• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pura Cup

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Eclipse said:
He has made some big scores in u19 cricket batting at number 6 at least 2 100s that I know of.
U19 Cricket means absolutely nothing.

Was it around 1998 that England won the U19 WC?

Of that squad, about 4 have played International Cricket (Key, Shah, Franks, Schofield)

A fair few aren't even playing FC Cricket.

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Still, shows the guy can hold a bat.

England's 1998 U19 Squad

Owais Shah (Captain) - Middlesex (22-10-78)
Paul Franks (Vice Captain) - Nottinghamshire (03-02-79)
Ian Flanagan - Essex (05-06-80)
Michael Gough - Durham (18-12-79)
Jamie Grove - Essex (03-07-79)
Giles Haywood - Sussex (08-09-79)
Robert Key - Kent (12-05-79)
Aaron Laraman - Middlesex (10-01-79)
Richard Logan - Northamptonshire (28-01-80)
Graham Napier - Essex (06-01-80)
Stephen Peters - Essex (10-12-78)
Jonathan Powell - Essex (13-06-79)
Christopher Schofield - Lancashire (06-10-78)
Graeme Swann - Northamptonshire (24-03-79)
Nicholas Wilton - Sussex/MCC (23-09-78)

Australia's

Michael Klinger
Dean Burke
Ben Oliver
Tim Anderson
James Hopes
Michael Miller
Scott Kremerskothen
Sean Clingeleffer
Scott French
Shannon Tubb
Marcus North
Travis Borlace
Steven Busbridge
Chris Davies
Dominic Thornely
Darren Wotherspoon

marc71178 said:
So how can they be ready for Test Cricket then?
Well, first of all, I never out and out said that Watson or Hauritz were ready for test cricket. I consider a huge innings being 200+, that's about fair, don't you think? I think that you do not need to be capable of playing a huge innings to be a good batsman, especially at such young ages. Mark Waugh, for example, his top test score was 153*, but he is considered one of the greats of the game.
I think young players, however, can still play useful innings and warrant their test spot, because more often than not they would not be holding up the top order, and they can make useful runs in the lower order to start. Ricky Ponting came into the test side at a pretty young age, and it wasn't that long ago that he was batting 5 and lower. He learned his stuff all the way down there and he has turned into arguably the best number 3 going around.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
furious_ged said:
Well, first of all, I never out and out said that Watson or Hauritz were ready for test cricket. I consider a huge innings being 200+, that's about fair, don't you think? I think that you do not need to be capable of playing a huge innings to be a good batsman, especially at such young ages. Mark Waugh, for example, his top test score was 153*, but he is considered one of the greats of the game.
I think young players, however, can still play useful innings and warrant their test spot, because more often than not they would not be holding up the top order, and they can make useful runs in the lower order to start. Ricky Ponting came into the test side at a pretty young age, and it wasn't that long ago that he was batting 5 and lower. He learned his stuff all the way down there and he has turned into arguably the best number 3 going around.
Mark Waugh is one of the rare consistent players in both tests and ODIs to have a higher ODI top score than a higher test score.

Eclipse

International Debutant
marc71178 said:
U19 Cricket means absolutely nothing.

Was it around 1998 that England won the U19 WC?

Of that squad, about 4 have played International Cricket (Key, Shah, Franks, Schofield)

A fair few aren't even playing FC Cricket.
I know it does not mean all that much but it does not mean nothing.

Any way he does have some unforfiled batting talent in him.

Andy Flower has done like Sachin Tendulkar against Victoria, he's worked himself in slowly and now he's speeding up. He looks like he could take the Queenslanders apart. It'd be nice if he did, he's been such a disappointment with the bat this season.

Mister Wright

Rule 13.1 of the Pura Cup playing conditions states:
Should any player during a match be required by Cricket Australia
for
playing duties elsewhere, that requirement shall take precedence.
The player's State Association will then be able to select a like
player
as the replacement for the remainder of the match concerned.

-
Therefore ....
AUSTRALIAN and Retravision Warriors fast-bowler Brad Williams will
miss the final session of the Pura Cup match between WA and
Tasmania.
The WACA Selectors have chosen Ben Edmondson to replace Williams
for the final session of the match. Edmondson is an express fast-
bowler that arrived in Perth last Friday from Queensland. He had
previously played for the Queensland Second XI.
Edmondson moved to WA to further his chances of playing State
cricket. He came over at the invitation of the South Perth Cricket
Club. He took 3-41 from 13 overs for South Perth last Saturday in
the local grade comp: the Vodafone Cup.

Score update:

Tasmania require another 357 runs with 8 wickets and 67.4 overs remaining

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
Match update - Tassie failed by one run in winning. Match ends in a draw. So close but yet so far. That Queenslander Edmondson who just arrived was the hero. He took 3/47 and kept the runs down in the final over. Daniel Marsh scored 111 not out off 96 balls.

Last edited:
My thoughts on WA v Tas:
1. Impressive debut from Edmondson.
2. Smart declaration from Hussey, gave himself time to bowl them out without Tassie having enough time to score (just.. but still, perfect declaration)
3. Spectacular century from Marsh, kept Tassie going with Dighton
4. WA batting looks as good in the Pura Cup now as they are in the ING cup. Hussey finally cashed in, Goodwin as good as ever, North and Rogers fantastic support in the top order.
5. Casson should have played instead of Hogg, who is too unpredictable. Perhaps more erratic but on the whole a better player.
6. Wright's batting was better than his bowling.. WTF?!? :O
7. Sean Marsh showed some of the promise that took people by storm last season, very good to see.
8. Shane Watson continuing to improve as a top order batsman and a good anchor to the innings.
9. Keep an eye on Marcus North, he's good :wow:

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
furious_ged said:
My thoughts on WA v Tas:
1. Impressive debut from Edmondson.
2. Smart declaration from Hussey, gave himself time to bowl them out without Tassie having enough time to score (just.. but still, perfect declaration)
3. Spectacular century from Marsh, kept Tassie going with Dighton
4. WA batting looks as good in the Pura Cup now as they are in the ING cup. Hussey finally cashed in, Goodwin as good as ever, North and Rogers fantastic support in the top order.
5. Casson should have played instead of Hogg, who is too unpredictable. Perhaps more erratic but on the whole a better player.
6. Wright's batting was better than his bowling.. WTF?!? :O
7. Sean Marsh showed some of the promise that took people by storm last season, very good to see.
8. Shane Watson continuing to improve as a top order batsman and a good anchor to the innings.
9. Keep an eye on Marcus North, he's good :wow:
6/ Damien Wright is quite good with the bat. Not brilliant, but almost into the allrounder area.

Linda

International Vice-Captain
I wouldnt say Hogg was unpredictable. He bowled quite well, except, I dunno, he almost seemed reluctant to do what Hussey wanted in the feild. No joke, he was always being asked to move from where he was. And I mean, ALWAYS!

Ben Edmundson was so impressive, and it was really good to see the Warriors welcome him in the way they did, apparently some of them had never met him before he came onto the ground. He was put on as soon as possible and given a real go, which he did really well.
He also bowled that last over, 7 runs from 6 balls!! Alot of pressure for a young kid on debut, wouldnt you say?!:O

Mister Wright

Linda said:
I wouldnt say Hogg was unpredictable. He bowled quite well, except, I dunno, he almost seemed reluctant to do what Hussey wanted in the feild. No joke, he was always being asked to move from where he was. And I mean, ALWAYS!

Ben Edmundson was so impressive, and it was really good to see the Warriors welcome him in the way they did, apparently some of them had never met him before he came onto the ground. He was put on as soon as possible and given a real go, which he did really well.
He also bowled that last over, 7 runs from 6 balls!! Alot of pressure for a young kid on debut, wouldnt you say?!:O
Yes...even those Queenslanders who can't make the Queensland squad are exceptional.