• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sri Lanka in Australia thread

Legglancer

State Regular
By T. Samat

Arguments based on the noble principles of sport would say it is wrong. The contradiction to Pierre De Coubertin's Olympian spirit apart, Muralitharan's refusal to play in Australia, it will be argued, would tantamount to disregarding his moral obligations and responsibilities to the game as

a/ holder of the highest Test wicket taker record,

b/ the most valuable member of his country's team

c/to the host country and followers of the game worldwide.

These lofty principles, one might suspect, are beyond the comprehension of Muralitharan, a young man so totally lost in his love for the game that nothing else quite matters. His life has been all about using his wizardry to trap batsmen and, one imagines, at the end of the day, jotting down each new victim in some ledger _ with about the same delight as a kid adding to his collection of butterflies. He resides in a world of innocence and honest endeavour. So, to be accused of dishonesty can be painfully unnerving. Muralitharan's unwillingness to play in Australia has to be seen from that personal viewpoint.

There's no disguising where Australia lies on Muralitharan's preferred list of Test venues. Past experiences, no doubt, have made it the least likeable country he would want to play in. Those experiences might be old hat, but the scars left by the traumatic experiences of 1995 and '98 are too deep for the passage of time to heal. The humiliation of being ''called" in public, after all, isn't easy to forget _ which is what those who say he should tour Australia want him to do. It is easy to say, as Warne did, that Muralitharan ought to be thick-skinned and just go out there and play _ and not mind past bitter memories.

One thick-skinned to another that might be a bit of sound advice, but human psychology can't be conditioned by anyone's prescription. Your mind is as different as your fingerprint is from the man next door. Clearly, the hurt inflicted on Muralitharan in Australia has left a bad imprint on his mind. Then, any chance the issue might have a "forgive and forget" resolution was sundered by the recent reopening of the old wounds of 1995 and '98 by match referee Chris Broad. On top of that the SLC as good as tells Muralitharan ''go make up your mind yourself". It's not quite the stand a
responsible governing body should be taking, but it suggests

a/ Muralitharan's decision isn't negotiable or

b/ SLC's timidity to argue the bowler's case with the ICC _ or both.

If it is reason A, it's understandable as there's ample evidence to be suspicious of Australia, the source of all his troubles. Only two umpires have ''called" him, and both Australians _ Hair and Emerson in 1995 and '98, respectively. Then, there has been much rumour that match referee Broad's report (leading to the outlawing of his doosra) was influenced by Australia. This rumour ought to be dismissed as. well, only a rumour. But that the doosra was reported to the ICC during a series against, whom else but Australia, and at a moment when the Sri Lankan was poised to surpass Walsh's world record before Warne, inevitably, inspired a theory of conspiracy hatched by two white countries. PM Howard's insensitive remark was fuel to the fire.

Conspiracies, however, are only imagination's deductions. speculations. But this much is certain: it has only gone to deepen Muralitharan's suspicions of Australia. This is not to say it is a good reason why the star bowler shouldn't tour Australia. But his fears that he might be subjected to further humiliation can't be shrugged off as hallucinations. The naming of Broad again as match referee doesn't help dispel his fears, either.

Broad's appointment as match referee, opponents will argue, just happens to be a coincidence. But that is not how Muralitharan, and his supporters, like to see it. Rather, it represents a continuing campaign by his ''enemies" to hound him out of the game and expunge his name from the record books. Try telling them these fears are without foundation and they'll remind you of Australian Ian Healy's recent wish: a re-examination of Muralitharan's other deliveries now that his doosra has been found to bend the law.

Would Broad grant Healy's wish? The question might be mischievously far-fetched, but Muralitharan's suspicion of Australia is so deep that you can't expect his sense of rationality to be the same as ours. He, after all, is the one who has suffered pain of mind.

So opting out of the July series wouldn't be such a difficult decision to make. To make up his mind to revisit the land of all his troubles, however, is a far tougher thing to do. If he does, he would've, in public eyes, climbed to a higher pedestal. It would prove that the mental strength that had helped him battle through past troubles remains unimpaired and that he won't be intimated out of the game, which he suspects is what his opponents wish would happen.

Someone also ought to remind him that his doosra is under only a restraining order, not a ban. As well, that the whole world isn't against him, and that he has two invaluable supporters in the present Australian coach and last captain, no less. Indian players and commentators have come out in his defence, and there's little doubt the Pakistanis would do the same. It won't be very long before the ICC, based on the recommendations of its review committee, rules on the legitimacy or otherwise of the doosra. There's no denying that there's an abundance of sympathy for Muralitharan, which would run the risk of erosion should he turn his back on the tour. More damagingly, his critics would interpret his absence as an admission of his own doubts about his bowling action.

These are traumatizing times for Muralitharan. It is unfortunate that the SLC has left him alone with his problems, though one hopes that, behind the scenes it is doing all it can to persuade him to change his mind and join the tour party _ which is, after all, the right thing to do as the game's governing authority. SLC ought to be working on allaying Muralitharan's fears _ for instance, appoint an advisor, perhaps the likes of Arjuna Ranatunga, to the tour party who can be a confidant to Muralitharan. As well, put in place a plan of action in the event of Muralitharan's worst fears become true.

SLC better face up to the fact that Sri Lanka without its world record bowler would be much like a one-armed boxer. The damage to our image would be incalculable. SLC, so, can't choose to sit on its hands and leave it all to Muralitharan. That is as good as washing its hand off the problem. It better start working on changing the bowler's decision _ because its responsibility is to ensure the best represent the country. And Muralitharan is the best in the world. His doosra as of yet isn't officially banned. So, SLC's hands-off approach is difficult to understand. Should we now hear talk of enemies within plotting Muralitharan's downfall? That wouldn't be surprising.

Last edited:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
luckyeddie said:
Are you still rattling on about this nonsense, Sanz?

I think they've all gone home (like Murali)
Ahh, If I dont agree with yer view, it becomes nonsense, doesn't it ?

Anyways, Dont worry they will come back again to post more of their nonsense.

Legglancer - Good article.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Sanz said:

Anyways, Dont worry they will come back again to post more of their nonsense.

Legglancer - Good article.
I don't think you have much of a clue what my view is - or if you do, you're not particularly interested in it anyway, because it's quite moderate (there's a thing - someone who doesn't hold an extreme pro- or anti- Murali view).

DJellett

International Debutant
***UPDATE***
All rounder to replace Williams

CA today announced that they are looking to include an all-rounder in place of injured paceman Brad Williams. Uncapped player Shane Watson is expected to take the place, with Andrew Symonds next in the selector's sights.
Chairman of selectors Trevor Hohns said "we usally swap like for like, but this is a good oppurtunity to trial an all rounder for the tour of India."
Other outside hopes of taking Williams' spot are NSW quick Matthew Nicholson, last years leading Pura Cup wicket taker, with Paul Rofe and Ian Harvey slim chances for the 2 Test series begging next month.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Interesting stuff reguarding Murali.. I can why he made his decision... However Ive got very little respect from him, and he shouldnt really be touring anyway considering his "all doosras blazing" attitude he had in Zimbabwe.... However can't help but feel sorry for the bloke as an international cricketer...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Sanz said:
Well what is pathetic to you is very reasonable to me. It still is better than 'INNER VOICE' reason to opt out of a tour.
Is this one of the most blinkered posts ever?

MacGill has taken a stand that could very well cost him his International future and potentially a large proportion of his income - will you next say that Olonga and Flower had less reason to make their stand than the chicken from Kandy?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Sanz said:
1. Yes Richard Hadlee didn't tour India in 1987 due to Terrorist Threat as well
2. Daren Gough refused to tour India in 2001 because he was exhausted by defeats in Ashes
3. Alec Stewart missed the same tour to be with his family
4. Andy Caddick refused because of terrorism in India.

There are many more examples..I think most of the reasons were pathetic but I have no problems with their decisions, If a player doesn't want to play in India, It is his problem, he is the one who is going to miss out on a great experience and series. I wont call him chicken.
Except I was clearly referring to New Zealanders in Pakistan, making the Hadlee comment irrelevant.

And players missing because of burnout is understandable in this day and age (as both Stewart and Gough did - incidentally they paid for their choice, Gough with his career)

You cannot equate that with Murali.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Sanz said:
No, constant is one section of crowd booing him everytime he is getting ready to roll his arm.
One whole section?

Wow, so you can prove that it is a body of x thousand people and not a minority in the crowd can you?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Sanz said:
Well Calling names isn't going to help your cause.
You're denying the charge of being blinkered?!

Sanz said:
If you ask Taibu that, he would definately not agree with you.

I imagine that would depend on whether Mugabe and his henchmen are nearby...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Sanz said:
Some more exmples of players pulling out of scheduled tours for no reasons :-

1. Graham Thorpe Pulled out of Zimbabwe & SA tour in 1999
2. Brian Lara Pulled out of England tour in 2000
3. Brian Lara Pulled out of australia tour in 1995
Somewhat ironically you yourself have followed this post up with one explaining why Lara initially pulled out of the 2000 tour - yet you claim it was for no reason?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Sanz said:
Let me re-write my statement,

"Whole world (including me) thinks that Murali is a Chucker and he shouldn't be playing cricket or should be banned from playing cricket."

I hope it makes sense.
No, because it still generalises the fact that the whole world thinks he chucks.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Sanz said:

No, it becomes nonsense when you continually contradict yourself and make baseless allegations to try and back your flimsy excuse for an argument up.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
Is this one of the most blinkered posts ever?

MacGill has taken a stand that could very well cost him his International future and potentially a large proportion of his income - will you next say that Olonga and Flower had less reason to make their stand than the chicken from Kandy?
What International Future you are talking about ?? Macgill has no International Future ater Warnie's return. I couldn't care less about Stuart Macgill's hypocritical stance when he knew very well that he wouldn't be selected for the tour If warnie was available. He should stand for elections in, he would be very successful.

It's funny that you compare Stuart Macgill's stance to Flower and Olonga's. Macgill was just to happy to play against Zimbabwe at home.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
No, it becomes nonsense when you continually contradict yourself and make baseless allegations to try and back your flimsy excuse for an argument up.
No, You are the one who is continously making baseless allegations and calling names to Murali. You can not prove your allegations, can you ??

Murali is within his rights to refuse to tour any country esp If the Prime Minister of that Country is an IDIOT and hostile towards him.

You should look into mirror and try to find an excuse for England players refusing to tour India in 2001. Somuch hypocrisy and double standards. I hope Murali refuses to tour England as well. :D

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
Somewhat ironically you yourself have followed this post up with one explaining why Lara initially pulled out of the 2000 tour - yet you claim it was for no reason?
Yeah, If his mother was really sick, How come she recovered overnight, Didn't she ?? :D

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
You're denying the charge of being blinkered?!
YES, are you denying the charge of Calling names to Murali and me just because I dont share your view ??

marc71178 said:
I imagine that would depend on whether Mugabe and his henchmen are nearby...
Why not ask Mr. Mughabe himself and he will tell you his views about Macgill's stance.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
One whole section?

Wow, so you can prove that it is a body of x thousand people and not a minority in the crowd can you?
When have I said that they are the majority ?? Stop putting words into my mouth. It can be a minority but a very vocal one.