• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Olympics Athletics

ripper868

International Coach
Was definitely a thing for a while, but not so much in recent times.

It has become a tradition for the men's Olympic marathon to be the last event of the athletics calendar, on the final day of the Olympics. For many years since the 1964 Tokyo Games, the race finished inside the Olympic stadium; however, at the 2004 Athens games, the finish was at the historic Panathenaic Stadium, at the 2012 London games, the start and finish were on The Mall, and at the 2016 Rio games, the start and finish were in the Sambadrome Marquês de Sapucaí, the parade area that serves as a spectator mall for Carnival At the 2020 Tokyo games, the marathon was instead held in Sapporo due to heat concerns in the host city.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
What a run and what an achievement for Sifan Hassan. Winning a marathon in an Olympic record time on a Sunday morning on an absolutely brutal course when she ran the 10,000m (and won bronze) on Friday night is amazing.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
What a run and what an achievement for Sifan Hassan. Winning a marathon in an Olympic record time on a Sunday morning on an absolutely brutal course when she ran the 10,000m (and won bronze) on Friday night is amazing.
Incredible athlete

Admit that I had never heard of her but 6 medals including 3 golds in 2 Olympics is insane for a distance runner

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
She is a beast.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
It'll be interesting to see if Hassan's achievement sees more people take on track and road events at major championships. I've heard it said that shoe technology allows athletes to recover more and train harder than they could previously so feats like Hassan's are now possible.

And I wonder if it's the sort of feat where you need a pioneer to do it and prove that it's possible before others take on the challenge.

Hungry Llama

U19 12th Man
This story about rose harvey who came 3rd from last in the marathon ran in great pain becos she had
a stress fracture of the femur is all over the media today.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
No sharing the high jump gold this time. Find it odd that you'd not take the option of a shared gold
It was pretty dumb of Hamish Kerr to want the jump off. You have a gold in your hands, doesn't matter if another person gets one too or not, you freaking have a GOLD, why on earth would you risk going down to a silver just so you can be a sole winner, selfish ****

Coronis

International Coach
It was pretty dumb of Hamish Kerr to want the jump off. You have a gold in your hands, doesn't matter if another person gets one too or not, you freaking have a GOLD, why on earth would you risk going down to a silver just so you can be a sole winner, selfish ****
Clearly someone isn’t an Alpha. I bet you’d rather go for an easy draw than risk it all to win a test match.

ataraxia

International Coach
Clearly someone isn’t an Alpha. I bet you’d rather go for an easy draw than risk it all to win a test match.
How on Earth was the response to that post worse?

reyrey

U19 Vice-Captain
No sharing the high jump gold this time. Find it odd that you'd not take the option of a shared gold
Whilst I agree with you, it only feels okay to share medals in athletics because for a long time it was very difficult to separate close finishers in track events, so sharing medals was once very normal in athletics.

That's not the case now and I'm glad they didn't share it.

Victor Ian

International Coach
I just watched a thing on when they banned the forward somersault in long jump because of the danger it would pose. If you can put a big friggin mat to land on in the high jump, surely they could do this for long jump.

reyrey

U19 Vice-Captain
I just watched a thing on when they banned the forward somersault in long jump because of the danger it would pose. If you can put a big friggin mat to land on in the high jump, surely they could do this for long jump.
I posted about this a few weeks back and wondered the same thing. Came to the conclusion the issue is probably the speed they'd be traveling at in the long jump. Those guys typically can achieve very similar running speeds as a 100m guy might over those shorter run up distances.

Getting it wrong as those speeds would be scary.

Coronis

International Coach
Ah but then you’d have to ruin/get rid of the sandpit.