• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official** West Indies in Pakistan

magsi23

U19 Debutant
Turbinator said:
Yes that's why we won against WI in their own home. The big difference was the batting in the last Test. No one in the WI squad stood up and took the responsibilty to bat like a world class batsmen on a very difficult pitch like Dravid did. Even without Tendulkar, our batting was far superior than that of WI, and the recent test series (especially the last test match) proved it.

Its not as if India dominated the series? it was a narrow win for the Indians just 1 Test and 1 one ODI, everyone expected India to do much better than they did

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
ASoka De Silva is the worst umpire around, period. Pakistan may have gotten the better deal of his bad decisions in this match, but that is surely just a coincidence. The guy should be put out for good.

Lara plays well, none of the others do... Same story for the Windies. Bravo and Ramdin shaped up nicely in the first inning and should really be angry at themselves for the way they got out.

Pakistan did well. Gul and Nazir is not a bad combo to have at the top, although I guess they would prefer someone better than RAzzaq as their third seamer. A better third seamer is what they need, esp. because with Shoaib Malik at 6 and Akmal at 7, I am not even sure they need Razzaq's batting insurance at 8.

Dravid

International Captain
magsi23 said:
wouldnt say better then, may be equal to WI
Hopefully thats a joke. I'm not taking anything away from the WI batting line up, but it's not better than India. Sachin>Lara, Dravid>Chanderpaul, Sarwan>Yuvraj, Sehwag>(in tests) Gayle.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Dravid said:
Hopefully thats a joke. I'm not taking anything away from the WI batting line up, but it's not better than India. Sachin>Lara, Dravid>Chanderpaul, Sarwan>Yuvraj, Sehwag>(in tests) Gayle.
well, I wouldn't say Sachin > Lara in tests, but then again, I guess Laxman > Bravo. The point is, our batting line up is NOT stronger than the Windies if we are playing five batters and expecting Dhoni and Pathan to score. IN that case, the Windies Batting > INdian batting. If we both play 6 batters going in, I think India's batting > Windies batting, but honestly, not by that much, esp. when we are overseas.

Dravid

International Captain
honestbharani said:
well, I wouldn't say Sachin > Lara in tests, but then again, I guess Laxman > Bravo. The point is, our batting line up is NOT stronger than the Windies if we are playing five batters and expecting Dhoni and Pathan to score. IN that case, the Windies Batting > INdian batting. If we both play 6 batters going in, I think India's batting > Windies batting, but honestly, not by that much, esp. when we are overseas.
Sachin avgs 55 in tests. Lara 52.

Sachins conversion rate of 50 to 100 > than Laras.

I don't want to get into that anyway.

India runs in the 1st match: 762
West Indies runs in the 1st match: 669

India runs in the 2nd match: 558(Only 1 inning played)
West Indies runs in the 2nd match: 509(2 innings played from follow on)

West Indies runs in the 3rd match: 753
India runs in the 3rd match: 660

India runs in the 4th match: 371
West Indies runs in the 4th match: 322

Figure out which was the more dominant batting side in the test series.(India weren't playing their best batsman, while West Indies was.)

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Dravid said:

I don't want to get into that anyway.

India runs in the 1st match: 762
West Indies runs in the 1st match: 669

India runs in the 2nd match: 558(Only 1 inning played)
West Indies runs in the 2nd match: 509(2 innings played from follow on)

West Indies runs in the 3rd match: 753
India runs in the 3rd match: 660

India runs in the 4th match: 371
West Indies runs in the 4th match: 322

Figure out which was the more dominant batting side in the test series.(India weren't playing their best batsman, while West Indies was.)
Lara has bigger hundreds than Sachin and he also has fewer not outs, which may explain the average. But to each his own. I still don't consider India to be as good a batting side as is being made out. And if you read my post fully, I said India do have the better batting line up when we are playing 6 full batsmen. But when we are playing just five, Sehwag, Jaffar, Dravid, Laxman and Sachin with Pathan and Dhoni at 6 and 7, things kinda even out because of Bravo and Ramdin. I think they are better than Dhoni and Pathan.

Dravid

International Captain
honestbharani said:
Lara has bigger hundreds than Sachin and he also has fewer not outs, which may explain the average. But to each his own. I still don't consider India to be as good a batting side as is being made out. And if you read my post fully, I said India do have the better batting line up when we are playing 6 full batsmen. But when we are playing just five, Sehwag, Jaffar, Dravid, Laxman and Sachin with Pathan and Dhoni at 6 and 7, things kinda even out because of Bravo and Ramdin. I think they are better than Dhoni and Pathan.
If India had a fully fit side, and they were to play 7 batsman, and Laxman wouldnt be a victim of the selectors Indias side would be Sehwag, Jaffer, Dravid, Sachin, Laxman, Yuvraj, Dhoni. Pathan would then just go in as a support batsman at #8 because you have the addition of Yuvraj, which imo would still be better than the West Indies batting line up.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Dravid said:

You can't possibly say modern day Sachin in tests is better than modern day Lara, and this is from an Indian fan who loves Sachin.

Stop being so biased.

And bringing up their averages, that means Ponting and Dravid are better than Sachin and Lara. 8-)

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Dravid said:
If India had a fully fit side, and they were to play 7 batsman, and Laxman wouldnt be a victim of the selectors Indias side would be Sehwag, Jaffer, Dravid, Sachin, Laxman, Yuvraj, Dhoni. Pathan would then just go in as a support batsman at #8 because you have the addition of Yuvraj, which imo would still be better than the West Indies batting line up.
it is the same as what I said. With the 6 + 1 line up, India > Windies, but if INdia go in with 5 + 1, then things even out and personally, I would put the Windies slightly ahead. That's all I have been trying to say.

Dravid

International Captain
Jono said:
You can't possibly say modern day Sachin in tests is better than modern day Lara, and this is from an Indian fan who loves Sachin.

Stop being so biased.

And bringing up their averages, that means Ponting and Dravid are better than Sachin and Lara. 8-)
I'm not being biased. If I was would have said the Indian batting line up is better than everyone in this world, which I never did, and which isnt true also.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Dravid said:
I'm not being biased. If I was would have said the Indian batting line up is better than everyone in this world, which I never did, and which isnt true also.
No that wouldn't be being biased. That would be being idiotic.

Dravid

International Captain
But like I said, I would never say that. We all know how dangerous Bangladesh's batting line up is.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Jono said:

Stop being so biased.

By 'modern day' I'm assuming you mean '(fairly) recent form' (?) because you could make a credible case for Tendulkar being a better Test batsman if you take his entire career.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Haha of course I mean say 2004-present, because if modern day meant in the past 20 years, then there is no other Sachin other than 'modern-day Sachin' :p

Dravid

International Captain
Jono said:
Haha of course I mean say 2004-present, because if modern day meant in the past 20 years, then there is no other Sachin other than 'modern-day Sachin' :p
You mean 2005 to present..he scored two 200s in 2004. Since the start of 2005 to present, Sachin has played 11 matches, and 18 innings, where he scored 3 50s, and 1 100

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Look at 2004 deeper Dravid. Don't just look at stats. Sachin's 2003 was ordinary, 2004 was very good statistically but not in terms of consistency (which is what has made him one of the best ever), and 2005-2006 have been ordinary again.

I reckon a true Sachin fan acknowledges his faults at the moment (and the past 3 years to be honest), and would rather him improve it. Whether it be form, injury, confidence whatever, no point pretending it doesn't exist.

Incidentally I've never seen Sachin so bad as he was against England in the 1st innings of the 3rd test this year. I felt like crying seeing the way he was batting there.

Dravid

International Captain
Jono said:
Look at 2004 deeper Dravid. Don't just look at stats. Sachin's 2003 was ordinary, 2004 was very good statistically but not in terms of consistency (which is what has made him one of the best ever), and 2005-2006 have been ordinary again.

I reckon a true Sachin fan acknowledges his faults at the moment (and the past 3 years to be honest), and would rather him improve it. Whether it be form, injury, confidence whatever, no point pretending it doesn't exist.

Incidentally I've never seen Sachin so bad as he was against England in the 1st innings of the 3rd test this year. I felt like crying seeing the way he was batting there.
If you want to look in deeper than stats, than look at him against England, and look at him recently in ODI Cricket. I admit agaisnt England it was like seeing some other batsman bat. It's not the same form of the game, but seeing him bat in the DLF cup and champions trophy makes it seem like he never lost that confidence which he did during the English series. I believe his poor form is gone and looking at the way he batted in the recent ODIs, he will start feeling confident in test too in South Africa.