• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** West Indies in England Thread

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
roseboy64 said:
If Sarwan fails to correct his technique Joseph may get his Test debut.
That's a very very stupid comment. Sarwan is the third best batsman in the West Indies team and is not going to get displaced by an uncapped batsman who averages under 30 in FC cricket. Sarwan averages over 40 in Test cricket! He has hundreds against Australia and South Africa.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Revelation said:
Adamc, i don't know where you get your stats from but since the beginning of 2002 (WI vs NZ, Jun 21 2002)[before this match]:

Chanderpaul: 1259 runs @ 40.61 with 5 100s and 4 50s
Lara: 2407 runs @ 72.93 with 8 100s and 8 50s.
I get my stats from here. I stand by my original claim that Chanderpaul has scored 2147 runs at 55.05 since April 2002, with 9 centuries (1 more than Lara). Obviously Lara scores at a higher average, but that doesn't contradict my point. I was merely pointing out that Chanderpaul has been very consistent over that period.

Why, where do you get your stats from? ;)

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Adamc said:
I get my stats from here. I stand by my original claim that Chanderpaul has scored 2147 runs at 55.05 since April 2002, with 9 centuries (1 more than Lara). Obviously Lara scores at a higher average, but that doesn't contradict my point. I was merely pointing out that Chanderpaul has been very consistent over that period.

Why, where do you get your stats from? ;)
a squillion bucks says cricinfo...

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Hard Harry said:
Disappointed with the MOTM. Given the circumstances that he had to bat in, I reckon Chanderpaul should have got the nod.

Can't say Giles deserved it - two 1st innings wickets were to dodgy decisions and the fourth was the #11. As for the second innings, all he had to do was aim at the rough. The ball that got Lara looked like it kept lower than he expected, Bravo played a terrible shot and the less said about Tino Best the better.

Just in case you're wondering, no I don't rate Giles - even Rod Latham managed a 5-for once! ;-)
hard harry indeed...

Craig

World Traveller
marc71178 said:
No, writing it off without watching it is nonsense.
Well why not say that to your buddy Liam, he has on a few occasions commented, even diagreed with me and he has not seen it?

At hasn't stopped other people as well.

Craig

World Traveller
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
That sums up the ridiculous nature of your argument. Statistics do not equate accuracy. Accuracy can not be quantified as such. It's not quite so simple. There have been many times in the history of the game when accurate bowlers have been expensive. Many many times. For example, Collins bowled pretty accurately in his second to last spell of the England 2nd innings. He was hit by Vaughan for 4 fours in his only over of the spell, despite getting the ball on a decent length and middle and offstump line.

Besides, the England run rate was 4.23, so Banks' economy of 3.53 wasn't that bad ey?
You never actually answered my question on what you define accurate (not in stats).

Craig

World Traveller
roseboy64 said:
Chanderpaul missed out on a hundred.Once again WI batting wilts in the second innings.
I think this Test match has shown why Chanderpaul is one of the most under-rated batsmen in Test cricket. Whenever WI need him to make a big score, or hang in there and not give his wicket away, he does.

His century in Guyana was the reason why the WI got up to over 230, and his century in St Johns was the catalist for WI winning along with Sarwan's ton, and Banks contributions.

------------------------------------------------

If Brian Lara didn't have a go at Tino Best for playing such a silly attempted slog I would be disappionted in Lara.

Nobody is expecting Best to hang in there and get 78*, but that was reckless to the extreme.

Craig

World Traveller
roseboy64 said:
If Sarwan fails to correct his technique Joseph may get his Test debut.
Technique wise, Sarwan could probably write a book on it.

His problems are shot selection and maybe some uncertainess because of the WI's policy of chopping-and-changing his batting position.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Craig said:
Well why not say that to your buddy Liam, he has on a few occasions commented, even diagreed with me and he has not seen it?

At hasn't stopped other people as well.

Read what I put - "writing it off without watching it is nonsense"

Liam has not written it off, and to the best of my knowledge has actually watched it, so only 2 wrong statements there.

The other people who haven't written it off (such as Halsey) also watched it - spot a pattern there?

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Craig said:

His problems are shot selection and maybe some uncertainess because of the WI's policy of chopping-and-changing his batting position.
i dont think its just sarwan who better watch out... mind u arent joseph stats not too flash? high 20s - low 30s? still hes looked good from wat ive seen

badgerhair

U19 Vice-Captain
Craig said:

That Sarwan could probably write a book on technique is neither here nor there. There are plenty of people who can write books on how things should be done but who don't follow their own advice.

It's a good thing you're not a coach, I'd say, because if you think that Sarwan's obvious technical failings against England this year are a product of poor shot selection and a policy of chopping and changing (for which, incidentally, I'd love to see some evidence given the remarkable stability of Sarwan's position at #3 these last three years), then there isn't a player in the world with minor technical faults whom you could even begin to think of advising.

As far as I can see, you couldn't have posted anything less accurate about Sarwan if you'd tried.

Cheers,

Mike

Craig

World Traveller
marc71178 said:
The dropping of a bowler who actually bowled pretty well.
Well it is Best's injury that would mean Banks stays in.

Either way Edwards has to be carrying on the drinks on Thursday.

Craig

World Traveller
badgerhair said:
As far as I can see, you couldn't have posted anything less accurate about Sarwan if you'd tried.
So what does it excatly mean?

And how does that mean I would be a ****e coach?

Come on I would like to know your apparent reasoning.

Kent

State 12th Man
Can Badgerhair coach me on exuding a more aloof, pompous nature? I need to be advised on a few minor faults... ;)

'Cheers',
Kent

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
Tom Halsey said:
Are you Chris Hinton in disguise?

Sorry, but how is having an average speed of 51 mph bowling flat?
Nope. 'fraid not. Like I said, I was side on, didn't see much in the way of flight. 51 mph is only slow relative to a fast bowler you know.