• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pura Cup

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
furious_ged said:
Again Martin Love getting a start and failing to go on. For someone who is supposed to be the backbone of the batting order he sure is fairweather.

I wonder for how much longer the selectors will be interested in him...
Someone call a doctor! :D

furious_ged suffers from short-term memory loss...wasn't it only two weeks ago that Love scored 300*?

Oh...and Michael Clarke, who is supposed to be a magician with the bat and can score runs anywhere in any situation, didn't he only get 3 on the weekend in the ING? Hmmm....wonder how long the selectors will be interested in him?

Yeah it was two weeks ago, and what's he done since then? Get starts and apart from that, nothing.

*Once again it seems I have hit a nerve with Mr Wright for my lack of respect for Martin Love*

Mister Wright

furious_ged said:
Yeah it was two weeks ago, and what's he done since then? Get starts and apart from that, nothing.

*Once again it seems I have hit a nerve with Mr Wright for my lack of respect for Martin Love*
You are exactly right, one score does not make a summer, but neither does the next three. There is a long summer ahead with plenty of pura cup games and an Australia A game. With Martin Love there is always a century around the corner. I doubt he can have as excellent summer as he did last year, but he will still be consistent enough to keep his name infront of the selectors, and if he doesn't then he doesn't deserve his spot. I can only remember Love having one bad first class season, he has been one of (if not the) most consistent batsman over the last 6 years. How can you not respect a batsman who has scored one triple century and 4 (maybe more) double centuries in the last 13 months?

I was one of those people who doubted Micheal Clarke, but after seeing him in the one dayers I think he has potential, but I still want to see if he has another consistent season.

I'm gonna agree with you on that. It's pretty obvious that I want Michael Clarke in the test team, and I know he's gonna get there, but at the moment I'm torn. I want to see him get a run but I don't want to see him exposed when he's not ready. Love has some Pura Cup matches under his belt already this season and that's what I'd like to see Clarke get rather than getting some token entry into the test team. I think besides the triple century Love scored, as far as I know he's had a fairly inauspicious start to the Pura Cup. Clarke hasn't had any matches, so really neither one of them should make the test team at the moment. But I desperately want him to get some of the Pura Cup games soon so we can see if he's still got it (personally I think he can do better this year than last year).

Should be interesting once Waugh's spot is vacated.

Having had a look at the QLD vs SA scorecard, QLD have the longest f***ing batting lineup I have ever seen in my life. Kasprowicz is number 11 and he's really no slouch with the bat. He has FC and OD averages of around 18 and 15 respectively.

Kind of disappointed they didn't make 700 now!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
furious_ged said:
I want to see him get a run but I don't want to see him exposed when he's not ready.
a) if he's not ready, why do you keep calling for him to be picked?
b) If he were as good as people have said, then how will he be exposed?

furious_ged said:
Should be interesting once Waugh's spot is vacated.
I expect that Lehmann (if fit) will come in and Clarke will still be 2nd reserve batsman (at best)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
furious_ged said:
Having had a look at the QLD vs SA scorecard, QLD have the longest f***ing batting lineup I have ever seen in my life. Kasprowicz is number 11 and he's really no slouch with the bat.
Yet Hauritz is 10, and is no great shakes - strange line up.

marc71178 said:
a) if he's not ready, why do you keep calling for him to be picked?
b) If he were as good as people have said, then how will he be exposed?
a) I said earlier (or in some other thread) I want to see him play, but I'm torn because I don't know if he's ready for test cricket. No one knows, really. I don't want him to become Damien Martyn #2
b) He is good. He is very good, and in all likelihood he would succeed, but I assume that coming from me that is biased and maybe not very impartial at all :)

Well in that case it deserves an answer like this:
If he's as good as people say then he won't be exposed, if he isn't then he will be.

I said, I think he'll succeed, but noone really knows do they? I think he'd be a good test player, but I've not seen him play a test so I rely on the aspects of his game that I have seen and come to love. Anyone who has not played a test could potentially be exposed if they're not ready, there's not much to gauge it on as yet. Does that answer it?

Eclipse

International Debutant
marc71178 said:
Yet Hauritz is 10, and is no great shakes - strange line up.
Huritz is a good prospect as a batsman. he has not done that much yet in the FC arena because he has really concerntrated on his bowling but he is quite a talented batsman.

He has made some big scores in u19 cricket batting at number 6 at least 2 100s that I know of.

I don't have a problem with Hauritz' batting. I saw him play for Australia 'A' earlier this year and he tonked 31* off 24, got them to a competetive total. Second in the individual scores only to Brad Hodge.

Last edited:

Mister Wright

Hauritz is an allrounder - he just doesn't realise it yet. If anyone saw him smack around the Victorian attack in a recent one-dayer with one leg when his fellow more noted batsman couldn't get the ball off the square will be testament to his batting ability.

Too right, Mr Wright. I used to think Hauritz was a talented tailender, but he isn't just a defensive player, he's able to go on the attack, he has a good head on his shoulders and he has a nice array of shots, plus he can post big scores, which is an integral part of being an allrounder. It's not about a decent average or just sticking around, you have to be able to play a decent innings. He might not be as genuine an allrounder at the moment as Shane Watson but he could certainly get there.

Mister Wright

furious_ged said:
Too right, Mr Wright. I used to think Hauritz was a talented tailender, but he isn't just a defensive player, he's able to go on the attack, he has a good head on his shoulders and he has a nice array of shots, plus he can post big scores, which is an integral part of being an allrounder. It's not about a decent average or just sticking around, you have to be able to play a decent innings. He might not be as genuine an allrounder at the moment as Shane Watson but he could certainly get there.
Shane Watson might be an okay allrounder for ODayers, but he is not a consistent enough batsman for the longer version yet. He has alot of improving to do. The sooner he gets back to Qld the better. When his contract runs out, he will take Law's spot at Number 4 for next season.

Eclipse

International Debutant
I would not call Huritz anything nere an allrounder just yet but he could be one.

He certainly has batting talent I remember Ian Healy saying he expects Huritz to develope into quite a good batsman.

still for anyone who has not seen him bat or heard the raps on his batting I cant blame them for thinking he is just another tailender.

I don't think there's a huge problem with his consistency at age 22. He's hitting the hundreds alright, it's just he's not gone on with anything really big, same with Michael Clarke. I think Watson's top FC score is 108 and Clarke's is 134, they're just not good enough for the huge innings yet.