• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** West Indies in England Thread

Swervy

International Captain
Arjun said:
Why does Graham Thorpe always back out of tours to India or an Ashes series? He has missed two of these events in the last few years. Or is it a coincidence?
Why does Graham Thorpe ALWAYS back out of tours to India or an Ashes series???? Wasnt aware that he ALWAYS did.....what is your point Arjun

tooextracool

International Coach
Arjun said:
Why does Graham Thorpe always back out of tours to India or an Ashes series? He has missed two of these events in the last few years. Or is it a coincidence?
actually thorpe played the first test in india and also one of the tests against australia in 01......in india after the first test i think his marriage fell apart. its just coincidence that he seems to be injured,either physically or mentally during these tours of late

badgerhair

U19 Vice-Captain
Craig said:
So what does it excatly mean?

And how does that mean I would be a ****e coach?

Come on I would like to know your apparent reasoning.
You said that Sarwan didn't have a technical problem but that his downfall was poor shot selection.

If you think that shuffling across your stumps so that you are an obvious lbw candidate for any bowler who cuts it back into you or simply bowls it straight is poor shot selection rather than a problem with technique, then I wonder what you would consider to be a technical problem which could be resolved by coaching and practice rather than "poor shot selection".

Cheers,

Mike

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Swervy said:
well i guess anything to divert attention from the cricket field is welcome relief for a WI supporter :D
Don't try to cast this off as sore loser syndrome (S.L.S. - I'm patenting that acronym). There were complaints, justified too, about this treatment since before any internationals were played on tour. The ECB should take responsibility and at the very least issue an apology and get to work on improving their attitude, lest the ICC get involved.

badgerhair

U19 Vice-Captain
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
The ECB and their ridiculous treatment of the WI team

Are all touring sides treated with such disdain?
Yes, all touring sides are treated like this. Since there are no tickets printed in advance for the fifth day of any Test, no touring team gets fifth day tickets given to them until there is a fifth day.

Nor has anyone from the ECB turned up to officially meet the squad landing at the airport in donkeys' years. I'd guess that the last time there was such a welcome party, the tourists were arriving by sea. This may well be influenced by the England team's attitude to such events, which is that absolutely the last thing they want after getting off a long flight is a lot of formal waffling by dignitaries instead of a quick dash to the hotel to have a shower and get some serious sleeping done.

If the WI team would rather sit through boring speeches and complain about allocations of non-existent tickets than concentrate on their physical preparation for the cricket, perhaps that explains why their away record is so utterly dismal.

Cheers,

Mike

Mr Mxyzptlk

badgerhair said:
You said that Sarwan didn't have a technical problem but that his downfall was poor shot selection.

If you think that shuffling across your stumps so that you are an obvious lbw candidate for any bowler who cuts it back into you or simply bowls it straight is poor shot selection rather than a problem with technique, then I wonder what you would consider to be a technical problem which could be resolved by coaching and practice rather than "poor shot selection".

Cheers,

Mike
Poor shot selection in that Sarwan knows how to play straight, but for some reason feels the need to play length balls outside and on offstump to the legside.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
badgerhair said:
Yes, all touring sides are treated like this. Since there are no tickets printed in advance for the fifth day of any Test, no touring team gets fifth day tickets given to them until there is a fifth day.

Nor has anyone from the ECB turned up to officially meet the squad landing at the airport in donkeys' years. I'd guess that the last time there was such a welcome party, the tourists were arriving by sea. This may well be influenced by the England team's attitude to such events, which is that absolutely the last thing they want after getting off a long flight is a lot of formal waffling by dignitaries instead of a quick dash to the hotel to have a shower and get some serious sleeping done.

If the WI team would rather sit through boring speeches and complain about allocations of non-existent tickets than concentrate on their physical preparation for the cricket, perhaps that explains why their away record is so utterly dismal.

Cheers,

Mike
I don't think boring speeches are made.Do you?It's just a Test series.It's not as if it's the World Cup.It's more just a touch of common courtesy.If everybody else can be accomodating why can't the ECB do it.I'm sure that even Bangladesh do provide some form of greeting.It's not an event that would require the England team's presence just a representative of the ECB.The West Indies team doesn't go to the airport and greet their opponents but a rep. from the WICB does.The West Indies at least tries to make sure that their opponents get enough practice.I've never heard of a team arriving late for a practice match in the WI.

roseboy64

Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Poor shot selection in that Sarwan knows how to play straight, but for some reason feels the need to play length balls outside and on offstump to the legside.
It's not poor shot selection.That's a technical flaw.Lara is susceptible to good fast bowling and yorkers.Is that poor shot selection?Sure Sarwan is the vice captain but what good does it do him to be playing when he keeps getting out the same way.Those runs were against Bangladesh.Not much needed to say about that.In that home series against England Sarwan was almost non-existent.Why?Because he's getting out the same way he is nowa ganist the same team.I'm sure other teams will look at tapes and see that flaw and exploit.Lara's flaw can't be exploited as much because he's worked on making it not affect his game.Sarwan needs to do same and unless he improves in the next Test it may be a good idea to drop him to make sure that he understand his problem and can work on it.It may just be good for him than going out there and having his confidence shoy by being out all the time for low scores.

roseboy64

Tom Halsey said:
So now you're saying that Banks should stay in?
Yes Banks should stay in.He entered the bowling way too early in the first innings and never was much of a threat even though he bowled well from thereon.Giles was used early by Vaughan but Giles is a much more experienced campaigner in every aspect.His batting is an asset and if Lara uses him well at the right ends and at the right times he will do good.dwards is not ready for this series.There was no justification for playing him when his form before this was bad going all the way back to South Africa.Best bowled well enough and should retain his place if fit.Collins of course should play.Lawson has been bowling ok so far and I would go for him as Edwards' replacement as Collymore as been out of serious cricket for a while.

Mr Mxyzptlk

roseboy64 said:
It's not poor shot selection.That's a technical flaw.Lara is susceptible to good fast bowling and yorkers.Is that poor shot selection?
That's not the same thing. Come with a better opening illustration and I'll read the rest of your comment.

Mr Mxyzptlk

badgerhair said:

Cheers,

Mike
So your attempt at defending the behaviour of the ECB toward the touring side is to attack the attitude and mentality of the touring side? Kindred spirits...

Tom Halsey

International Coach
roseboy64 said:
Yes Banks should stay in.He entered the bowling way too early in the first innings and never was much of a threat even though he bowled well from thereon.Giles was used early by Vaughan but Giles is a much more experienced campaigner in every aspect.His batting is an asset and if Lara uses him well at the right ends and at the right times he will do good.dwards is not ready for this series.There was no justification for playing him when his form before this was bad going all the way back to South Africa.Best bowled well enough and should retain his place if fit.Collins of course should play.Lawson has been bowling ok so far and I would go for him as Edwards' replacement as Collymore as been out of serious cricket for a while.
I agree - what I'm questioning is Craig's sudden change of opinion.

roseboy64

Mr Mxyzptlk said:
That's not the same thing. Come with a better opening illustration and I'll read the rest of your comment.
It's a technical flaw because he doesn't put himself in a position to play a straight shot to a straight ball.You can work a straight ball to leg if your technique is correct.To play that ball to leg you front foo t should be poitning to mid on as you go back and across your satumps.Sarwan goes back and across but when he is about to work the ball to leg he is jumping back and trying to bring his bat into contact with the ball when his bat his too far away from his body.He doesn't out himself in the correct batting postion to play certain shots and therefore he has a technical flaw.Also to play that straight shot your front foot should be pointing in the direction of mid off.

roseboy64

Poor shot selection is when you are side on and your front foot is pointing to mid off and you're trying to pull a ball that is way outside off stump.Nothing is wrong with that technique as you put yourself in a position to play the cut shot or a drive.

badgerhair

U19 Vice-Captain
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
So your attempt at defending the behaviour of the ECB toward the touring side is to attack the attitude and mentality of the touring side? Kindred spirits...
I'm not defending the ECB, particularly, except from the charge that they have treated WI unusually poorly compared to other tourists.

But I admit to surprise that the WI team wanted formal greetings, more on the grounds that I usually want to get straight to the hotel as soon as I've cleared immigration than because of any great feeling either way.

On the other hand, you'd have thought that the WI team had rather more to worry about than whether or not some blazer turned out at Heathrow when they arrived.

Cheers,

Mike

roseboy64

It isn't the WI team that's worrying about it.It's their fans.It's because we were courteous to the England team and the same wasn't recieved.Poor us to think that a little common courtesy was to be expected from an international organisation.

Swervy

International Captain
roseboy64 said:
It isn't the WI team that's worrying about it.It's their fans.It's because we were courteous to the England team and the same wasn't recieved.Poor us to think that a little common courtesy was to be expected from an international organisation.

what..the same common courtesy that ensured that any English fans wanting to go and support their team inthe WI had to pay through the nose for the privilage

badgerhair

U19 Vice-Captain
roseboy64 said:
I suppose what really ticks me off about this whole thing is that when England teams and their supporters on tour used to whinge on about things like this, it was taken as an example of how ghastly the English were. And rightly so, because that's what it was.

Cheers,

Mike

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Swervy said:
what..the same common courtesy that ensured that any English fans wanting to go and support their team inthe WI had to pay through the nose for the privilage
outstanding Swervy :) i tip my hat to you!