• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sri Lanka in Australia thread

Legglancer

State Regular
Murali, John Howard and Sri Lanka Cricket

By Arjuna Ranatunga

The Oracle has spoken at last, not from Delphi but from Sydney. It comes in the form of a verdict of Prime Minister John Howard of Australia that Murali does throw. His verdict had to come sooner or later. Why it did not come sooner is a mystery, probably may be for lack of a proper opportunity. Politicians, the world over, are an obdurate species who feel that they should have the final say on any issue and are obtuse enough to think that their world is sacrosanct. John Howard is no exception. Otherwise it is very difficult to explain why he should express contrary to a decision given by the panel of experts of the ICC that Murali's action is legitimate.

Even the scientifically analysed disclosure that Murali, due to a defect at birth, cannot straighten his elbow is ignored by him. Australian cricketers of the calibre of Allan Border the Chappel brothers; Steven Waugh and Shane Warne, his only rival, have seen no problems in Murali's action
and praised his bowling efforts. Apparently, to conclude from John Howard's statement these cricketers do not know what they speak about. One is left to wonder why the ICC did not in the first instance solicit John Howard's opinion. After all Australia leads the rest of the world in both versions of the game of cricket and John Howard leads Australia. What better opinion can the ICC get.

The only point to wonder is why Murali is singled out for this treatment. One in ten of the bowlers around the world have doubtful deliveries and this includes the Australians. Why their bowling action is not subject to the same scrutiny is a mystery. May be because Murali represents a small developing country in the third world which can easily be bettered and bruised.

The supine attitude of the 'Sri Lankan Cricket' administration also defies explanation. These supermen apparently 'see nothing' 'hear nothing' and 'speak nothing'. Perhaps it is safer and more lucrative to adopt this posture which will not deprive them of the expensive junkets abroad at the expense of Sri Lankan cricket. They very well know that it is only by bending before their 'Masters' that they can pick up the crumbs. One cannot otherwise explain why they cannot pick up the issue of all other bowlers whose deliveries are suspect. Murali has been singled out for censure even when cleared by the ICC experts committee. All other bowlers with suspect actions a carry on regardless. No one has the backbone to question their bowling actions. Not even 'Sri Lanka Cricket'. The Sri Lankan Cricket officials act as if only to prove and confirm that they are fossils whose only concern is self interest.

Finally, a concluding comment about the mighty Howard. It is said that 'fools rush in where angels fear to tread'. It is time that John Howard takes heed of this well known adage and not speak with his foot in his mouth. It can only bring his respected position as Prime Minister of his country into disrepute. This much he owes to his great country. As for Murali, he should ignore these senile remarks and concentrate on his cricket. He should tour Australia with his head held high, conscious of the fact that he is the greatest bowler of the century; and honour bestowed on him by
the renowned 'Wisden', the best available authority on cricket.

Slow Love™

International Captain
Sudeep said:
If he really wanted to prove a point, he should have rather toured, taken a five-for in each and every innings, and silence them.
I don't see how that would prove a point though. What point would it prove exactly? And how would it silence the crowd? Taking more wickets than any other cricketer certainly didn't do it. And if anything, taking 26-odd wickets in the last series against Australia just made them shout louder.

It's not Murali's ability to take wickets that's at question. While I don't buy that it's purely his success that has brought about the controversy over his action (as evidenced by the fact that he was singularly unimpressive back when he was first called out here in '96), it certainly hasn't done anything to STOP the criticism.

badgerhair

U19 Vice-Captain
Legglancer said:
Murali, John Howard and Sri Lanka Cricket

By Arjuna Ranatunga
He should tour Australia with his head held high, conscious of the fact that he is the greatest bowler of the century; an honour bestowed on him by the renowned 'Wisden', the best available authority on cricket.
What on earth does this mean?

Which century, and in which edition of Wisden was this statement made? It does not appear to be in any copy I have, and I doubt it appeared before 1978, the most recent Wisden I don't have.

Cheers,

Mike

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
badgerhair said:

Which century, and in which edition of Wisden was this statement made? It does not appear to be in any copy I have, and I doubt it appeared before 1978, the most recent Wisden I don't have.

Cheers,

Mike
I don't know whether this link clarifies matters, Mike - it seems to relate to something similar here. To tell the truth, I really couldn't care less about it any more.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
a massive zebra said:
Or in reality, because you are anti-Murali.
Darren Gough didn't pull out of all home Tests because of being called 'Gough the scoff'... He is basically chickening out because of being called names. Take it!!!

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
They are legitimate understandable reasons...
Really, Let's see Graham thorpe's 'Personal reasons' is a legitimate and understandable reason whereas Murali's 'Personal reasons' is not.

Andy Caddick pulling out of Indian Tour because of a war on Terror in Afghanistan and because there are so many muslims in India.I am sure that's an understable excuse too. what next are england players will pull out of every game against India because there are too many muslims Playing in Indian team ?? :laugh: :laugh: (I wonder he didn't have any problem with playing under muslim Nasir Hussain)

Chickens.

Slow Love™

International Captain
badgerhair said:

Cheers,

Mike
I think it was somewhere around December 2002. Bradman (obviously) was named the greatest batsman in the history of the game, and Muralitharan beat out Richard Hadlee for the "bowler of the century" title.

Slow Love™

International Captain
Sanz said:
Andy Caddick pulling out of Indian Tour because of a war on Terror in Afghanistan and because there are so many muslims in India.I am sure that's an understable excuse too. what next are england players will pull out of every game against India because there are too many muslims Playing in Indian team ?? :laugh: :laugh: (I wonder he didn't have any problem with playing under muslim Nasir Hussain)
The last part in parentheses pretty much answers the (smearing) accusation you make of Caddick. Incidentally, I missed this. DID Caddick cite the war on terror as a reason for pulling out of a tour of India?

Also, as a quick "take home" tip, it doesn't really pay to raise a "where will it end?" argument when you're trying to DEFEND Murali's decision not to tour for his own reasons.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
From memory, Caddick and a few other English players pulled out of the Indian tour due to growing tensions in Pakistan & Afgahnastan against anyone allied. I can't remember though anything about any English player pulling out of the tour due to religious concerns.

P.S. Slow Love, have a look in the Off Topic section.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Sanz said:
Eddie, No matter how disgraceful, Isn't that a fact ?
I don't think it is.

My feelings on the matter (racism and/or religious intolerance), I think you already know.

I suggest that you either substantiate such a statement (the religious reasons for Caddick's refusal to make himself available) or withdraw it. On this occasion, there is NO middle ground.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Slow Love™ said:
The last part in parentheses pretty much answers the (smearing) accusation you make of Caddick. Incidentally, I missed this. DID Caddick cite the war on terror as a reason for pulling out of a tour of India?

Also, as a quick "take home" tip, it doesn't really pay to raise a "where will it end?" argument when you're trying to DEFEND Murali's decision not to tour for his own reasons.
Caddick did indeed cite 'security reasons' for missing the 2001/02 tour, but I suppose one reason is as good as another.

Me, I was a brave lad. I flew at least another 100 times after 911 - but it was only to Ireland.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Linda said:
Puhlese. I dont even have to answer stupid questions anymore (re: about 5 pages ago), Marc does it for me.

How did you know people would have an excuse for these "incidents", Sanz?! Because they are not a reasonable comparison.

Its Murali's reasons for not touring, not the act itself, that dissapoints me the most.
Yeah Linda, you dont have to answer my legitimate posts. You have to go to the stadium and start abusing remaining Sri Lankan Players. That way you will only have Lankan school kids representing SL in their tours to Australia.

I am sure Murali's decision to not tour because of fans like you is dissapointing to you, but the behaviour of your own fans isn't dissapointing to you. Accept it that you people are just mad at Murali because he took away your chance to heckle him, abuse him and insult him at every step during the tour. I know it hurts you all too much to know that a simple man from a tiny little island has taken more wickets than an Australian Spinner.

How do you know what are Murali's reasons are ?? He has said 'Personal Reasons', Give a rest to your assumptions .

Last edited:

Andre

International Regular
Speaking of schoolkids, Sanz, you're behaving like one.

Get back on the topic of the Test series and stop inciting battle with everyone. Take this as a warning.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
luckyeddie said:
I don't think it is.

My feelings on the matter (racism and/or religious intolerance), I think you already know.

I suggest that you either substantiate such a statement (the religious reasons for Caddick's refusal to make himself available) or withdraw it. On this occasion, there is NO middle ground.
What else could be the reason ? War on terror was in Afghanistan not in India. If flying was the reason, well he did fly to NZ to play a series only after a couple of months of India tour and war on Terror was still on ??

Eddie, Can anyone here prove that Murali has stayed away from this tour for the fear of being called again for chucking ?? Only Murali (and probably his mom) knows why he has stayed away from the tour.

I have no problem in deleting my posts, but would you ask others ,who have been accusing Murali but cant really prove their allegations, to delete their posts as well ??

Last edited:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Andre said:
Speaking of schoolkids, Sanz, you're behaving like one.

Get back on the topic of the Test series and stop inciting battle with everyone. Take this as a warning.
Okay Andre, I promise, I will join the bandwagon and now onwards I promise to start accusing, abuse and heckle murali every time I see him getting ready to bowl. Murali is a Chicken, He is a Sissy, He has proved that he is a Coward be refusing to tour Australia.

I hope I have done enough to have my warning removed.

Thank You, Sanz

Last edited:

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Sanz said:
What else could be the reason ? War on terror was in Afghanistan not in India. If flying was the reason, well he did fly to NZ to play a series only after a couple of months of India tour and war on Terror was still on ??

Eddie, Can anyone here prove that Murali has stayed away from this tour for the of being called again for chucking ?? Only Murali (and probably his mom) knows why he has stayed away from the tour.

I have no problem in deleting my posts, but would you ask others ,who have been accusing Murali but cant really prove their allegations, to delete their posts as well ??
There might well be a misconception on Caddick's behalf with respect to the geographical location of the 'War on Terror' - most Americans for example still see a connection between 911 and a certain person found in a spiderhole, so I'm sure that can be forgiven. Maybe he looked at the scheduled flight-path of flights between London and Mumbai and saw they go over Saudi Arabia (do they? The last time I went, I flew via Istanbul), I am only guessing.

What I am sure Caddick did NOT do was spout some tenuous reason about Muslims. We don't tolerate that sort of thing in England, people lose their cushy broadcasting jobs for saying such things (Robert Kilroy-Silk) and end up getting jobs as career politicians for xenophobic parties.

Andre

International Regular
Dissing the mods week was last week.

I don't have a problem with your opinion, but what I do have a problem with is the way you are picking battles with the other members of the forum about it and the differant circumstances of each withdrawal.

BTW - count yourself lucky that I haven't mentioned your Caddick outburst - yet.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Andre, That's enough now, stop humiliating me;). I can not praise Caddick for his decision to pull out of India tour. Dont tell me that Caddick visits this forum and I have incited him as well.

Eddie - Did you know that Caddick travelled to India to play couple of ODIs in 2001 ? He pulled out of the Test series only. Now, It seems to me that Caddick waited for his team mates to go there and play for couple of months and once he realized that there is no such security threat in India and Muslims in India aren't really the type he was thinking of, he decided to tour. BTW he travelled to India on the same route.