• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sri Lanka in Australia thread

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Sanz said:
YES, are you denying the charge of Calling names to Murali and me just because I dont share your view ??
Where have I called you names?

Sanz said:
Why not ask Mr. Mughabe himself and he will tell you his views about Macgill's stance.
8-)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Sanz said:
I really dont give a **** about Whether or not Gough and Stewart paid for their choice. The fact remains that they pulled out of the tour giving excuses, So did Murali giving his own excuses. You defending them by offering excuses sounds so hypocritical.
They are legitimate understandable reasons...

Sanz said:
How is Hadlee's withdrawl irrelevant here, How is Botham's withdrawal irrelevant ??

Because I never once mentioned them.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Sanz said:
Then I would imagine that being a CW staff member it becomes your duty to call Murali name. So murali is a 1. Coward 2. Chicken 3. Sissy.

Next staff member please...
There is no official Cricket Web policy on anything.

Staff members (with the exception of the ones who started the site) first and foremost are people who have generally shown a little talent as cricket writers (see front page - those things don't write themselves, neither are they 'lifted and re-hashed' from other sources like you see on certain other sites), cricket game or simulation enthusiasts, programmers and the like.

Staff members are unpaid.

Sudeep, as a member of CW forums, has exactly the same right as you to express whatever opinion he wants as long as it isn't abusive or illegal.

I personally think that Murali has every right to not tour, but if he wasn't such a high profile, successful cricketer, he would possibly suffer selection repercussions in the future.

Deja moo

International Captain
marc71178 said:
.MacGill was taking a much-admired stand against Mugabe.

Murali is just a coward.
What MacGill was saying seems to me as " I'm better than all the rest of you Aussie players.You guys want to tour Zim, but I wont cause I have an 'inner voice'."

Slow Love™

International Captain
Surely Kenny's batphone must be lighting up what with all this great material coming from Sanz.

Fact is though, IMO Sanz has a point - there are plenty of players who have pulled out of tours for all sorts of reasons. I don't see why Murali should be singled out for abuse on that level. I don't have a very high opinion of Murali as a cricketer, after he thumbed his nose at the rules of the game so belligerently in Zimbabwe, but I can definitely sympathise with why he wouldn't tour here. In his performances on the field, he's certainly seen some of the worst Australian spectators have to offer. This is without going into the racist crap that gets thrown at him by Australian crowds, too. It was similar for the Indian side, and they seemed to accept it and move on, but I'd never expect somebody to require that attitude about it - I myself would find it unacceptable (and possibly intolerable).

And the fact that they're losers or drunkards doesn't change the fact that Murali has to put up with it. And hey, some Australian cricketers have been responsible for some racially offensive comments too... ya know.

At another forum I visit (at the ABC) back here in Australia, there's already an ugly racist sentiment brewing that takes the form of making offensive comments about Sri Lankans and Sri Lankan culture in general, branching from the (almost constant!) threads about Murali. I don't think it's dominant in Australia, but it's certainly a significant voice.

Can't make sense of all the demonizing of MacGill's "inner voice" by some of the Murali defenders in this thread though - it's called a conscience, and it's something we SHOULD have, folks. If you think there are legitimate reasons for Murali not coming to Australia, couldn't we agree that both of them might have a point?

Linda

International Vice-Captain
Sanz said:
Puhlese..cut that crap. How many times have we seen players from australia, NZ, England skipping the tour of sub-continet for reasons best known to them. Richard Hadlee, Ian Botahm etc come to my mind and I still remember as a Kid how much I wanted to see Hadlee to Play in the World Cup 1987 but he refused to tour India. Recently NZ players opted out of Pakistan tour, Mcgill opted out of Zim tour.

I know you will have an excuse for every one of those incidents.
Puhlese. I dont even have to answer stupid questions anymore (re: about 5 pages ago), Marc does it for me.

How did you know people would have an excuse for these "incidents", Sanz?! Because they are not a reasonable comparison.

Its Murali's reasons for not touring, not the act itself, that dissapoints me the most.

Linda

But back to topic:
I really dont see how Symonds is a good replacement for Williams. If you're going to pick an allrounder to do that, then at least pick someone who can bowl... ie Watson.
Or, just pick another fast bowler :blink:

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Linda said:
But back to topic:
I really dont see how Symonds is a good replacement for Williams. If you're going to pick an allrounder to do that, then at least pick someone who can bowl... ie Watson.
Or, just pick another fast bowler :blink:
Well considering Symonds is probably a better bowler than Williams it probably makes sense...

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Id prefer Watson over Symonds due to the fact he would be replacing a fast bowler, lets face it, who ever gets picked is purely there to bowl in the nets.

Linda

Mister Wright said:
Well considering Symonds is probably a better bowler than Williams it probably makes sense...
I thought some chum might chime in with that :)

Sudeep

International Captain
Sanz said:
On the same note MURALITHARAN has the right to OPT OUT OF ANY TOUR HE WANTS.

It's just so funny that some people get so defensive and start parroting about their rights to express their mind on a silly little provocation but at the same time they dont want Muralitharan (who has been provoked, heckled, abused so many times) to exercise his right or speak out his mind and start calling him names (Coward, Sissy, Chicken come to mind ) the moment he chooses to do so.
:thumbdown
Because I don't think his decision is justified.

Just like you don't think my views are.

Sudeep

International Captain
Ok, let's get this straight.

I agree Murali has every right to NOT tour.

But to me, it seems a move which hardly any other cricketer would take, because of a problem with a section of a crowd.

If he really wanted to prove a point, he should have rather toured, taken a five-for in each and every innings, and silence them.

Sudeep

International Captain
I'm not anti-Murali, I'm just arguing with Sanz here.

He said that the crowd chanting "No Ball" everytime Murali bowls affects his rythm.

We are talking about the highest wicket-taker in Test cricket. Why should such a matter bother someone, who according to the stats is one of the greatest bowlers ever to step on the cricket field?