• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sri Lanka in Australia thread

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
One more thing, I have not picked up fight with Eddie Unkil, Slow Love, you and many others.

If someone can not be decent while debating and continues to refer me or my post as 'STUPID' then I got to give him/her in kind. If my posts seem stupid to someone, then he/she can ignore it. By continously replying to my posts, they are making a fool and stupid out of themselves and infact they are inciting me to say things I have been saying.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Sanz, you and I think quite differently on fundamental matters - I have no wish to be part of such a discussion again.

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
There was no connection to Muslims in India in the Caddick withdrawal.

The reasoning was proximity and not racially based and it's an utter disgrace that you infer it.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Neil Pickup said:

The reasoning was proximity and not racially based and it's an utter disgrace that you infer it.
It was first said by badgerhair on this very thread. I just said it again. I look forward to CW staff issuing a warning to Badgerhair for making such a disgraceful statement.

"Originally Posted by badgerhair
I look forward to your paeans of praise for Andy Caddick saying he wouldn't go to India because there were too many Muslims there."

http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/showthread.php?p=202322&highlight=muslims#post202322

Look at the similarity of words here, I clearly took it from there. Now I hope you dont start defending Mr. Badgerhair and explain how it was supposed to have meant something else etc. etc.

Last edited:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
I knew it. No I didn't miss the sarcasm, There was a sarcasm in the whole statement where Mr. Badgerhair expected me to Praise 'Caddick' for puling out of India tour, but there is no sarcasm when he stated the reasons for Caddick pulling out of India tour.

"Andy Caddick saying he wouldn't go to India because there were too many Muslims there", <---- No sarcasm there

I look forward to your paeans of praise for Andy Caddick <--- Sarcasm alert.

badgerhair

U19 Vice-Captain
luckyeddie said:
What I am sure Caddick did NOT do was spout some tenuous reason about Muslims. We don't tolerate that sort of thing in England, people lose their cushy broadcasting jobs for saying such things (Robert Kilroy-Silk) and end up getting jobs as career politicians for xenophobic parties.
Actually, he did.

Remember, this was just after the attacks on the WTC and Pentagon, and there was considerable specualtion as to how the Muslims of Pakistan would react to action against the Taliban, and potential repercussions with regard to the simmering conflict on the India-Pakistan border, and what the Muslims in India might do. A great deal of this speculation in Britain was massively ill-informed, largely through ignorance but probably also fuelled by people with specific agendas to peddle.

A lot of silly people said a lot of very silly things at that time, by no means all of them cricketers, and in of his more incoherent interviews, Caddick joined their ranks by saying that what concerned him about going to India was that there were a lot of Muslims there.

Well, it was sort of true, but the fact was that the England team would be at least 500 miles from the northwest frontier where there were certainly thought to be risks, and mostly a great deal further, so it was roughly equivalent to someone refusing to tour England because what was going on in Kosovo might spill over, and was probably partly caused by the fact that 500 miles on a map of India tends to look a bit like the distance between Leeds and Manchester.

Cheers,

Mike

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Neil Pickup said:

I dont want to rub it in but I must say that I stand corrected, at least I didn't infer it that way.

Let me say this for once and all. I do not have any problem with Caddick or any one withdrawing from an Indian tour neither am I fan of Muralitharan's personality or his bowling. But IMHO he has the right to Pull out of any tour he wants to, we should respect his decision and move on.

Everything else I said on this thread should mean nothing and my apologies if anyone is offended.
Now I am done on this thread. Thank you.

badgerhair

U19 Vice-Captain
Sanz said:
Thank You Mr. Badgerhair.
I'd point out that it was a prime example of the complete world-ignorance in which most sportsmen live. It was naivete, not prejudice.

It wasn't that Caddick had anything against Muslims in general, but that he was under the impression that there were a lot of very angry Muslims right about then and he didn't fancy finding himself anywhere near them being violently angry. And he was very ill-informed about where such angry Muslims might actually be found, since the England itinerary didn't go anywhere like that, which was why what he said was so silly.

Cheers,

Mike

Last edited:

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
badgerhair said:
Actually, he did.

Cheers,

Mike
So he's a prat, because it's indefensible in exactly the same way as Robot Killjoy-Slick's outrageous comments a few months ago.

Repeating them doesn't make them any less wrong either.

(no, I'm not pontificating).

ok, I am.

sod everyone.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Neil Pickup said:
I missed that interview, and didn't hear that as the reasoning reported elsewhere.
I never heard it stated period. This might be due to the fact that I was working in Ireland at the time, but that's a hot-bed of cricket anyway so I'd be surprised if it wasn't publicised there.

Legglancer

State Regular
For those who rush to judgement in haste and condemn Murali as a coward ect .... Perhaps, this article will shed some light. ..... but then again sadly, maybe not !

Murali fed up with Australia - Back to Article Index
16 january 2003

Muttiah Muralitharan says he is fed up with Australia and will never tour there again after suffering abuse from loutish fans in Brisbane on Wednesday. Sri Lanka's leading wicket-taker in both Tests and one-day internationals was jeered at the Gabba as he limped off the field with a thigh strain.

Muralitharan said he was angered by continual taunts over his bowling action, believing sections of the crowd were laughing at him when he injured his leg. The incident came at the end of a day-night match which Australia won by four wickets, but in which Murali almost triggered an unlikely win for the tourists.

If he is true to his word, Murali may now have played his last match in the country. His thigh injury will keep him out for a week and Sri Lanka may fail to make the finals of the VB Series if they are beaten by England on Friday. Murali has endured taunts about his bowling action in Australia for the best part of a decade.

Umpire Darrell Hair called him for throwing during the second Test in Melbourne in 1995. Tony McQuillan and Ross Emerson did the same in a one-day game against the West Indies in Brisbane. The situation intensified in the 1998-99 series when Emerson no-balled him from square-leg against England in Adelaide. "I have been barracked since I first took to the field here and it's something that's happened throughout my career, mostly with Australia," said Muralitharan. It's OK once or twice but it's been going on for seven years "I have been disgusted with it and I feel like not touring Australia again."

On Wednesday, Sri Lanka skipper Sanath Jayasuriya had to move Muralitharan from his fielding position in the outfield because he was so affected by the hecklers. "They should keep their mouths shut," Muralitharan said. "The crowd should realize that and if it's going on like that I might not be able to come and play here anymore," he said. Muralitharan's calf muscle strain will be monitored for the rest of the series as Sri Lanka warm up for the World Cup starting in South Africa in February.

Source : BBC Online

Last edited:

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Certainly pre-dates all the Doosra nonsense, L/G.

Let's hope the article is the requisite extinguisher for this thread, and we can get back to (i.e. start) discussing other matters.

(yeah, right)

Legglancer

State Regular
luckyeddie said:
Certainly pre-dates all the Doosra nonsense, L/G.

Let's hope the article is the requisite extinguisher for this thread, and we can get back to (i.e. start) discussing other matters.

(yeah, right)
Well LE I will try not to hope for too much .... 8-)

Scallywag

Banned
Face it Muali is racist against Australians which we have been made aware ever since Broad reported him. I'm glad he is not coming to Australia, Australia went to Sri Lanka and beat them 3-0, so with Murali pulling out of coming to Australia it stands to reason that he just cant take another hiding from Australia.

Weak and pathetic is the only way you can describe his gutless attitude.

kasra

Cricket Spectator
Legglancer said:
Murali fed up with Australia - Back to Article Index
16 january 2003

Muttiah Muralitharan says he is fed up with Australia and will never tour there again after suffering abuse from loutish fans in Brisbane on Wednesday. Sri Lanka's leading wicket-taker in both Tests and one-day internationals was jeered at the Gabba as he limped off the field with a thigh strain.

Muralitharan said he was angered by continual taunts over his bowling action, believing sections of the crowd were laughing at him when he injured his leg. The incident came at the end of a day-night match which Australia won by four wickets, but in which Murali almost triggered an unlikely win for the tourists.

If he is true to his word, Murali may now have played his last match in the country. His thigh injury will keep him out for a week and Sri Lanka may fail to make the finals of the VB Series if they are beaten by England on Friday. Murali has endured taunts about his bowling action in Australia for the best part of a decade.

Umpire Darrell Hair called him for throwing during the second Test in Melbourne in 1995. Tony McQuillan and Ross Emerson did the same in a one-day game against the West Indies in Brisbane. The situation intensified in the 1998-99 series when Emerson no-balled him from square-leg against England in Adelaide. "I have been barracked since I first took to the field here and it's something that's happened throughout my career, mostly with Australia," said Muralitharan. It's OK once or twice but it's been going on for seven years "I have been disgusted with it and I feel like not touring Australia again."

On Wednesday, Sri Lanka skipper Sanath Jayasuriya had to move Muralitharan from his fielding position in the outfield because he was so affected by the hecklers. "They should keep their mouths shut," Muralitharan said. "The crowd should realize that and if it's going on like that I might not be able to come and play here anymore," he said. Muralitharan's calf muscle strain will be monitored for the rest of the series as Sri Lanka warm up for the World Cup starting in South Africa in February.

Source : BBC Online
Thank you for this post. Remember, Australian cricket fans are the only ones who applaud when a sportsman gets injured on field which is what happened to Muralitharan in Brisbane in Jan 2003.