• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sri Lanka in Australia thread

iamdavid

International Debutant
Looks like this could be a long tour for the Lankans.....

I dont really understand the logic in picking Chandana ahead of Herath , at least not when they are batting Chandana at number 8 (in other words they've picked him almost exclusively for his bowling , despite Herath being almost undisputedly the better bowler of the two).

This attack just dosent look capable of bowling the Australian's out cheaply to me , Vaas is a class act but he needs support to be a huge threat and it dosent look like he's gonna get it , Malinga is quick but he's been pretty wayward so far , dosent do a lot with the ball and I dont think he'll give this batting lineup to much greif.
Zoyza is looking pedestrian , he can be a handful when conditions suit him but he hasnt got sufficient pace or control to trouble the better batting side's in conditions like these.

Herath has troubled the Australian's in the past and he would've at least added a little bit of substance to the attack , but the spinning options they have gone for in Thilan & Chandana are really not gonna cause an awful lot of problems at this level.

Plus there is just a general lethargic look about them in the field , playing against the best team in the world on the first morning of a test match should generally get you pretty pumped , but apart from Vaas & Jayasuria they dont look overly enthusiastic.

Slow Love™

International Captain
75/2 at lunch - I don't think the Sri Lankans would be too unhappy with that. Man, that Malinga's action is something to behold (and in no way am I implying anything illegal about it!) - it looks like it'd be hell on his back and shoulders though.

Gonna take time to get used to these off-season home series... "Take 5" on at lunch???

Felt sorry for Elliot, but I don't expect him to stay in the side anyhow (and even being from Victoria myself, I still think Love has been hard done by)... If anything, this game will indicate whether he'll ever play for Australia again - and he's got one innings left to make that case.

Slow Love™

International Captain
Sorry, that's "Hi Five" at lunch, not "Take 5". What a weird show - both the guys are camper than a row of tents, and the women are really inappropriately ***ualized... I think I'll arrange to see more of this show as my son gets old enough to watch it. :)

kwigibo

School Boy/Girl Captain
Hoggy said:
At least he is an honest man and walked.
He was caught at 2nd slip! Where was the doubt? That's not a sign of honesty, that's a sign of coherency.

Doing exactly what he did to get dropped the first time, lets hope he hastens his exit in the second innings, assuming there is one.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
we are struggling 3/86, i see a big one for lehmann, and the $14 i got on gilchrist to top score could be in with a chance seeing as though the top 3 all failed...

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
As expected, Sri Lanka just don't have the firepower to sustain a fierce attack. Vaas can't do it all on his own and it's times like these that you wish the chicke... er Muralitharan was on tour.

How did Matt Elliott get out? Poor shot or good ball or both? I must say I'm a bit disappointed he didn't get some runs.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Warne is god said:
What about Hodgie? He's a number 3 and he scored a sh**load more runs last season than Love, give a Victorian a chance. Queensland are half the bloody side.
Queensland are 2/11ths of the bloody side actually.

bennyr

U19 12th Man
Did my ears just deceive me or did Tony Greig, the first man to wear a helmet in international cricket, just say:

"Men were men. Everyone was trying to hit everyone. No helmets in those days."

Slow Love™

International Captain
bennyr said:
Did my ears just deceive me or did Tony Greig, the first man to wear a helmet in international cricket, just say:

"Men were men. Everyone was trying to hit everyone. No helmets in those days."
He's used this line before - it's tongue in cheek. One of the things I like about Grieggy is his ability to laugh at himself. :)

Great over just before lunch from Malinga to Lehmann - he was completely unable to pick his slower ball twice, took his eyes off one bouncer and got hit by the other one. For the most part though, Lehmann's improvised wonderfully, standing well outside leg stump the majority of the time, although he's got to watch himself walking across the wickets.

And then Martyn fell, right on the lunch break. Sri Lanka are still in this game.

Slow Love™

International Captain
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
How did Matt Elliott get out? Poor shot or good ball or both? I must say I'm a bit disappointed he didn't get some runs.
It was a decent outswinger from Vaas, but Elliot's drive at it was pretty careless, particularly so early in his innings.

Hoggy

U19 12th Man
kwigibo said:
He was caught at 2nd slip! Where was the doubt? That's not a sign of honesty, that's a sign of coherency.

Doing exactly what he did to get dropped the first time, lets hope he hastens his exit in the second innings, assuming there is one.
I was making a point at Langer.

Lehmann has just gone, Aussies 5/189 with the skip coming out now with Katich also there on not many.

First time in a long long time that I've seen Darren Lehmann not totally control a bowler, very well bowled by Malinga (the LBW wasn't going to hit the stumps though).

Hoggy

U19 12th Man
Matthew Elliott = infinite times better than Gilchrist.

Caught behind from Malinga. 6/189. Got him with a bouncer.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Posting at 189/6. Lankans are striking form here. They have got Gilchrist, so they're under a lot less pressure. Malinga has also found form, and shouldn't lose it. Chandana was disappointing, for a frontline bowler. Sanath is a much better bowler than Samaraweera, and can do better than Chandana, and he needs to bowl a lot more than these two.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
I hope they don't let the tail off the hook. This is a good chance for them to clean up the tail, something Dilhara can do quite well, though he isn't playing. Malinga is the right man here for the job.

Hoggy

U19 12th Man
Scallywag said:
So your saying that Langer should not have accepted the umpires decision and walked off the field.
Gilchrist would have.

Katich gone for a very soft out caught behind off Vaas.

8/202

Kasprowicz has come in and thinks he is playing Shane Warne Cricket...ooo he got one away for a two over the slips.

Last edited: