• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pura Cup

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
South Australia's middle order collapse again:

S.A. 6/213 Cosgrove 20* Davison 17* v N.S.W. (267)

Nicholson 4/41

As I'm typing Davison is hitting out.

W.A. 2/160 Rogers 57* Goodwin 55* v Vic

Mister Wright

Western Australia collapse after strong partnership.

W.A. 273 (Rogers 103, Goodwin 70, McDonald 4/35, Wise 3/56

Vic 0/12 (Elliot 8*, Mott 4*)

Trail by 251

Stumps Day 1

South Australia grab first innings points and handy lead.

N.S.W. 267

S.A. 8/372 (Cosgrove 104*, Davison 84, Nicholson 6/64)

Lead by105

Thunder storms late on Day 2

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
Davison 84 from 81, showing that he can do it in the long version as well as the shorter one....

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Cosgrove scoring a century today looks to be a real prospect. He scored 260 against the ACT in the Cricket Australia cup last week as well as a half century in the ING cup, he can bowl a bit too, SA are looking pretty good this year with the side they have. Probably just short a bowler or two.

iamdavid

International Debutant
I reckon South Australia have all the bowlers they need , they have 3 young pacemen with plenty of potential in Cleary , Rofe & Tait , that Trent Kelly looked pretty impressive to me aswell.

Davison's bowling has gone up a cog since last year so he can fill the spinners role , just wondering why they didnt give Brad Young a contract though , he was a better bowler than Davo & a handy batsman , also a brilliant feildsman , I had a lot of time for him.

Cosgrove played in that state under 19's comp last year & made 3 hundreds , I was heavily anticipating his chance at Pura Cup level , he didnt take it when it came his way last year but he has now , he's still very young & is another brilliant feildsman (despite his bulk).

Dunno how people are wanting Love when he can barely keep his side together for more than 100 runs in the first innings. If he gets back into the test side, there's no spot to accommodate his trawling style of play.
And then there was Clarke and Katich...
Katich started this season brilliantly and was 'in the form of his life' etc. but he seems to have wilted a bit lately. 69 and 5 aren't the scores of a man who is in the form of his life. Perhaps the selectors will have a look at both Clarke and Katich in the ING Cup match on Sunday. I know that it's a bit iffy to compare OD and FC performances, but I think at the moment they've got to be on the same level, and comparing them in the ING cup would act as a tiebreaker of sorts.
It worked for Hayden to make the ODI side, that didn't turn out to be an awfully bad choice :rolleyes:

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
SA look good with gillespie in the side, but lets face it hes going to be back in the test side and/or injured again soon.
They lack a bit of experience with the ball without him. a top 3 finish isnt out of reach for the redbacks but i cant see them winning it.

The Argonaut

State Vice-Captain
A guy with a triple hundred this season is obviously out of form so shouldn't be considered.

It's a pretty hard pitch to bat on at the Gabba. Tasmania did well to get 233 on the 1st day. Still Qld should have managed to get more than 104.

Craig

World Traveller
So what do you call scoring a double hundred in one day?

Even Hayden hasnt done that.

Anyway I dont rate Hayden as a one-day player.

200 in a day is good. Sounds like he's in form, something I never spoke otherwise about. But for Australia he's not going to do that, he's too fairweather.

Mister Wright

I was at the 'Gabba for the last two days. The Tassie (sorry furious_ged) 'Tasmanian' bowlers bowled much better than the Queensland bowlers. There has been a fair bit of movement in the pitch and the Queensland bowlers were way too inconsistent, the Tasmanian bowlers bowled a great line and length. Of the 80 balls Love faced, I reckon he got 8 or so bad ones and he put 5 of them away. The pitch looked hard for the batsman to get themselves in and to stay in, which is why there have been plenty of 20-40 scores and only 1 50 so far. Tasmania lead by 266 at the moment, if they get any more than 300 lead Queensland will find it very hard to chase.

Yeah I've noticed there's a bit in it for the bowlers, Tassie are finding it hard to score without the constant loss of wickets at the moment. Do you think Queensland stand much of a chance as it is? It looks to be headed for an outright result.

Mister Wright

I think the problem for Queensland is that nobody hung-in with Love, he was playing some typically elegant shots and never looked like getting out until Wright got one to move away (Love is a consistent nicker). If someone can hang around with him they should be able to do it. If they are chasing under 300 all they need is one big 100+ partnership and a few other sizeable ones and they should be able to do it. But if they can't get these last 4 wickets quickly tomorrow for under 300 lead it will be very, very hard.

There are showers forecast tomorrow, so that won't help Queensland's cause.

WA's still interested in the outright, sending Campbell in at 3. Who's next? Worthington? I think with 15 or so extra overs today, I have enough confidence in WA's bowling to knock over Victoria, depending on the target and time remaining. The only man that really stands in the way I think is Hodge.

Good win for giant-killing Tasmania. I think they're a dark horse for the Pura Cup on their start to the season. They play very well with what they have.

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
Table Update: Tassie On A High

Tasmania have started well early season in the Pura Cup. The giant killing Tassies have killed off the critics by securing themselves 1st place at this stage. The standings are:

Tas
SA
Vic
NSW
Qld
WA

Again Martin Love getting a start and failing to go on. For someone who is supposed to be the backbone of the batting order he sure is fairweather.

I wonder for how much longer the selectors will be interested in him...