• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official** West Indies in Pakistan

dass

Banned
Dravid said:
I'm not being biased. If I was would have said the Indian batting line up is better than everyone in this world, which I never did, and which isnt true also.
your an idiot dude. Lara is better then Tendulker in tests and has been through out his career. Lara Averages 52.50 with only 6 notouts while Tendulaker has 22 notouts. Not outs make a huge difference. Lara over all has played a much vital role for windies in tests then sachin has for india in tests. In oneday format i would agree that sachin is better, but thier could the reason for that too because lara bats at number 4 and sachin at 2.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Samuel_Vimes said:
West Indies' record over the last 35 away Test matches (excluding Zimbabwe and Bangladesh):

Won 1
Drawn 4
Lost 30

You can't explain all that with "poor bowling".
Shocking.

Xuhaib

International Coach
I have issues with Gaye and Sarwn in tests, an average in high 30's in the modern day test cricket is quite woeful.

Dravid

International Captain
marc71178 said:
ODIs have no relevance to Tests, and I don't see how 83 runs @ 20.75 helps your cause?
He scored a 140 something in the DLF cup...who told you he only scored 83 runs And if you read my full post, I said I know it's not the same form of the game but if you saw Sachin bat he looked more confident than he did against England.

Dravid

International Captain
Benny2k1 said:
Lara has a 100,200,300,400,500
Most runs in an over
Leading Run scorer in test history
Voted By wisden as playing more matchwinning inns.
Only record Sachin Has is Most Centries
Sachins average is better but he has a high proportion of not outs, and even with that the difference is only 3 runs in the average

Why does every thread have to have this argument???
They are both fantastic players who i rate as equals with personal preference going to Lara.
Lara also has inconsistency through out his career, while Sachin mainly did over the last year don't forget that.

And to Marc
How long does form have to continue for it to still be termed temporary then?

He's played like 11 innings since the last time he got his 35th century. I admit he wasnt at his top back then too, but he still scored 3 50's also last year. So he has been really out of form over the last year, in which he hasn't played a lot of Cricket. You guys talk like he's been out of form since like 1999.

shortpitched713

International Captain
Xuhaib said:
Gul a poor man's Asif?
Pretty harsh IMO. If anything, I'd say Gul would be the one who's more physically gifted. Hes taller, and has got more pace, but he definitely doesn't have the accuracy that Asif does at this point in their careers. Wouldn't be particularly surprised if the roles are reversed in the future, tbh.

shortpitched713

International Captain
Beleg said:
Lara, Tendulkar, Dravid and Chanderpaul are world class. Quibbling over who is better among Lara and Tendulkar is pretty useless, unless you are in it for mere pedantry.

Both Gayle and Sarwan are better then Yuvraj IMO. Sehwag is better then those two but not in the L-T-D-C league. Overall, I suppose, India's and WI batting line-ups are pretty evenly matched, however, neither team has a clear edge. Ergo, my point still stands.
I'd take Sehwag over Chanderpaul, although its fairly close. So that gives India 3 excellent batsmen, whereas West Indies have only two. If Laxman is in the side then its pretty clear to me that India is the better batting side by quite a bit. Even without Laxman, they're still better though.

Xuhaib

International Coach
shortpitched713 said:
Pretty harsh IMO. If anything, I'd say Gul would be the one who's more physically gifted. Hes taller, and has got more pace, but he definitely doesn't have the accuracy that Asif does at this point in their careers. Wouldn't be particularly surprised if the roles are reversed in the future, tbh.
Gul may be quicker but Asif is atleast a good 3 inches taller so gets more bounce and he is also better equipped in working out a batsman, both good prospects though.

Last edited:

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
dass said:
your an idiot dude. Lara is better then Tendulker in tests and has been through out his career. Lara Averages 52.50 with only 6 notouts while Tendulaker has 22 notouts. Not outs make a huge difference. Lara over all has played a much vital role for windies in tests then sachin has for india in tests. In oneday format i would agree that sachin is better, but thier could the reason for that too because lara bats at number 4 and sachin at 2.
No insults, thanks.

Also, it would be greatly appreciated if this thread did not turn into another Lara v Tendulkar debate. Consider that Tendulkar isn't even playing in this series.

Mr Mxyzptlk

shortpitched713 said:
I'd take Sehwag over Chanderpaul, although its fairly close. So that gives India 3 excellent batsmen, whereas West Indies have only two. If Laxman is in the side then its pretty clear to me that India is the better batting side by quite a bit. Even without Laxman, they're still better though.
On legacy Tendulkar is excellent. He hasn't been excellent for a while now though.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Xuhaib said:
I have issues with Gaye and Sarwn in tests, an average in high 30's in the modern day test cricket is quite woeful.
Woeful is an exaggeration surely. Average perhaps, but woeful would be under 30 or low 30s.

Gayle and Sarwan are two of those batsmen with so much potential but partnered with a heap of frustrating dismissals. Sarwan, at least, should be averaging almost 50 in Tests.

Mr Mxyzptlk

nightprowler10 said:
Isn't mentioning Sachin in a thread about West Indies just as bad though? It'd be like me bringing up Murali in the Ashes thread.
No. Because one is an endless debate with no pertinence to the series. Stating that Tendulkar hasn't performed in a while is a fact, not a debate.

Beleg

International Regular
I'm not sure if Chanderpaul is in a different league to Sehwag as your are purporting.
Chanderpaul's strength lies in his doggedness and mental toughness. In a pressure situation, I'd back him ahead of Sehwag very easily. The variance in Sehwag's performance against different countries is also greater then Chanderpaul. Not to mention, Chanderpaul has been around since 1993-94 and Sehwag made his debut in 2001-02.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
No. Because one is an endless debate with no pertinence to the series. Stating that Tendulkar hasn't performed in a while is a fact, not a debate.
And that has what do to with the series? Besides stating the facts about Sachin around here could just as easily turn into an endless debate in itself :p

Mr Mxyzptlk

nightprowler10 said:
And that has what do to with the series? Besides stating the facts about Sachin around here could just as easily turn into an endless debate in itself :p
I'm not going to argue with you over this. That'd just be stupid.

The fact is that there's no problem with discussing other issues not directly pertinent to a series, but a Lara-Tendulkar debate is a problem. And I gather you know that fully well. That is all.

catsa

Cricket Spectator
I reckon pakistan will win the test series. but im punting West Indies to win the 1 dayers.

WI got a great 1 day side. but there test side is that much flash as it was years ago.