protest profusely.

Plus Elliott is the biggest tool in the country, excepting myself and the Liberal party's cabinet.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
I've been waiting for Elliott to get back into the team for a long time, although I agree other candidates are probably more deserving considering age, longevity and chances they've had etc. If not Elliott, I'd prefer Hodge to get a go.